TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Trickle charger install?
Beeble1 Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:08 pm

A after trying to start my bug for the first time this year, the battery was dead. This isn't the first time this happened, it happened to me last year also.

So, I've seen those trickle chargers for cigarette lighters, but since the PO removed mine, can I wire a little connector to the fuse box to do the job? Or could I route the trickle charger through the diagnostic plug?

jderianSF Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Most of the modern trickle chargers, (now called smart chargers, because they moniter the battery charge, and only charge when needed) come with connectors that can be attached directly onto the battery. You could leave the connector dangling out from under the back seat, and just connect it as necessary.

Beeble1 wrote: A after trying to start my bug for the first time this year, the battery was dead. This isn't the first time this happened, it happened to me last year also.

So, I've seen those trickle chargers for cigarette lighters, but since the PO removed mine, can I wire a little connector to the fuse box to do the job? Or could I route the trickle charger through the diagnostic plug?

vernonc Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:54 am

I would find out what is draining the battery while it sits and correct that. There's no reason to have to add a 'trickle charger' to any automobile if things are right. Just my thoughts.

mort

pwmcguire Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:15 am

Try this, remove the negative battery terminal and connect a test light between the battery terminal and the cable. If it lights, you have power flowing with the key off (= dead Battery) pull one fuse and see if it goes out, replace it and pull the next one. This will narrow it down to what circuit is drawing the power. You can do a closer inspection of that circuit.

andk5591 Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 am

If the car was parked all winter without charging at all, its not real surprising - particulalry if you have a modern stereo head unit. And if its the same battery from last year, its already been damaged by the complete discharge - doing it twice makes it even worse. Do a little research on sulphating pltes on lead acid batteries.

I agree to test for parasitic loss, but your battery has been compromised some already.

Captain Jacques Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:08 am

andk5591 wrote: If the car was parked all winter without charging at all, its not real surprising - particulalry if you have a modern stereo head unit. And if its the same battery from last year, its already been damaged by the complete discharge - doing it twice makes it even worse. Do a little research on sulphating pltes on lead acid batteries.

I agree to test for parasitic loss, but your battery has been compromised some already.

I agree. I keep all the cars I don't regularly use on trickle chargers. You can also run the leads from the battery through a grommet in the firewall and have the connector in the engine bay for easy access.

Globespotter Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:07 am

I bought a Battery Tender this year - it has a plug that you wire directly to the battery - small plug hangs out under the rear seat, and can be easily plugged in and out.

Worked like a charm!

andk5591 Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:12 pm

I am too cheap to have a dedicated charger on each car (6 of them), I have a trickle charger and a regular charger that will do trickle charge. I just rotate them through the cars over the course of a week - about once every 6 weeks over winter. Used to replace the battery in our buggy every other year before I started doing this.