TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Is there such a thing as a AT GHIA?
Spookyrockstar Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:52 pm

I sat in one today, and I'm almost in love. I thought I would be too big for it, (6' 3") but not really. Want to know if a AT version is 'available'.

I love MT, but my girl hates it.

-Ed

Glenn Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:58 pm

They sure did make the Ghia with a Autostick.

But any Type 1 with a AT is a gutless wonder.

A few days ago i drove a 73 Standard Beetle that had only 12,920 miles and a AT. It could barely get out of its own way.

And with a Autostick... you still have to shift. It's not a ture fully automatic like you see in all modern cars.

VW Addict Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:30 pm

Yes there were many made, but not worth in money what they are worth with a std tranny.

Gary Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:36 pm

I love telling this story whenever someone bad mouths the automatic transmission. We had someone in my local club whose wife was an amputee and could not drive a VW until they bought her an A/T Beetle.
My dad and I drove an A/T 1971 Ghia for many years. Yes, the take-off is a bit sluggish, but overall they cruise just fine. First gear is only used for serious inclines.

Naftelbr Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:07 pm

I have a 71 ghia with an autostick which has been a daily driver for the last 8 years and 73,000 miles with no problems.

Even though I have all my legs, I would get rid of my other two ghias w/std trans before this one.

Spookyrockstar Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:12 pm

What does an autostick do? Or how does one drive one of those?

-Ed

VW Addict Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:17 pm

Auto stick has 4 gears. 1, 2, Low and reverse. Basically you shift from Low to 1, to 2 but low is aminly for towing of low low speeds. 1st is made from 0-45 and 2nd from all speeds higher then 30ish. You can put it right in 2 and go, but it hurts the lifespan of the tranny. It is a stick, just like the std, but it has no brake, you just shift on the run. Its fun - but not popualar. When they have a problem....they have a problem!

VW Addict Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:18 pm

I am having my 1970 converted right now... I much more prefer a std. Easier to work on and maintain. Also brings up the core value.

coad Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:11 am

Spookyrockstar wrote: I sat in one today, and I'm almost in love. I thought I would be too big for it, (6' 3") but not really. Want to know if a AT version is 'available'.

-Ed

If you want one with an Automatic then get it. They sell for less so that's a plus, and, while there is a performance penalty with the automatic, its not like you buy a Ghia for the neck snapping speed anyway.

Although if it is because of the girlfriend, her not being able to drive it may be a solid reason to get the standard transmission . . .

Spookyrockstar Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:48 am

66kg70sc: The car *is* for her mostly. I did say I'm in love with the GHIA, but I'm even more in love with her and my 69 Squareback!

Anyways, would you say no to THIS?!?!? :shock:

(just got a digital camera, and when I got home from work I found THIS on my desktop. [/url]

Glenn Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:55 am

Sh!t... you have a bigger problem than the Autostick.

Spookyrockstar Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:48 pm

LOL! I totally freaked out when I saw that last pic on my desktop. Here's one of her when she isn't messing around, but this is becoming more of a rant/rave than a post about AT.

As usual, thanks for everyone's advice, I think she's sold on getting a Ghia!

Off to read the AUTO TRADERS to find her a neat one!

-Ed

Grvlguy Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:16 pm

Darn, now the pic is gone! And I never saw it! Post the URL and we can go to it!

coad Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:40 am

yeah, let's get that photo back pronto. She's pretty cute and 100% ghia-worthy.

One thing about the Auto. I have read convincing arguments that with an AT you really can't do much more horsepower than stock, since the AT has a pretty small clutch, and big motors tend to burn them up really quickly.

Do a search If this is a concern. There is a very old thread that lays out the problems with bigger motors and auto stick VW's.

Spookyrockstar Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:50 pm

LOL !

Definitely becoming a rant, but here's the URL for the pic!

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/3ff6141a_e765/bc/My+Documents/DearLord---1.jpg?BCFRx._AVg4bu04b

This is for the PSYCHO pic, right? That's the one you wanted? :twisted:

-Ed

my69vdubya Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:31 pm

[quote="Spookyrockstar"]LOL !

Definitely becoming a rant, but here's the URL for the pic!

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/3ff6141a_e765/bc/My+Documents/DearLord---1.jpg?BCFRx._AVg4bu04b

This is for the PSYCHO pic, right? That's the one you wanted? :twisted:

-Ed[/quote]

that URL didn't come up, i wanna see what everyone is talking about.

Grvlguy Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:59 am

*#%## STill can't get the URL link to work!!!

coad Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:47 pm

She's seemed to be worth the wait. Just take your time and get it right.

Bruce Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:48 pm

Spookyrockstar wrote:

You need to change your GF's attitude. Why does she dislike a manual?
I have a friend who spent many hours arguing with his GF on this exact issue. I even had a go at her to convince her to see the light, to no avail. You see, up until this time she had never tried to drive a manual, and couldn't imagine the purpose of adding more controls, more things to do while driving.
Then when they were doing a cross country drive in his car (stick), he made her drive when they were in the middle of nowhere on dead straight roads. By the time they arrived, she was a convert. Now she refuses to consider owning an automaitc.