TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1969 Bug Build Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
zodlaw Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:45 pm

I have been out of the dub scene for 20 + years. I had a 60 rag last year had to sell it, don't ask. A friend found this bug while riding his road bike and told me about it. I started to find out about it and ask the owner what he wanted to do with it Back in Aug of 2013. I live in WA. and for those who live here trying to get a tittle it is a pain. It did not have a tittle but he had all the paper work to get it taken care of. Fathers car, father died he wants to get rid of it and he calls me. Finally got the tittle today and picking it up on the 21 of April! Its got some other stuff that goes with it manuals and engine stand and some wheels which I have not seen yet. Super excited.. and purist prob don't want to see whats going to happen to this car. :) No not going to chop it up. Total cost so far $37.50 tittle transfer. I got lucky and it was free! I also have a spread sheet set up so I can track every cent on google docs.
So here are the photos... comments welcome..

Looks like it was tapped in the back too.

Engine bay, it turns over by hand and the guy said it ran, will see.

The interior needs some serious help... I am going to try and save the seats. :(

Here is the bad part.. Looks like new front clip but maybe I should just roll it :P

dubjeep Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:24 pm

The damage looks worse than on my beetle, but it looks like it will require the same amount of parts and work to fix. I bought a clip form California and the guy shipped it via Greyhound bus. The front apron is all beat up, but for the price I can't complain. I look forward to more pictures when you get it.

zodlaw Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:18 pm

I am only worried about the beam and hope its not bent at all.

dubjeep Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:47 am

The beam is bolt on so if you have to get a new one its not a huge deal. What are your plans? Get it running first? I regret not getting mine running before I tore it down. I've had it for over 2 years and have still never driven a beetle.

GArBa Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:39 am

form the wheels it looks straight but it looks like it has been hit quite hard above the bumper, so check if the frame head is still square.

zodlaw Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:52 am

danno627 wrote: What are your plans? Get it running first?

I have learned over many project cars not all VWs that having a running moveable car is key to getting things done a lot faster. Its more of a motivator than anything. I have a few things Planed, 20 so yrs ago I ran a 70 bug 2" or so inches off the ground static. I am going to try and air ride this one. I don't really have anything to loose and a lot has changed from the old school stuff. I love the stock look on bugs but way low. :) Will have to see how this turns out. I have a limited time planed to work on the bug. My 8yr old is going to help me on this. I have a tendency to work on things for hrs and not stop so have to limit myself. :)
Short list.. prob change once I get it. But have all on spread sheets
List: 1. Get it running, fuel lines tank etc.
2. Brakes enough to find out if the trans pops out of gear or not.
3. Make sure its just all around movable.
4. Check body pan ect.

GArBa wrote: form the wheels it looks straight but it looks like it has been hit quite hard above the bumper, so check if the frame head is still square.

Yeah I have my fingers crossed if have to do a pan head I will shorten it a little I think. Not sure but will have to read up on that side. I will have to do a lot of reading on how to figure out if its not square or not. That would put a huge lag on the build. Do you know of any good threads?

GArBa Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:38 pm

there was an old thread where a guy had a VW chassis jig, but it seems I can't find it anymore...

edit: just found it. unfortunately no measures in the thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=315232

zodlaw Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Yeah that would be nice to have.. I am sure someone has some measurements..

zodlaw Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:17 am

I had to drag it onto the trailer, three wheels frozen. I have never had to deal with this but whacked the wheels pretty good and nothing. As far as the front beam looks strait along with the pan head. Prob about two gallons of gas still in it. I will post some pics later. Any suggestions on getting the wheels to spin. I am sure the brakes are hosed anyways. I did see someone suggest PB Blaster in the drums, I love that stuff. Proceeding with care :)

zodlaw Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:11 pm

Yeah it looks worse now thats its on the trailer..

Getting it off the trailer was fun 2 jacks and electric puller and hr later it sits.

The drivers side pan.. and heater channels look solid so far.

front beam looks strait =D> along with the pan head. :D

Pass side looks the same.

The typ battery tray hole. :(

This part is mighty thin..

Here is the best part, no water in the oil. The guy said it had sat for 2 yrs in the shop then 6yrs outside.. The oil does not smell bad but the gas does LOL

I have been putting the PB Blaster on the lugs I got the front loose. The back is not budging. The last thing I want to do is shear on of these lugs off. I keep adding little pb every day. I have been doing the axle nuts too. I am crossing my fingers. :) Open for suggestions :)

Bashr52 Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:51 am

zodlaw wrote: I have been putting the PB Blaster on the lugs I got the front loose. The back is not budging. The last thing I want to do is shear on of these lugs off. I keep adding little pb every day. I have been doing the axle nuts too. I am crossing my fingers. :) Open for suggestions :)

Heat and a BFH!! :lol:

zodlaw Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:04 am

Heat the lug up or the drum? I am thinking the drum but that is the last resort. :)

mountainkowboy Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:30 am

I wouldn't worry about breaking bolts off in the drums, there probably no good anyhow. Do a tune up on the engine and use a test fuel tank to get her to start and see what kind of shape the engines in. My Ghia had sat for 10+ years when I got it and I had it running in an afternoon. Other than it needing to be resealed there is nothing wrong with it. These are tough little cars and drivetrains, I bet you can get it running and driving in a few weeks if you put your mind to it.

zodlaw Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:06 am

I am sure I could, have a very tight budget though. :)

zodlaw Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Pb blaster pulls through! Used half of my jack stand handle an 1/2 drive. I thought I broke the wrench but the lugs are loose. Still soaking the splines though. :) Just need to get it rollable then move on to the motor.

zodlaw Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Well it does not seem to be coming off so next stage is the large puller. I tried to get it to spin after trying to back off the shoes. I will pull the nut and see what happens with the big puller. I whacked it with a 3lb hammer and 2x4 and still did not move. So we will see who wins :)

zodlaw Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:00 am

The puller I got from work had a flat nose on it. I tried it out and it would not turn out so good if I did.

So I dug through my giant bucket O bolts and made this nose for it.

This puller is giant! Worked really good and it came off with little effort. :P

The final reward... Also broke off the one of the tabs on the brakes.

Here is the bad brake pad that was stuck.

I could not adjust one of them it was frozen pretty good. The bearings seem good and the grease was good too. I will repack them later after I get the motor running. It looks like all new stuff and prob powder coat the backing plate just for fun. :)

Grifter Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:35 am

Wish I had seen this sooner, I had the same problem with a stuck shoe on mine. Only I couldn't get a puller to work.
Pretty simple way is to go behind the backing plate and cut the head off the retaining pin. They actually cut off fairly easily, I used a Dremel. Then it's pretty easy to pull the drum off.

zodlaw Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:05 am

I pretty much knew I would have to replace everything anyways. I. Am sure the rear is the in the same condition. I only have limited amount of time to work on it so progress is very slow.

dubjeep Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:16 pm

That's a heck of a puller.