TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Detroit to Alaska Adventure! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Manfred58sc Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:42 am

Labatts!!! Good confessional "water" for those Yoopers. Fear not, good micro brews as you go west.

kirbyland Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:05 am

I'm an hour north of Mpls- if you find you need to tinker/fix with something-

muddbug Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:34 am

umm did we / you start yet?
good luck!

BarryL Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:27 am

Wheelie Pete wrote: I asked him if there were any special brownies... (I don't want to get stopped at the border!)

Be clean especially at that crossing. On the US side, just after you round that long right bend, after that last indian reservation bam; there is the border check. Toss anything before that.

Wheelie Pete Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:40 am

Didn't start yet, and I have nothing to toss - it's not my thing, but I don't criticize those who do!

I just adjusted the valves, and hooked up the battery isolator. It appears the inverter issue is directly proportional to battery voltage. I put the charger on over night, and the battery doesn't have over 12 volts,.... hmmm........ and the isolator doesnt appear to be charging the battery....... It's an Optimus Deep cell Yellow top. Idk if it takes longer for battery to charge or what. I think I'll just keep the charger on the battery until I leave then trouble shoot as I go!

The carbs weren't sync at Munks - just linkage and timing was adjusted. The synchronizer wouldnt fit on top of the carbs (no velocity stacks) - also Munk wasn't sure it was jetted properly....- so I'll have to get that looked at on the road.

Also it appears my RGB are leaking. One day in the same spot. Maybe a fifty cent piece size of gear lube under each swing arm. I used permatex copper silicone gasket maker. The stuff is not cured to the touch after a week and half! What is going on there???

Eric&Barb Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Wheelie Pete wrote:
Also it appears my RGB are leaking. One day in the same spot. Maybe a fifty cent piece size of gear lube under each swing arm. I used permatex copper silicone gasket maker. The stuff is not cured to the touch after a week and half! What is going on there???

Where are they leaking?

patban82 Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:50 pm

Hey good luck on your trip. Mine ended just 2hrs from when it started. Lol

SurfCityRacing Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Wheelie Pete, Awesome adventure! We're leaving for Alaska from CA in late July with two split bus teams.

Maybe we can connect? We'll be heading all the way to Inuvik, NWT, CA, and have a full itinerary. Here's our Alaska Bus Trip FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/AlaskaBusTrip

cdennisg Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:47 pm

I have wanted to make the trip to Inuvik for twenty years. I read an article in Rider magazine back then about two guys that did it on Honda Gold Wings. It is definitely on my list.

SurfCityRacing Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:53 pm

cdennisg wrote: I have wanted to make the trip to Inuvik for twenty years. I read an article in Rider magazine back then about two guys that did it on Honda Gold Wings. It is definitely on my list.

Go with us!

I don't want to hijack this guy's thread. Maybe I'll start my own. Not sure if there's any interest.

earlywesty Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:00 pm

SurfCityRacing wrote: cdennisg wrote: I have wanted to make the trip to Inuvik for twenty years. I read an article in Rider magazine back then about two guys that did it on Honda Gold Wings. It is definitely on my list.

Go with us!

I don't want to hijack this guy's thread. Maybe I'll start my own. Not sure if there's any interest.

Please do start a thread

wcfvw69 Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:15 pm

buseric wrote: SurfCityRacing wrote: cdennisg wrote: I have wanted to make the trip to Inuvik for twenty years. I read an article in Rider magazine back then about two guys that did it on Honda Gold Wings. It is definitely on my list.

Go with us!

Please do start a thread

Yes, start a thread of your own as well! Looking forward to hearing details, lots of pics of both trips!

cdennisg Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:20 pm

SurfCityRacing wrote: cdennisg wrote: I have wanted to make the trip to Inuvik for twenty years. I read an article in Rider magazine back then about two guys that did it on Honda Gold Wings. It is definitely on my list.

Go with us!

I would love to, but it is not in the cards for me yet. It will happen, just not right now.

As others have stated, please do start a thread. Many of us have nothing to do with Facebook.

Wheelie Pete Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Another busy day without leaving.......however I did manage to get most of the bus packed, and was able to drive it another 100-150 miles without incident. Total on the bus since the total rebuild is about 300....enough where I beginning to feel confident!

Here's my spare parts box - I brought a spare coil, distributor, fuel pump and as many different nuts and bolts as I could.

Hopefully I'll never need to open this!!

Next, as I was driving out of the city, I saw a home tour in a neighboring community. It seems every year different people open up their house for interested people to walk through. I guess they do it once a year and it costs 20 dollars per person. They have 5 or 6 houses on tour each year, and the proceeds go towards the upkeep of the neighborhood. There were some really fancy houses!

As I continued my drive, I passed through the fabled and often speculated and often pontificated Packard Plant. I didnt get a good pic but I didnt really want to stop the bus either. If you need better pics, just download them from google. I think every hipster this side of the mississippi has walked through the old plant taking pictures of it's bones. It's sorta a hipster mecca. They love it in there!

If you want to travel there to take your own pictures you better hurry. A business man from peru recently bought it and plans on turning into something that generates money. Hurry now!

The top part used to house a green house of sorts but a recent fire destroyed it and it falling down now. It seems the packard plant is on fire nearly every day.

If you want to read more about it, check out the wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packard_Automotive_Plant

Its a symbol of Detroit in it's own right!!

As I continued my drive through the city, I felt the hesitation these vw's give when they run out of gas! Luckily it happened just as I was closing into a gas station. I'm not sure if there is an award for the most gas pumped into a bus that wasnt completely empty, but if there was, I'm pretty sure I would win, unless the guy with the gas station fixed his pumps to read more... lets hope that's not the case!

After a few more miles, I finally made it to the show. It was a great time, mainly water cooooooled cars. Nice format. Nice show

Next on the way home I stopped at Karl's house. He recently had a kid so he thinks way more in advance than most of my friends. With that being said he lent me weather radio that works on solar, crank power, and batteries. Lets hope I never need that! He also lent me a knife. Thanks Karl!!!

Finally I stopped by Munks again where he helped me fix a leak in my generator stand. This guy came to shop at 1030pm to help me out. Once again, what a great guy - Thanks chris!

Finally I made it to my brothers where he gave me some homemade Jam and Venison jerky. Num num num!

I did some mileage calculation. With the rack, snow tires in the rear, and a light pedal, I only got 15.5 or so. I was really hoping for 20. I'll try to improve it as the trip progresses.

I'm leaving tomorrow. I know I said it before, but this time I mean it. I have to make the arctic circle for the solstice! The bus runs great, I still have no aux power for my mini fridge and toaster, but the bus runs great!

AlteWagen Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:50 pm

Engine specs?

BulliBill Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:40 pm

Wow! Good luck on your trip, you're leaving tomorrow! I'm actually in DTW this evening, I'm on an airline crew layover near the airport. Have a great journey. Take it easy and drive slow to preserve your fairly untested motor/drivetrain. Your gas mileage will improve too. Remember that you are driving a 50ish year old vehicle, take it slow and steady. Have lots of fun, and post photos and stories here often!

Bill

truckersmike Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Good luck Pete! You are in for one hell of an adventure. I did this trip in 2008 from Phoenix (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=297311&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0.

Along with some of the other advise, I have my own.

Do NOT tell the border patrol that you are not working. I too quit my job to do the trip but when I told the BP, they sent me back. To get back in, I had to prove that I still had a house and that I had the financial means to make the trip. Don't lie, just don't bring it up unless you have to.

Gas is VERY expensive in northern Canada (like $7 a gallon in 2008) so be prepared to spend a lot of money on fuel. I would recommend two fuel cans if you have the space. I think I spent $2500 on gas alone.

The roads are rough at times so make sure anything that will bounce or make a lot of noise is low and secure. After a week or two, you will become a professional camper and have your shit down.

Give the semis space or they will run you off the road. They don't give a shit.

Be prepared to get searched a lot by the BP (going in and out). They love to pick on VW buses.

If you pick up a hitchhiker, don't cross the border with them in the vehicle. The BP don't like it and you can busted for anything wrong that they did (fortunately that didn't happen to me).

Check your engine daily for loose parts or any problems.

Take your time. No need to rush anywhere because some towns are 700 miles away from each other.

Canadian campgrounds on the side of the road are really nice and supply wood.

It's frequently cold and wet so be prepared. No sweat pants and cotton hoodies.

Take lots of photos, keep a journal and have a blast.

icekoffee Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:42 am

Great to see my old bus is in good hands. That is one bus I wish I could have finished and kept. Best of luck on your trip. I am like everyone one else and super jealous.

abuspilot Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:35 am

Manfred58sc wrote: Labatts!!! Good confessional "water" for those Yoopers. Fear not, good micro brews as you go west.

I love the Detroit Tiger partnership too. I'm gonna have to pic some up for sure!!

Thanks for sharing, good luck and safe travels!!

Manfred58sc Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:58 am

Having been rejected by BP a few time I would recommend crossing at Glacier Park, the park is about 20% in Canada and there are many people that just request a "day trip" to see the rest of the park. They tore my Bus apart but let me in. Its worth the trip in its own right.I've had my after shave and 1/2 pack of Pall Malls confiscated by BP...I don't get their paranoia . If you are really shut down at the border there is an outlaw lake barge in Libby Montana that will get you across for $50, just ask in town at the garage.