TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1984 Westy windshield wipers :-/
Slowdude12 Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:01 pm

Hey Everyone I'm back again seeking more help. So far I'm 2 for 2 fixing my van from knowledge gained via this forum and I'm looking to make if 3 for 3.

This time it's my poor windshield wipers. Both motors work, switch works, new blades installed. Problem is the driver side wiper will be going just fine then get stuck or something, then over rotate and flop off the windshield to my left resting on my side view mirror.

How can I fix this?

Syncro Jael Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Take a look at the splines where the arm attaches.
If they are worn smooth that is probably your problem.

Try some Red Loctite on the splines (not the threads) cinch the arm and nut down and let it set up a few hours. See if that will do the trick.

dhaavers Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:42 pm

Actually, the splines are not <worn> smooth; they are likely loaded up with the softer metal of
the wiper arm. The harder metal of the splines is designed to dig into the softer metal of the
wiper arm, adding mechanical advantage to what would otherwise only be a friction fitting.

Use a small knife or pick to scrape the splines clear.

Reinstall & snug tight, but not too tight.

If yours seems buggered, the usual vendors sell a kit with replacement hardware.

Be nice them and they'll keep working for a long time.
(ie: clear snow off them, don't hang things on them, even lubricate the shaft while you're in there…)

madspaniard Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:52 pm

dhaavers wrote: Actually, the splines are not <worn> smooth; they are likely loaded up with the softer metal of
the wiper arm. The harder metal of the splines is designed to dig into the softer metal of the
wiper arm, adding mechanical advantage to what would otherwise only be a friction fitting.

Use a small knife or pick to scrape the splines clear.

Reinstall & snug tight, but not too tight.

If yours seems buggered, the usual vendors sell a kit with replacement hardware.

Be nice them and they'll keep working for a long time.
(ie: clear snow off them, don't hang things on them, even lubricate the shaft while you're in there…)

agree, plus this

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4373&category_id=&category_parent_id=

Ahwahnee Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:30 pm

dhaavers wrote: ...Reinstall & snug tight, but not too tight...

Yeah, 'not too tight' -- as there are several threads on what to do if you snap off ones of those posts.

human compass Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:55 pm

yep, fixed my 84 as described.

Slowdude12 Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:42 pm

Solved.
3 for 3!
Thanks!