TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rocky Jennings Rear Heater Valve - Beefy! Page: Previous  1, 2
guzyk Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Now that the official plastic valve is NLA I ordered this neato brass valve from Samba seller PocketRocket, it arrived in two days in a nice Priority Mail box.

The van I was installing it into is an 85 tintop passenger van. The black plastic heater cover in the tintop interferes with the blue handle valve.

I ended up removing the blue coated handle, shortening it, and hammering it flat so it would stay entirely inside the heater box.

While the heater cover was removed, I also had to enlarge the circle to a "D". This was easy to do with my Dremel but you could drill a bunch of small holes and/or use a hacksaw etc. I just extended the top and bottom of the circle back to the seam (see photo below).

You could just enlarge the hole and use the blue handle unmodified, but if you have junk under your seat there may be interference when cargo shifts.

Also, easy way to remember which is open vs closed...point the handle towards the driver and you get heat. Point it down and heat stays away.

jeff huebner Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:30 am

Hay Dude, I'm so glad I read your post before I installed my new heater valve. Cutting off the valve handle and pounding it flat was brilliant. I always have so much stuff under the seat that would interfere with the long handle. this was very helpful. Keep warm this winter!!

Corwyn Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:33 pm

That's a lot o' work and money for a shutoff valve. I use my rear heater and it doesn't (no will it) leak. I fixed it right. Your "fix" cannot actuate the rear heater from the dash, can it?

LandSailor Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:41 pm

That's a very confusing response.

The price of these is comparable to the VW part that is no longer available.

The only control for the rear heater from the dash is the fan speed.