TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: First Air cooled.. 70 Camper. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
khalimadeath Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:32 am

Brian wrote: Means it probably came from a Type 3

So a type three block with single port stuff on it? Does that mean its the 60HP motor?.. im confused now. I was reading through my Chiltons manual and was trying to figure it out.

madmike Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:33 am

Cliton's manual is better then none at all, But Bently is the shits 8)
U block/case may be a replacement or Type 3 ,big oil gallys is a plus 8)
Anit no 60hp with a single port :lol:
Nice bus,My drum brakes work good enuff,(once adjusted they are better)But I don't drive faster then my angle can fly :lol: and live in BFE ,,only Deer&Elk country to watch for :roll: Madmike

Danwvw Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:26 pm

khalimadeath wrote: Not to thread jack but I am having a similar issue. My 70 Bay has a single port however the engine case has the following engine code (which was not on that list posted ^^)

U0484393

I am in the process of using a U043 case to build a stroker for my bus. (Even older) It will be a dual port 74mm stroke X 88mm bore. It has 10mm studs that were inserted. It has a nice sized oil pick-up (18mm od) I think this one was for a Type 3 as it has the type 3 blank off, I am not sure if it was added later or not but it also has the dip stick tube.
Both our case numbers fall within the early 1971 Type 3 group here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/serialnumberst3.php But yeah they may also be aftermarket ????? Not sure! Has your case been inserted?
Looks like a fuel injected 54 hp pancake engine case! Those were very nice running engines! Not sure what the difference in case design is for Horse Power probably just the case deck height! Should not matter at all. I plan on building mine for about 90 HP.

khalimadeath Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Pics!

Found the missing tins and ordered them, cleaned up the engine. Lots of maintenance

Prep

Paint

Moving along nicely. Now that the engine is all tidied up I can focus on making it a nice ride (suspension)

wcfvw69 Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Curious if you pulled the fuel tank panel and checked your fill hose and vent line hoses? I just pulled mine today and found they were original and that's why I have fuel smells with a full tank.

khalimadeath Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:38 pm

wcfvw69 wrote: Curious if you pulled the fuel tank panel and checked your fill hose and vent line hoses? I just pulled mine today and found they were original and that's why I have fuel smells with a full tank.

You know I did, and everything looked and smelled in very good shape. No evidence of leaks or damage in the lines or tank. Not a spot of rust anywhere inside of there. At no time of ownership, as of yet, have I smelled gasoline even with a half full tank as it now sits.

Tcash Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:13 am

Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!

wcfvw69 Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:19 pm

khalimadeath wrote: wcfvw69 wrote: Curious if you pulled the fuel tank panel and checked your fill hose and vent line hoses? I just pulled mine today and found they were original and that's why I have fuel smells with a full tank.

You know I did, and everything looked and smelled in very good shape. No evidence of leaks or damage in the lines or tank. Not a spot of rust anywhere inside of there. At no time of ownership, as of yet, have I smelled gasoline even with a half full tank as it now sits.

Did it look like the fuel tank cover had been off before? If not, you can replace the fill hose and the two rubber vent hoses for about $40 dollars. It's a lot of work to yank the engine out if it suddenly starts smelling like gas down the road. If you look at my refresh thread, you can see my bus has the original fuel hose and vent hose and it DOES smell like gas after more than 1/2 of tank of gas. Just a suggestion :)

khalimadeath Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:00 pm

wcfvw69 wrote: khalimadeath wrote: wcfvw69 wrote: Curious if you pulled the fuel tank panel and checked your fill hose and vent line hoses? I just pulled mine today and found they were original and that's why I have fuel smells with a full tank.

Did it look like the fuel tank cover had been off before? If not, you can replace the fill hose and the two rubber vent hoses for about $40 dollars. It's a lot of work to yank the engine out if it suddenly starts smelling like gas down the road. If you look at my refresh thread, you can see my bus has the original fuel hose and vent hose and it DOES smell like gas after more than 1/2 of tank of gas. Just a suggestion :)

You know I guess I will pop it off again this weekend to double check, but it has been off before. I didnt have any cloth lines in my engine bay. They were all replaced at some point.

Danwvw Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:54 pm

The tank fill hose 211 201 125 is good to replace for sure! I would also change all the fuel hoses. This 30R6 1/4" ID with inner woven nylon sleeve from CB Performance is excellent but is typically used on aftermarket Carbs like Webers and hose clamps are used. But it's better than the OE bradded fuel line commonly available these days. If your going with the 5mm cloth bradded fuel line which fit's Solex carbs without clamps and is the OEM style just change it every 2 years because it cracks and breaks easier.

khalimadeath Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Ok so you guys convinced me to take the cover off. Everything looks fine, BUT now that I am here I will replace whatever you guys want me to. SO what do I need to order? That filler neck is expensive (plus shipping from Canada Yikes!) from that site. Ill try to find it somewhere else. Also I am gonna drain the tank, I already took off the straps. Then what? How do I get it out from there without breaking anything?

wcfvw69 Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Yup, you have all the original hoses on that tank. Mine look exactly the same. My cover had never been removed so I know they are the originals.

As far as the hoses go, many have reported that Napa sells a hose that will work for the filler hose. If you search the bay forums, you'll find the part number for the filler hose. The other two vent hoses should not be difficult to find at a local parts house.

I'm removing my tank tomorrow to flush it as well. From what I can see, it looks like you remove the straps, unhook the filler hose, remove the drain valve at the bottom and slide it out. It looks pretty straight forward.

khalimadeath Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:09 am

wcfvw69 wrote: Yup, you have all the original hoses on that tank. Mine look exactly the same. My cover had never been removed so I know they are the originals.

As far as the hoses go, many have reported that Napa sells a hose that will work for the filler hose. If you search the bay forums, you'll find the part number for the filler hose. The other two vent hoses should not be difficult to find at a local parts house.

I'm removing my tank tomorrow to flush it as well. From what I can see, it looks like you remove the straps, unhook the filler hose, remove the drain valve at the bottom and slide it out. It looks pretty straight forward.

So by vent hoses you mean the little guys attached to the hard line looking thing? I guess I will be pulling it Sunday then.

secretsubmariner Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:26 am

Eric at Bughaus may be able to help you with the parts you need.

http://www.bughaus.com/type248.htm

They have a lot of stuff, although I don't know if they have the long big hose that connects right to the tank.

Bughaus has been excellent to work with in my experiences.

khalimadeath Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:14 pm

secretsubmariner wrote: Eric at Bughaus may be able to help you with the parts you need.

http://www.bughaus.com/type248.htm

They have a lot of stuff, although I don't know if they have the long big hose that connects right to the tank.

Bughaus has been excellent to work with in my experiences.

Cool another Bus bookmark for the collection. Basically I open all my bookmarked stores that sell bus stuff and find who has the best price with shipping considering the shipping time as well. J bugs is close to me and gets packages out very quickly. I think Ill be stopping by Napa to try and find these hoses.

Bughaus Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:42 pm

On the filler hose for our 68 Single Cab we used NAPA 1055 NBH GAS HOSE per Ratwell's recommendation. It was around $25 - you'll need about a foot of it tops. Be sure to clean out the drain tube and breather lines in your gas door compartment while you're doing all this. It's also a great time to put a fuel shut-off under the Bus and then run the filter after it - big plus the next time you have to pull your engine!

khalimadeath Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:09 pm

Bughaus wrote: On the filler hose for our 68 Single Cab we used NAPA 1055 NBH GAS HOSE per Ratwell's recommendation. It was around $25 - you'll need about a foot of it tops. Be sure to clean out the drain tube and breather lines in your gas door compartment while you're doing all this. It's also a great time to put a fuel shut-off under the Bus and then run the filter after it - big plus the next time you have to pull your engine!

Okay cool good call.

Stuartzickefoose Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Another off-road bus...yes! :D

Look up the off-road mods thread around here ;)

khalimadeath Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Stuartzickefoose wrote: Another off-road bus...yes! :D

Look up the off-road mods thread around here ;)

Ha, yea I was checking those out. IDK if I will be lifting it any time soon, however I will be at least putting some big tires on it for the time being.

Stuartzickefoose Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:32 pm

General grabber 27x8.5x14 is a great tire for a basic look upgrade plus stock runable with out having to change things.