TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1978 Westy Full Restoration with Matching Custom Trailer Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
scirocco_crazy Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:21 pm

how about some air conditioning talk? this unit is a 6000 btu model with a super high seer rating. the fit is very snug but I wanted the end result to look factory installed. when the unit is running its really quiet and belts out some serious cold air. I used the exact dimension of the piece of glass I removed so that a factory window seal will work of it ever needs to be removed. What do you think?
[img]
[/img]
[img][/img]

scirocco_crazy Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:23 pm

To Keep water from coming in during a rain I will have a magnet panel that will attach to the scoop portion

scirocco_crazy Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:33 pm

now that the a/c unit is installed I went on to building a device to catch the condensation produced during operation. This will be installed at the base of the mounting plate. The photos will show what I am yacking about.
I will install it tomorrow.
[img]
[/img]

newstarr Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:26 pm

This is so amazing!!!! You are making me want to take a welding class!!!

scirocco_crazy Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:51 pm

newstarr wrote: This is so amazing!!!! You are making me want to take a welding class!!!
Thank you, It has taken me years to learn how to do it. and yes I still mess up from time to time

scirocco_crazy Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:03 pm

suspension update, due to a trailer tow need I felt that Koni's on the rear wouldnt work with a heavy load so I put in air shocks so that they can be leveled depending on the load. I put a schrader valve port under the rear seat that can be hooked up to a small compressor. Up front I did opt for a pair of koni shocks, while I had the front on jack stands I dropped out the front beam and welded in a wagenswest beefcake adjusters to lower her down. After that I finished it off with new ball joints, rotors, brake lines, and calipers thanks to The Bus Depot. The new large diameter sway bars (front and Rear) help out the ride. I also installed the lowering plates in the rear from Nate at Wagenswest. By the way his products are some of the best I have ever used.

scirocco_crazy Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:26 pm

Here is a quick video of the almost finished air conditioning and refrigerator install. enjoy

chabanais Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Clean install!

Hikelite Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:21 am

What a great build.

I hope my wife doesn't stumble upon this, or I'll have to figure out how to add AC to our bus :p

So I take it you don't plan to do a lot of off road type camping since you lowered it, huh?

Love the whole build. The only thing I can't wrap my head around is a lowered Westy. I guess there are plenty of places to camp that don't need high clearance. *shrug* to his own. It does LOOK great! Just confusing to my eyes. lol

Hope you're health is still improving. Thanks for sharing your project. Beautiful work.

scirocco_crazy Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:05 pm

Hikelite wrote: What a great build.

I hope my wife doesn't stumble upon this, or I'll have to figure out how to add AC to our bus :p

So I take it you don't plan to do a lot of off road type camping since you lowered it, huh?

Love the whole build. The only thing I can't wrap my head around is a lowered Westy. I guess there are plenty of places to camp that don't need high clearance. *shrug* to his own. It does LOOK great! Just confusing to my eyes. lol

Hope you're health is still improving. Thanks for sharing your project. Beautiful work.

One of the best things about the Wagenswest kits are the fact give an afternoon you can return it to stock height. Best of both worlds

scirocco_crazy Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:07 pm

Tonight I installed what I hope will be a great addition to the bus. Its the Empi Heavy duty rear sway bar. Pretty straight forward install.
[img]
[/img]

scirocco_crazy Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:06 am

I put together a video illustrating the build from day 1 to the finish. I had music to go with it but due to youtube copyright concerns they muted it. No worries. Enjoy

BusPriest Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:30 am

Can the A/c run off the house battery?

Tcash Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:34 am

Nice video. I added to:
Youtube Videos
Thank you
Tcash

brettsvw Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:48 am

scirocco_crazy wrote: Fella's, here it is. I must say I love it!
[img]
[img]
[/img]
[/img]

Trailer is fantastic. Love the fact you can see the torsion housing covers.

MorkC68 Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:18 pm

excellent build thread, that's one stunning westy you have :D