TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ghia coming home Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
halbug Sun May 19, 2019 11:57 am

halbug wrote: KGCoupe wrote: ...

I suppose if the seat tracks will allow the seat to travel far enough forward, then the seat back would not really need to fold.

Right on target! I have new seat tracks from the second row seats of a mini van. They have plenty of travel built-in for access to the third row - well, or second in my Ghia :D

Cheers
halbug

Quick Update

Modern seat tracks work nicely, but they make things a little tricky:
- Seats are partly below the top surface of the new tracks
- Release mechanism needs to be actuated synchon on both tracks
- They are somewhat sensible to an absolute flat monting surface (and I am sure the conditions will be different with and without pan mounted to body :roll:

I decided to do the planning on CAD, otherwise to much trail and error :lol: First Draft below:

Cheers
halbug

TDCTDI Sun May 19, 2019 12:08 pm

halbug wrote:

I decided to do the planning on CAD, otherwise to much trail and error :lol:
Pssshhh :roll: You can’t get it done drawing it out on the computer. :D

Lop the original tracks off (since they’re not for a Ghia anyway), bolt some steel to the bottom of the seat, toss it in the car, make some pieces to fill the void, & stitch it all together.

halbug Sun May 19, 2019 12:30 pm

TDCTDI wrote: halbug wrote:

I decided to do the planning on CAD, otherwise to much trail and error :lol:
Pssshhh :roll: You can’t get it done drawing it out on the computer. :D

We'll see :wink:

jeffrey8164 Sun May 19, 2019 8:43 pm

There’s a free cad out there somewhere?

halbug Mon May 20, 2019 1:55 am

Yup! works well for me :D

halbug Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:14 am

LEGO for big boy's :lol: :lol: :lol:

The mechanism for the release took most of the design time. Now everything looks like it is meant to be - looks so simple - now that it is done :roll:

Got sidetracked waiting on the laserman 8) Once the manifolds are matchported I will get to the seats again.

Cheers
halbug

KGCoupe Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:58 am

If you sell a few sets of your new-and-improved custom seat tracks, you could possibly cover the costs of buying your own seats.

Perhaps you could try selling them to the distributor that you bought your seats from as there must be others using the same seat that also have a need for extended seat travel.

Heck, for that matter I'd be willing to bet there is a market for just about any one of the carefully thought out and extremely well crafted custom touches that you've created for your vintage VWs.

Just a thought.

halbug Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:06 am

KGCoupe wrote: If you sell a few sets of your new-and-improved custom seat tracks, you could possibly cover the costs of buying your own seats.

Perhaps you could try selling them to the distributor that you bought your seats from as there must be others using the same seat that also have a need for extended seat travel.

Heck, for that matter I'd be willing to bet there is a market for just about any one of the carefully thought out and extremely well crafted custom touches that you've created for your vintage VWs.

Just a thought.

Let's see if it works out first :lol: :lol: :lol:

Either way this solution will never be plug and play. As mentioned before, modern seat tracks are sensitive to variation and our seat pans are far from meeting those reqirements :shock: I will weld everything together on a flat welding table. A cross bar and one seat pod will be fixed to the pan. The forth seat pod will be machined to fit after body install to avoid any twist :twisted:

In addition the solution is really taylored to my specific seats and everyone loves different ones.

Thanks for the flowers anyhow :oops:

TRS63 Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:28 am

Well thought solution, extremely cool!
Keep us updated!

Grüße

Antoine

J1 Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:37 pm

halbug wrote: LEGO for big boy's :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously?! My jaw keeps hurting from hitting the floor seeing things like this on the Samba! Yes I guess this is LEGOS for big boys if little boys had to design and build their own LEGO pieces.

halbug Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:04 am

Thank you guys!

Some updates:

Bought myself some special long shank grinding discs

... and got the dirty work done and finished 8)

Back to seats

Cheers
halbug

halbug Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:15 pm

Some pictures

Welding jig and prepping parts

Details

Straight forward welding of the seat support. The release mechanism is next. I hope this will go as smooth 8)

Cheers halbug

TRS63 Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:32 pm

As usual, clean, well thought and a great result.. thanks for sharing!! 8)

Antoine

halbug Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:26 pm

No progress on the Ghia :?

To continue I had to get my little lathe running. I had bought it some time back but never got it running. I cleaned everything, adjusted and oiled... Finally I am making ships in my own basement 8)

See ya
halbug

TDCTDI Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:33 pm

halbug wrote:
To continue I had to get my little lathe running. I had bought it some time back but never got it running. I cleaned everything, adjusted and oiled... Finally I am making ships in my own basement 8)

I hope you don't build them so large that you can't get them back out. :shock:

halbug Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:36 pm

I'll put them in a bottle first 8)

Disc Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:08 pm

He probably meant chips...

halbug Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:54 am

One seat console is done :D

All works as hoped. Return spring pulls lever with the rubber against adjustable stop to help avoid rattle. As do wave washers, so I don't have end-play in the shaft. All clears the seat. I'm happy with how it turned out. Here some pics.

Side covers are on the to-do-list.

Cheers
halbug

halbug Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:10 pm

I got the console and mechanism for the passenger side welded a couple weeks ago. The levers for the seat adjust needed hard brazing. I have been pushing this out, as I haven't done brazing for decades and wasn't sure how it would turn out... :oops:

Either way - I did them today and the result is decent. I am not sure if I shall grind the excessive brass away or if it even looks better to leave them as is??? The chrome plater will polish them anyway before dipping...

This concludes the seat consoles 8) I will have to grind and weld a couple things on the Thing pan next, including the bracketry to mount the seat tracks to the pan.

Cheers
halbug

xzener Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Wow, nice work on the tracks. :shock: