TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pelican 1720 Install Page: 1, 2  Next
outdoornate65 Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:13 am

I scored a new Pelican 1720 case on CL last week and finally had a chance to do the install yesterday. I looked at the locking strap that GW sells to secure the box to the luggage rack but did not like that option for a couple reasons.
I considered just bolting the box to the top but I need to be able to remove the box easily since I have about 1/2inch of clearance to get in the garage and the Pelican box sits proud of the luggage rack by a couple inches.
I had Pelican case luggage on my BMW GS650 that I got from Roger of Caribou Luggage in Boulder. I knew he had some other hardware options for Pelican cases so I contacted him and he suggested a kit that would work for this application (He owns a sweet 1986 Westy).

Beefy steel tabs mounted on the box index into plates mounted to the luggage rack. The case is locked in place by two 1/4 turn pins that are secured with a special key.

Think the install is pretty slick and offers another option for secure/waterproof storage up top.

MayorMcCheese Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:36 pm

I want one

PDXWesty Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:38 pm

What do you plan on keeping up there? For me, the storage size is so limited that I don't know what I would use it for.

SCM Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:04 pm

PDXWesty wrote: What do you plan on keeping up there? For me, the storage size is so limited that I don't know what I would use it for.

I'm curious of that too. My luggage tray is where my camp chairs and table go.

furrylittleotter Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Beautiful and awesome approach for modular storage. You could buy three boxes and have one in the house, one in the van and one on top as needed Love it.

Thanks for sharing.

I see the wet blankets are already putting it down so now you KNOW it's a great idea.

Neil2

photogdave Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:27 pm

PDXWesty wrote: What do you plan on keeping up there? For me, the storage size is so limited that I don't know what I would use it for.

It's a gun case. Don't all you Americans carry guns with you wherever you go?

:2gunfire: Yee-haa!! :2gunfire:

Jeff's Old Volks Home Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:56 pm

My 1720 Pelican case is my 'garage' when I'm traveling. I made a strap not unlike GoWestys, before they had them. All my tools, spares, coveralls, gloves, aerosols fit perfectly in there. I access it through the pop top front window, everything in there is in it's own roll or box or bag. It's fairly well organized and now the camper interior is for camping stuff only. It completely water proof.
Also I use it when I deliver customers vans, I've delivered one from Halifax to Vancouver last October and just FedExed it home for about $120. Cheap insurance when driving a van I don't own. I do it often too. A few times a year at least.
Jeff

SCM Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:56 pm

furrylittleotter wrote: I see the wet blankets are already putting it down so now you KNOW it's a great idea.

Neil2

No, I'm not putting it down at all.

I was really intrigued by the way the Pelican case fits so perfectly up there and considered getting one myself. But then I realized there wasn't anything that I carry that needed to be protected from the elements AND would fit in the box.

I think the attachment system that the OP is using is top notch - no need to unbuckle straps etc to access the stuff inside. It's great work - I'm hoping he can help convince me that I need one too :lol:

scobax Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:35 pm

@ outdoornate65,

Nice looking solution. Can you tell me where you sourced the mounting hardware and how the kit is identified? I could use a set like that.

Thanks!

outdoornate65 Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I imagine I will keep tools, spares and some recovery gear in there as well as maybe some outdoor gear. Being black and exposed (ie:hot), I don't think I'll stow anything delicate up there. Case is actually very roomy.

May not take it on short trips but think it will be a nice unit for longer trips when every inch of storage counts.

Yes, it is a gun case but I will not be using it for that purpose.

Want to also give props to Roger at Caribou Luggage for being such a cool guy to work with. His products and customer service are awesome.

Nate

SCM Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:21 pm

outdoornate65 wrote: Being black and exposed (ie:hot),

That's something that came to mind when Jeff mentioned aerosol cans. He probably doesn't have to worry about in Nova Scotia but...

I was once on a trip to southern Utah with some other Montanans. One of the girls left a can of bear spray in her Rubbermade camp box when she packed for the trip. She went to open the box one hot afternoon and the can exploded. I had left camp by this time but the aftermath sounded horrible.

Jeff's Old Volks Home Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:30 pm

Good thinking, although it not hot here in Nova Scotia, the sun will heat up my road shower. I'm going to rethink the aerosol storage his year.
Jeff

Rodknock Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:43 pm

scobax wrote: @ outdoornate65,

Nice looking solution. Can you tell me where you sourced the mounting hardware and how the kit is identified? I could use a set like that.

Thanks!

ok, shameless plug warning. You can get the mounting hardware here... http://cariboucases.com/Case-Mounts-for-Vehicle-Trailer-RV-Boat/

Basically you slide the rear forks that are attached to the back bottom of the case into those two flange bushings sticking up from the aluminum bases attached to the Westy. Then you use the key to turn the quarter-turn fasteners at the front side of the case to lock it down. I've never integrated a lock into the lid of the 1720, but if outdoornate stops by the shop we can try it. Then the case lid will lock shut too.

ok, end of shameless plug. Back to being the mild mannered Rodknock.

outdoornate65 Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:52 pm

Rodknock wrote: scobax wrote: @ outdoornate65,

Thanks!

ok, shameless plug warning. You can get the mounting hardware here... http://cariboucases.com/Case-Mounts-for-Vehicle-Trailer-RV-Boat/

Basically you slide the rear forks that are attached to the back bottom of the case into those two flange bushings sticking up from the aluminum bases attached to the Westy. Then you use the key to turn the quarter-turn fasteners at the front side of the case to lock it down. I've never integrated a lock into the lid of the 1720, but if outdoornate stops by the shop we can try it. Then the case lid will lock shut too.

ok, end of shameless plug. Back to being the mild mannered Rodknock.

Boo ya....field-trip to Boulder.

kalispell365 Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:44 pm

This is one of those times I miss living in Boulder...Roger is a super nice guy.I carry all my tools,spare parts,jack,jumper cables,etc,up there,actually quite a bit of room.
Now,being in Montana,I also use this size of case for the vanagon of long range...The versatile AR-15! (not in my roof though...)

Super clean install,good job!

redeyeksc Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:32 pm

I know Pelican cases are pretty pimp, but has anyone found another brand of case that would do the trick at a fraction of the cost?

These could do the trick at a fifth of the cost:
http://www.amazon.ca/Plano-10586-Double-Scoped-Shotgun/dp/B001MYGM5A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_s_6

I just haven't found one with the right dimensions yet.

tarandusVDub Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:52 pm

I really like this as a tool and spare part storage solution ~ but the black hotness seems like an issue. I see they make them in desert tan ~ anyone have one of those ~ would they be a lot cooler?

Or, could you spray it white with the appropriate type of paint to make it cooler? I too am trying to convince myself I need one!

geo_tonz Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:19 pm

What about something like this?

http://www.deakin.com/Shop/Products/?c=355

The handles are pretty heavy duty so a ratchet strap through them attached to the tie downs would be very secure and allow the lid to still be opened. they have weatherstripping around the inside of the lid that seals them from rain or dust. I used one strapped to a quad rack going down dusty trails, steam crossings...without having any leaks. The 3 or 4 section office one could be good to keep fluids, etc separate from tools. I use a small one as my poratable file cabinet for every job I go on. it takes a Sh*t Kicking and still protects the laptop and camera equipment I put in it. They can be padlocked closed too. Industry standard for geologists!

furrylittleotter Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:09 pm

Long range vanagon occupant protection system.

Lotek Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:17 pm

I use one of these:

http://www.jgsales.com/military-medical-chest,-aluminum,-used.-p-4586.html

This and a single milk crate fit perfectly in the luggage area and are exactly the same height.