TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Atlantic Canada Weekend Campout.Date is set Duplicate POST!! Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Jeff's Old Volks Home Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:49 am

Any interest in a barely organized get together at a provincial park, say Graves Island? or Rissers Beach? this summer or fall? It would be a weekend of fun for VW junkies, I could bring a few 'trinkets' as prizes for a long distance award, who arrived on a flat bed award, the most unique 'homemade' westy accessory. That kind of thing. A few of my friends/customers have already volunteered to help with the planning.
Would summer or fall be better? I realize that whatever date we choose won't work for everyone. I'm open to ideas!
Jeff

Alex Proulx Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:18 am

Great idea, I love Graves Island. I have no preference for time of the year and can't really comit that far in advance due to my work schedule but once the date is out I will do my best to attend. I am a very lonely westy owner in Moncton and can't wait to meet others.
Alex

CansoJim Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:12 am

Great idea. Would give us a chance to meet one another and see all the local vans. Early fall might be better as there isn't as much going on. If I'm not working, I will be there :)

Jim.

bjrogers86auto Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:40 am

The weekend of the 12-14th of September we usually are at Rissers. It's generally not too busy and the weather often fantastic.

During the summer months Graves would be more likely to have places open and the paddling is sweet!

Keji is always another great option!

Would it be asking too much to have two?

I see your van all the time Jim! It will be great to meet up one day!

Brian

snowsyncro Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:15 am

I'm in for any time, unless I'm not (meaning away).

RonC

syncroluvr Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:43 am

My girlfriend has family in NB (Tracadie) and to swing down and meet the "down home" crowd would be a blast. We will just have to see how much of our repair budget remains unused! :D

Jeff's Old Volks Home Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:27 pm

Plus anyone interested in helping out, please PM me...
:)

Halifaxwesty Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:33 pm

I'm in....

Fall be better for me....

Jeff you will need a name for the gathering....

Wait i'm on it....

Novanagons on the Beach?

.....thats all I got....sorry

bjrogers86auto Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:50 pm

I like it...BUT...it might come off sounding like NO Vanagons on the beach...

Might need to add a syllable...Nova-Vanagons on The Beach!

OR we could go with JOVHGATB. (Jeff's Old Volks Home Gathering at the Beach)

Is this what you meant by "help" Jeff?

B

geo_tonz Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:08 pm

"Westfailia Kitchen Party"?
"Vanagon Ceili"?
"Actung Ceili"?
"Scotian Vanfest"?

To bad I'm a continent away...sounds like fun!

Can anyone tell I'm procrastinating at work?

Jeff's Old Volks Home Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:31 pm

bjrogers86auto wrote: I like it...BUT...it might come off sounding like NO Vanagons on the beach...

Might need to add a syllable...Nova-Vanagons on The Beach!

OR we could go with JOVHGATB. (Jeff's Old Volks Home Gathering at the Beach)

Is this what you meant by "help" Jeff?

B
Oh boy... What have I done! :)

pigryder Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:19 pm

gonna watch this, just might be in the area….. :D

chojinchef Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Depending on the dates, I might very well be interested. Been saying I need to bring my son north to see where my mothers family hails (Surrette's Island NS and Cocagne NB).

Maybe this is finally the time?

Just got my kid his first passport too!

LP

bjrogers86auto Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:04 pm

If your talking about Surette Island in the Tuskets near Yarmouth you owe it to your son to bring him! We paddled there last September and it was my first time immersing myself in that area. It's spectacular! We had instructors from around the country and world who we're marvelling at the beauty the Tuskets had to offer. Don't delay! :) The second annual Bay of Fundy Sea Kayak Symposium takes place there this September 12-14th. It's an amazing weekend!

If the dates don't line up for pigryder,aka Brian, we can always make a special allowance. :)

Pssst...it's a Céilidh. :)

Brian

chojinchef Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:42 pm

Yes, same island. Maternal grandfather's family hailed from there since shortly after the expulsion.

My son is just turning 7. Long ride for a boy his age, especially now without the CAT. He WILL get there at some point in next two years.

jk_eaton Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:29 pm

We'd be interested - did a great tour of southern NB, northern NS and Cape Breton last summer in our '91, but this summer may not work - if it does, early August it would be. Next summer, 2015, though, July would definitely work. My wife and I are both Bluenosers now in Ottawa, and bought the '91 Weekender in 2012 with just this sort of summer trip in mind.

Jeff's Old Volks Home Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:16 am

Brian has done some homework on the dates when the parks open. We'll find out when reservations will start being taken. Looks like lot's of interest! Even if I just send my fleet, there will be enough vans.
Jeff

vanagonjr Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:51 am

I don't know if I can make it this year- but yes! Go with through with the inaugural event, post pictures and more will come in 2015.
(yeah, I'm already planning of you guys making it a yearly event- :lol: ) "If you build it they will come"

Also, the Portland Maine to Yarmouth, N.S. ferry is supposed to start up in May, so that may provide an option to lessen the miles driven for some of us "southerners".

xoo00oox Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:26 am

Jeff-

This sounds like fun, I'd love to go if I am open. The ferry would be a fun part of the trip too.

Keep us posted!

Andrew-

billgo Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:59 am

Sounds like a good time , count me in .
Alex from Moncton , pm me , I'm in Amherst NS . I know a few local Westie owners and we get together now and then , always room for another bus .