TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: September 1955 Karmann, 61,000 mile barn find Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
0nebadbug Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:39 pm

:popcorn:

tisius Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 am

If that's all the rust you had to repair (+ the pan halved of course) then you have a very solid vert on your hands that was spared mostly by the rust devil.

You didn't have to brace the body?

52brezelfenster Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Great car Will. We share a similar perspective, I have kids around the same ages as yours and this is what it's all about:

oldsplitvw wrote: I want to really enjoy this car: Solvang drive, teach my kids how to drive stick, bundle up in December and look at Christmas lights with the top down, etc etc.

Looking forward to updates as things progress.

Dustin

stale air Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:50 pm

oldsplitvw wrote: I want to really enjoy this car: Solvang drive, teach my kids how to drive stick, bundle up in December and look at Christmas lights with the top down, etc etc.

Dig it. Thats exactly what I do with my car. It creates awesome memories.
Btw, if i didnt say it already, killer car.

oldsplitvw Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks again guys for your feedback, I can't wait to show the car in person. To answer the previous question, yes the body was braced for the welding.

New Gerson pans. From my understanding, late 1955 cars such as this (AKA early 1956 model year) had a unique seat track with the "ski jump" in the middle. These original seat tracks were spot welded onto the new pans to retain the original correct look

Replated all original hardware. I love the look

Rust? What rust :D

That'll do pig. That'll do.

Will

Boomsma Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:37 am

Wow what a great story about this wonderfull car 8)
Never noticed this threat until today :oops: but I'll follow it from now.

And I think we both share that feeling of being very lucky about finding a unrestored old VW convertible.

This is my 1960 vert, also found somewhere (laffayette is written in a maintenence book which was with the car) in CaliforniŽ by the (belgium)
owner before me around 16 years ago and sold it to me in less than a year after.
He didn't tell me how he found it and didn't response on my mails with questions about it any further unfortunatly :?

Like your beauty it was never (and still isn't) fully restored and complete but had a new roof, bumpers, hubcaps (poor quality though, replaced those a few years later) and white wall tires.

But enough about mine, love your story about your awesome vert and I'll follow your topic.
I guess you restore it to it's original form, also it's 6 volt electric?
Anyway, keep up the good work, looking forward for new updates :popcorn:

Kind regards, Martin

motofly196 Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:07 am

The pan came out REALLY nice! Did you have your fasteners re-plated in black oxide? They look perfect!

oldsplitvw Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:24 am

Wow Martin! Great car! Thank you for sharing.

I had a great Sunday, Corey brought back the car, and it is a 100% running, driving and registered car. I couldn't be happier, it is tight and solid, but still has that old beetle "soul"

Corey Smith of Smitty's Auto Body. The main man behind the preservation.

CAN WE GO FOR A RIDE DAAAAAAAAD!?!?!?! Yes. Yes you can. :)

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is named Penelope. I think she enjoyed the drive the least.

DONE! Still a few things to fix here and there, but for the most part I am just going to enjoy the heck out of this thing.

Will

Boomsma Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 am

Great to see it driving again, the car looks stunning.
It is so much fun driving an old beetle, espaccially a convertible on a nice sunny day 8)
If the wether is fine I prefer it much above any modern car with all those extra luxuary.

Seeing your short movie I want to drive mine too, mayby I will if the wether stays dry :lol:

Clatter Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:48 pm

Wow! :shock:

What a great position to be in right now..

All you have to do to make this car appear an original survivor again is to drive it in the rain a couple of times!
:D