TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ghia coming home Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
halbug Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:01 am

Thank you!

Ian Godfrey Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:43 pm

for a really good chrome finish I would suggest sanding the 'pits' out of the bronze as flux often is at the bottom of the pits and the first copper coat of the plating process won't cover the pits.
Sometimes the polishing people at the plating shop are not as thorough as I would like in the preparation :roll:

halbug Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:24 am

Thanks Ian, I will check for pits and will sand them out, or have the plater do it. I will for sure talk to him about it.

But now back to the pan. This is what I discovered last night: Totally misaligned #-o

Frustrating when someone does such a shitty job. Luckily I found this in my storage, but still more unexpected work.

I wonder why the first owner had to install a hand brake bracket in the first place. Doesn't the Thing have one like the bug???

KGCoupe Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:48 am

halbug wrote: ...

I wonder why the first owner had to install a hand brake bracket in the first place. Doesn't the Thing have one like the bug???
I just did a Samba Gallery search for "hand brake" in the Thing/Type181 category, and there are half a dozen photos there - maybe one of them will help you.

halbug Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:40 pm

KGCoupe wrote: halbug wrote: ...

I just did a Samba Gallery search for "hand brake" in the Thing/Type181 category, and there are half a dozen photos there - maybe one of them will help you.

I checked them, but unfortunately they do not give me an answer. But Thanks for letting me know!

It seems as the replacement pan I am using had an awkward heater cable set up. The cable tube that sticks out of the tunnel in the front is (was) the original heater cable tube :shock:

The previous owner cut it at the hand brake position and modified all heater stuff in the tunnel to be like in a bug. Therefore he needed a handbrake bracket with provisions for the heater levers I suppose...

But question remains, how the heater boxes where operated in this Mexican Thing the pan was a replacement for :roll:

Cheers halbug

halbug Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:31 am

Handbrake done:

Still not sure what ratchet plate to use or how to change the ones I have to make the handle sit like on the photo. I will start looking for ratchet plates on swap meets for the first time in my live :lol:

djkeev Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Not sure about the Mexican Thing but apparently not all VW’s were given heaters..
I understand From my reading that the Brazilian Ghia did not have a heater.?

But, I’ve read things that turn out not to be true ........

Dave

halbug Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:25 pm

Hi Dave, very nice selection of Vdubs you have there!

My Ghia is from Germany, exported to Michigan and than brought back to Germany. BUT the pan I am using is a (altmost :wink: ) NOS replacement Thing pan built in Mexico... :lol:

The heater cable tube ran from the back of the pan to this one point on top of the tunnel shown on above picture. Similar to old bugs, but does not end in a turning knob for adjustment...

I had not seen this before. I know that VW Mexico has been building some unique stuff. I just assume the heater cable exits the pan at this point and somehow ends in an extra mechanism, maybe attached to the body?

Either way I welded it up, as I am now using the mechanism on the hand brake bracket now 8)

Thanks
halbug

halbug Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:01 am

Making SEAT pods 8)

halbug Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Making progress - slowly :roll:

Seat attachments are done. The outer rear pod is lower. The alumuminum spacer will be machined to fit under the track. This will give me an even plane, once the pan is mounted to the body.

Complete assembly

Small stuff, but it all takes time :)

In parallel I am working on a custom fuel catch tank, because the space under the tank is very limited with the Mendeola, transmission oil cooling plus ton's of other things...

TDCTDI Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:28 pm

Please fit the seats first, I found that you don't want an "even plane". When I mounted the seats (Miata) in my car, I found that the front of the seat needed to be at least 1.5" higher than the rear or I was only sitting on my tail bone which became uncomfortable quickly.

halbug Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:59 pm

Yup! That is the idea. First pan to body to make sure nothing moves anymore. Than seats to tracks, tracks to pan. The alu-spacer allows last adjustment...
So the idea :lol: :lol:

TRS63 Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:52 am

As usual, every thing well thought and carefully made, can't wait to see the next update!

Antoine

halbug Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:13 pm

I got so many things going on :lol:

First of all a happy New Year to all of you reading!

During the holydays I spent some more time on the aluminum cylinders...

I opened my Berg-5 transmission to modify some parts for improved oiling, as recommended by the Berg's.

TRS63 Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:53 pm

Happy to see some progress here :D

Happy new year too!

Antoine

halbug Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:16 pm

Thank you!

I started a separate thread for the details of my transmission oiling and cooling...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9251628#9251628

Just in case you are interested :wink:

Clatter Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:53 am

Wow.

Epic build.

Love the details. Thanks for taking the time to document it here.

Onceler Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:57 pm

Cool! I’m envisioning a modern version of Rodbuster with this build

halbug Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you will have to lower your expectations - a lot!

Mine will be fast, practical driver 8)

Cheers
halbug

halbug Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:19 am

Trail assembled the rear end. It's very busy back there, between the trailing arms...

I was searching spots to install all the parts for the transmission oiling/cooling as well for exhaust, rear brake calipers, heater tubes, the gas lines and the Käfer-Cup-Bar. I will have to address a lot of it again, when the body is fitted. Things are just too tight to guess. Either way, some brackets are already in the making.

The chassis went out to be professionally welded today 8)

as always... very slow progress :roll: