TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Diagnostic Computer- thoughts?
Beeble1 Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:32 pm

I've been searching around the site and have found many, many, MANY topics about computer diagnosis, computer diagnostics, etc. here are a few:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256918
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=430421
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426941

I know that in some of these topics they have talked about making some sort of modern machine or emulator for PC. (Or mac for all you apple people.)

However, none or these topics actually show that someone has made an emulator for the diagnosis tests. Soooo... Has somebody done it? I've been toying with the idea of doing it myself, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I did take the diagnostic report and make it into an excel spreadsheet, so that is a good starting point... I think.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anything?

theKbStockpiler Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:04 pm

I have a few questions. :?

Is this factory vw diagnostic tool supposed to be a dealer version of a 'Sun Machine?

Why would you want to emulate an engine for a obsolete machine? An engine exists and therefore does not need to be emulated.

The only sensor I have ever seen on a carbureted vw is a plug at the flywheel .What would you learn from one sensor?

It looks/seems like a multiplexer with it's highest value meant for marketing appeal of your service shop to me.

dayot538 Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:14 pm

No possible good can come from involving something as mean-spirited and mischievous as a computer in such an innocent and constructive hobby.

gp98 Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:23 pm

dignostic plug in engine compartment on my 72 super is what I believe op
was referring to. More than one test lights, charging system, etc.Mine is still connected, old fashioned yes but so is this 42 yr old car.
Kinda cool early tech. Needed now no, but hey.......

Tim Donahoe Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:51 pm

VW installed that system as a means to convince would-be buyers and owners that they--the VW Dealer--had the a new-fangled "crystal ball" that they could magically plug in and tell you all you needed to know about how your car was doing. And, after the warranty was up, they charged you for it.

It was all an elaborate hoax, really. Most experienced VW techs didn't need such a diagnostic machine--no matter how futuristic it seemed back then.

Look at your Bently. It shows a number of illustrations with "special" tools that weren't really necessary--but they made you want to think that you couldn't do the job yourself because you lacked the magic tools.

Tim

Joel Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:43 pm

Its just basically a continuity tester for a bunch of the main circuits.

The flywheel TDC sensor just let the computer work out the timing as it compared the input from the TDC sensor to the coil low tension which allowed it to computer what the timing was set at.

The factory batterys just had a sensor in them too for one of the center cells for measuring the electrolyte levels.

all pretty primitive stuff and I know its just for novelty value but you can work it out much easier with a test light.

Tim Donahoe wrote:
It was all an elaborate hoax, really. Most experienced VW techs didn't need such a diagnostic machine--no matter how futuristic it seemed back then.

Yes, 60 vital service points... ha, try half that.

bradmkjr Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 pm

I'm now interested in that printout.. Anyone have a copy of one? or is there copies of them in the gallery?

Joel wrote: Its just basically a continuity tester for a bunch of the main circuits.

The flywheel TDC sensor just let the computer work out the timing as it compared the input from the TDC sensor to the coil low tension which allowed it to computer what the timing was set at.

The factory batterys just had a sensor in them too for one of the center cells for measuring the electrolyte levels.

all pretty primitive stuff and I know its just for novelty value but you can work it out much easier with a test light.

Tim Donahoe wrote:

theKbStockpiler Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:52 pm

Quote: The only sensor I have ever seen on a carbureted vw is a plug at the flywheel .What would you learn from one sensor? I do remember the wire on the battery and assumed it was for something that was 6 volt. :oops: I have also seen plug wires that had 2 prongs sticking out of them. I assume that these were the factory correct ignition wires and only the Number 1 cylinder was provided with the diagnostic plug on it.

VWCOOL Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:04 pm

Joel wrote: Its just basically a continuity tester for a bunch of the main circuits.

Tim Donahoe wrote:

AWESOME ad Joel!

Beeble1 Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:43 pm

Like these? This is what the computer print out looked like.

Beeble1 Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:46 pm

I know that the computer itself is obsolete, but the test report is kinda cool. I think it's more of a novelty for me.