TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Steve Arndt Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:57 am

The tail light wiring boot is SWEET.

RichBenn Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 am

RBEmerson wrote: The thermostat knob for a Dometic fridge, please! Very NLA and not seen at GW or VC.

The big challenge here is getting the inside of the knob shaft right. The thermostat shaft uses a combination of splines and a cutaway to keep the knob and shaft turning at the same time. The original knob uses a spring clip to close a 1/8-1/4"(?) long split. Over time the clip doesn't grip, the split opens, the knob slides out a bit, and the interior of the knob shaft is no longer how it should be.

We have a grey interior, but there's no problem that can't be solved by suitable use of a rattle can. :wink:
With the number of Truckfridge conversions happening, there is no shortage of Dometic fridges and parts cheap. I'm sure you can find something.

RBEmerson Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:25 am

I wish! It's somewhat like the graveyard, rumored to be in Norway, where all Euro pattern headlights, that people here would kill to get them, go to die. No headlights, no knobs. :(

RichBenn Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:22 pm

RBEmerson wrote: I wish! It's somewhat like the graveyard, rumored to be in Norway, where all Euro pattern headlights, that people here would kill to get them, go to die. No headlights, no knobs. :(

Three fridges for sale in the classifieds right now. One free. PM and make an offer for the knob only. Or do a wanted ad.

RBEmerson Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:18 pm

I saw the fridges but assume they're not there to be parted out. I guess I can ask. Good point about the "wanted ad".

garbaldie Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Created a custom Syncro TDI badge for the back of my Doka for when I complete my ALH conversion. I wanted something to match the original Syncro badge and didn't want to mix the original with a MK4 TDI badge. Quite happy with the results, considering I had to trim the chrome vinyl by hand. It looks a bit scratched up in the photo, but that's because I haven't removed the clear protective film from the vinyl yet.

rmcd Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:22 pm

Ha. Been on my mind for a while. Can I pay you to for a second Syncro TDI badege. Very cool.

RBEmerson Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 pm

RBEmerson wrote: I saw the fridges but assume they're not there to be parted out. I guess I can ask. Good point about the "wanted ad". Buslabs had one. Yea!

garbaldie Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 am

rmcd wrote: Ha. Been on my mind for a while. Can I pay you to for a second Syncro TDI badege. Very cool.

I can probably create another one to sell if you wish.

Maybe I should create a new thread for this, to gauge if there is any interest from others. If there's interest in a 1.8T version, I could make one for that as well.

ALstew Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Stoked! Quality is amazing!

Yellow Rabbit Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Glad it worked out. I just got my latest model in the mail today.

sped372 Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:07 am

Does this count?

RoryGirl Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:22 am

Sick...did you get that somewhere, or model it yourself?

sped372 wrote: Does this count?

sped372 Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:39 am

Modeled it in SolidWorks for some surfacing practice. It's not a square as you'd think!

DehlerPEB Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Great!

RufusRockwell Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Love it!

unibagel Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:47 am

sped372 wrote: Modeled it in SolidWorks for some surfacing practice. It's not a square as you'd think!

LOVE!!

ALstew Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Taking a solidworks class on saturdays. I hope I can get good enough to model something like that! ^ amazing work!

sped372 Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:27 am

Thanks! Takes lots (and lots) of practice but it's rewarding once you get the hang of it. Surfacing is a whole new ballgame compared to solid modeling.

Yellow Rabbit Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Because it’s difficult to hula dance on an unlevel surface....