TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 66 Squareback called Patches - Sea Sand L568 - Build Thread Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
tim3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:34 am

The long awaited and long overdue thread about the trials and tribulations of Patches a 1966 Squareback down on its luck.

So I will start off by saying I rarely post anything good happing to my car Patches. So this will hopefully reflect a brighter side of my car.

You might notice there are multiple different beige colors of paint in square shapes on the car hence the name Patches. :)

Here are a few pics to start off the thread...

This is the before and after shot.

Drove over to show my friend and her type 4 Patches (few days after buying patches)

The 1915cc motor with modified dual 32 solexs

(Note this will predominantly be typed from my cell so try and ignore typos thanks)

tim3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:49 am

I carry a sledge hammer for various reasons.. mostly to kill.. lol

when I lowered it too much in the back:

Then I lifted her to a good ride height rake:

MonT3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:04 am

Nice square tim3. 135s up-front/ 165 out-back? What brand tires you sporting with the whitewalls?

tim3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:08 am

I quickly ordered some flat lenses, clear corners, and a fog light bar from ISPwest:

tim3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:11 am

MonT3 wrote: Nice square tim3. 135s up-front/ 165 out-back? What brand tires you sporting with the whitewalls?

I am running 145/65/15 up front and 165/80/15 out back

the brand tires in the front are fromt tire rack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Y...mpare1=yes

tim3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:16 am

Then I started dreaming on type3 selecta plus a little photoshop to add some Patches :) http://www.busselecta.com/type3/

My master plan is now to change the lug pattern over to 5x130 and get 17" fuchs. Going to do rear disc brackes from CB performance and front rotors from Cip1

tim3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:24 am

This is where Patches lives and that is my dog wolfie who loves to drive the car.. i'll post pics of her driving the car soon ;) In this small space all the work on Patches is getting done, besides the few stints at Tassi (which I DO NOT recommend for anything other then parts or small jobs)

tim3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 am

during this past summer after i bought Patches I took her on a ton of road trips, and some shows. She also met a few friends along the way.. after all those road trips the tire exploded because they were old tires from the 80's that i should of replaced.. :/

My dog loves to sit up front and drive lol:

After the 2013 Nor Cal Vintage VW & Porsche Treffen August 4, 2013 to get some food:

Patches meets the bigger brother:

And thennnnn.. the tire exploded:

Then got some new rear tires and kept mashing:

tim3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:21 pm

I really love the original style roll over two tone look that you seen in the early type 3's but TMI doesnt carry that option. So I had them make a custom pattern.. they got it pretty close on the fronts and almost exact on the back (i'll post more interior pics later).. And of course my fiance showing off the new interior and her new tattoo.. ;)

TMI custom Roll Over Style inspired by Early type 3 interiors:

Jason37 Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks for posting! I am very curious to learn more about the interior.

EasternNotch Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Hey Tim3 I contacted you for info about this interior the other day. Looks good man! Any shots of the rear seat? I am thinking about this sytle for my car having all but givin up on # 73 Red cord material -

I think the red mesh looks good esp. with that roll over look. I wonder if they can make the smooth go down closer to the arm rest?

Thanks for posting this up

Lucas

tim3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:50 pm

Jason37 wrote: Thanks for posting! I am very curious to learn more about the interior.

I sent this image to Heather at TMI so they understood what I was looking for with my type 3 interior.. they matched the rear very well but the front seats look more like the bug roll over style (shown in this image on the left) height then the type 3 (in the middle)

tim3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:11 pm

EasternNotch wrote: Hey Tim3 I contacted you for info about this interior the other day. Looks good man! Any shots of the rear seat? I am thinking about this sytle for my car having all but givin up on # 73 Red cord material -

I think the red mesh looks good esp. with that roll over look. I wonder if they can make the smooth go down closer to the arm rest?

Thanks for posting this up

Lucas

Hey Lucas, I'll snap off some photos this weekend! Would be rad to convince TMI to lower their template to match the height of the arm rest better.. Believe me I tried but no dice with out a hefty up charge.. The rear for some reason they got right.. I'll show you soon..

squaretobehip Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:53 pm

Did you get the sticker?

tim3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:00 pm

The sticker?

squaretobehip Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:18 pm

tim3 wrote: The sticker?

Did you get the linkage piece?

tim3 Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:07 pm

Arrives tomorrow via ups ..ill post pics of the install lol.. if i like the said sticker maybe that too

squaretobehip Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:40 pm

Sea sand and whitewalls. Mmmm... 8)

joey1320 Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:23 pm

Great looking square :D

tim3 Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Here is a shot of the back seat custom TMI roll over style.. a tad lower then the rear arm rests but pretty close to me ;)