TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Syncro Skid Plate - Your Skid Plate Photo?
Syncro Jael Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Is there some reason the stock Syncro skid bar did not have a plate(s) to protect the transaxle and engine better? I have seen a few that others have built on this site, just wondering.

My 87 only had the prop shaft bars and no protection from the front of the transaxle to the rear of the Subaru EJ22 engine.

I built my own and added skid plates to the bottom but have since opened some holes up in the plates for air circulation of the transaxle, and to make draining the tranny easy without removing the skid bar. I wanted some protection so that if I hit the bottom at least I know it is a plate and not the tranny, oil pan, or exhaust. I am willing to loose a little ground clearance for the protection.

Do you have recommendations or pics of yours?
Anyone have overheating issues because of your skid plates?

Thanks in advance... :wink:

Syncronicity Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:29 pm

I just started another skid plate topic with a photo. Don't know that it will be any help. It is off a stock Syncro. Gotta get these rigs ready for a SS14 flogging :D
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584051

hans j Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:59 pm

Here is mine:

No overheating issues (or even getting hot) yet but I left the big ribs open to cool. There is a thread on homemade syncro armor. Check my gallery on page 5-6 for more of that skid plate. I also was able to tuck it up closer to the trans by leaving the big ribs open too. I strengthened the engine plate after skidding the weight of the van across rocks and bending it slightly... It should be strong enough now!

syncrodoka Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:18 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...mor+armour

MsTaboo Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Heres what Bostig came up with for the Zetec.
Nice bit of kit.

insyncro Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:39 pm

The Bostig protection kit is by far the best available from the conversion folks, IMHO.
Watch the video Jim and Brady made testing it.

dougnlina Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:58 pm

Added a Skidplate to my 1.8T Syncro. Before this, there was not anything aft of the two driveshaft bars. There is a (somewhat hidden) welded tube structure from those to the center "hoop" with a 1/4" aluminum plate protecting the transmission, then there is a folded 1/4" plate protecting the oil pan. I still may add some longitudinal tubing to the two sides of the support hoops at the engine, but for now I feel confident I wont loose an oil pan to a rock when I go off road.