TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Axle length Page: Previous  1, 2
[email protected] Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:17 pm

nikke911 wrote: Changed from short to long axles on my splitbeetle. Problem now is the damper doesn.t line up anymore. They fit perfectly on the shorttube but the angle is different on the long tubes. Is there a readily made kit for this or do i have to make my own spacers?

Your early Beetle tube has the shock bolt parallel to the tube, where the later tube has the bottom bolt angled. Have you tried simply rotating the bottom of the shock?

Fubawu Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:30 am

I'm a bit confused here.

I have a 66 and believe that I have 67-68 swing axles. As the hub/bearing carrier seems to be slightly wider than stock. Is it possible to change only the bearing housing to the proper 66 and earlier? I believe this is the difference in length no? If this is done will the axle spline still work or will it be too long?

EVfun Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:02 am

Fubawu wrote: I'm a bit confused here.

I have a 66 and believe that I have 67-68 swing axles. As the hub/bearing carrier seems to be slightly wider than stock. Is it possible to change only the bearing housing to the proper 66 and earlier? I believe this is the difference in length no? If this is done will the axle spline still work or will it be too long?
You have to change the axle, it is shorter too.

Fubawu Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:04 am

I figured as much..thanks for the confirmation.