TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1964 356C HP/gearing?
catahoula lou Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:35 pm

Hey, I'm considering buying a friend's 1964 356C, which has a DP 1600 VW engine in it that is topped with an Empi 38 carb (yes, a "Vorsche"). The original engine is long gone.

How much HP does this engine set-up typically produce and how much HP did the original engine typically produce?

Also, what gearing does the transaxle have it it?

Best,

Thom

Jacks Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:04 am

Answer to question #1:Maybe 65hp.
#2: 88 up to 95hp+ if big bore.
#3: Most likely BBBC or BBBD (1 tooth different in 4th)

catahoula lou Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:00 am

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your reply. Which engine produces which HP? Like I said, I was told the engine in it is a 1600 DP with an EMPI 38 carb.

So, how much HP would this engine typically put out?

How much HP did the original Porsche engine typically put out?

WRT the transaxle, I'm interested in what the typical gearing (ring/pinion, gears) this car likely has.

Best,

Thom

Jon Schmid Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:45 am

catahoula lou wrote: I'm sorry, but I don't understand your reply. Which engine produces which HP? Like I said, I was told the engine in it is a 1600 DP with an EMPI 38 carb.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your reply. Which engine produces which HP? Like I said, I was told the engine in it is a 1600 DP with an EMPI 38 carb.

So, how much HP would this engine typically put out? Answer to question #1:Maybe 65hp.

How much HP did the original Porsche engine typically put out? #2: 88 up to 95hp+ if big bore.

WRT the transaxle, I'm interested in what the typical gearing (ring/pinion, gears) this car likely has. #3: Most likely BBBC or BBBD (1 tooth different in 4th)

Best,

Thom

Thom: I think Jack answered your questions quite clearly and accurately. If you don't understand the letter codes for the transmission gears, now's a good time to look them up and start learning about the car.
Good luck--
Jon

catahoula lou Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:03 pm

Jon:

My response was to the original answer, which was not clear regarding HP. What you are seeing on the thread now is the edited response, which is clear. You can tell by the date/time stamps on the edited response and my response.

He was clear on both the original/edited responses regarding the coding.

Thom