TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The Stupid Question Thread Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Cusser Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:44 am

zgomo wrote: Dumb question for y'all. How important are the transmission mounts? Mine are clearly dry rotted, but I really (emphasis on really) do not want to pull the trans.
For the two rear mounts, the transmission does NOT need to be pulled to replace those, just remove the engine and raise the transmission a couple of inches. On my VWs, the big nuts use a 27mm socket.

For the front mount - and mine was still in decent shape after 46 years - some state that the transmission can just be pulled rearward to replace it. From your photo below - and congrats on wearing safety glasses - you have IRS so you'd need the 8M triple square wrench if you do remove the entire transmission.

zgomo Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:44 pm

Cusser wrote: zgomo wrote: Dumb question for y'all. How important are the transmission mounts? Mine are clearly dry rotted, but I really (emphasis on really) do not want to pull the trans.
For the two rear mounts, the transmission does NOT need to be pulled to replace those, just remove the engine and raise the transmission a couple of inches. On my VWs, the big nuts use a 27mm socket.

For the front mount - and mine was still in decent shape after 46 years - some state that the transmission can just be pulled rearward to replace it. From your photo below - and congrats on wearing safety glasses - you have IRS so you'd need the 8M triple square wrench if you do remove the entire transmission.

Thanks guys. I'll see about replacing the rears, the front one is in somewhat better condition.

Gor77 Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:47 am

hi all.
I have a stupid question about the alternator
Does my alternator require a voltage regulator.
alternator without nameplates and inscriptions
engine 1969

slayer61 Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:14 am

No Sir. You have an internal regulator. Excite the stator with the male tab sticking up and charge the battery with the stud connection.

yungnewb Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:43 pm

i have a 94 mexi-beetle with a SA transmission that is leaking at the side plate. can i loosen the side plate while in the car and seal it with permatex or a similar sealant/gasket maker? if so what sealant/gasket maker? if not what should i do?

vamram Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:27 am

Has anyone ever installed an *electric* air conditioner in a Super Beetle? Rather than one like the Gilmore system? I'm thinking of the systems that use an electric compressor and only require a 90 amp alternator, so no need to modify the shroud and add brackets for a mechanical/belt-driven compressor in the engine compartment.

Kind of like this: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Electric-Conditioner-Compressor-Motorhome/dp/B09GP9RNYZ

or
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-System-Electric-A...&psc=1

Purple Martin Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:00 pm

Stupid question: what is this? Some kind of sensor just below & in front of the dizzy. There is no wire attached, should there be?

Big Bull Shooter Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:42 pm

Purple Martin wrote: Stupid question: what is this? Some kind of sensor just below & in front of the dizzy. There is no wire attached, should there be?

That's your oil pressure sender, and yes there should be a wire attached. It will go to the oil pressure warning light on the speedo.

Purple Martin Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:04 pm

Thanks! I'll fix that.

Purple Martin Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:06 pm

Next stupid question: what is this broken black rubber round thing, located on the top-right-front of the case?

glutamodo Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:29 pm

Remnants of the Top Dead Center sensor that was part of the diagnostic system used in the early-mid 70s.

Purple Martin Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:27 pm

glutamodo wrote: Remnants of the Top Dead Center sensor that was part of the diagnostic system used in the early-mid 70s.
Thanks, with your help I found more info about it here: https://ratwell.com/technical/TDCMarker.html

vamram Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:44 pm

I'm installing a Thunderbird header on my '74 Super. Is there any value to using header wrap or header armor on a header?

Or it this just inviting rust...? This will be on a heavily driven, all-weather driving Super.

67rustavenger Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:50 pm

vamram wrote: I'm installing a Thunderbird header on my '74 Super. Is there any value to using header wrap or header armor on a header?

Or it this just inviting rust...? This will be on a heavily driven, all-weather driving Super.
Ceramic coat it. And you can wrap it.

Painted, leave it bare.

Better yet. Sand it down and paint it with VHT High heat header paint. Make sure to follow the curing instructions. It makes a difference.

The burning question is. Where'd ya find that relic?

vamram Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:07 pm

Heh heh, I found it here in the classifieds! I think the seller still has an ad up. I already cleaned it up and painted it w/VHD so am just going to stick w/that.

vamram Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:19 am

Another dumb question about the header - I missed that the hole for the top exhaust stud is too deep for normal head studs. I'm not having a lot of luck finding a stud that's long enough, figure I need at least 65mm in length for it to make it through the header so I can catch the nut.

Or can I remove the stud and replace it w/a bolt like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Screw-Threaded-Socket-Finis...3&th=1

67rustavenger Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:37 am

Victor,
You keep serving up softballs to hit out of the park. :D

Get the same bolt at Ace Hardware, and cut off the hex head.
Install your new stud in the head and call it a day.

Using a bolt for the header is risking stripping the threads out of the head in the future.

vamram Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:46 am

Lol, I'll keep throwing softballs if you keep hittin' 'em!

67rustavenger Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:47 am

vamram wrote: Lol, I'll keep throwing softballs if you keep hittin' 'em! :D

BCE56 Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:36 pm

I am trying to diagnose/rectify abrupt clutch engagement near top of pedal travel.

To date have replaced nosecone, trans mounts, clutch and T/O bearing.
Also have installed a *refurbished* German pedal assy. The old assy was a rewelded mess.
Added a spacer to Bowden tube. Readjusted pedal freeplay to 1/2".
Transaxle: AH, appears unmolested and sound.

What are the differences between these clutch pedal shafts?

113 721 305A ('46-'63)
113 721 305B ('64-'72)
111 721 305B ('73-'79)

Are they interchangeable?
If (inadvertently) mismatched, how would clutch engagement be affected?