TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: First Air cooled.. 70 Camper. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Tcash Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:10 pm

I just don't know how the power is supposed to travel through the meter and power the headlight as well.
It is like hooking up a jumper wire, but it measure the Amps going through the meter.
Page 9 (E) AC/DC Current Measurement (Amps).
If you did not turn the lights of before connecting or disconnecting the meter. You may have blown the fuse.

Try testing something else as suggested.

Tcash

khalimadeath Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Tcash wrote: I just don't know how the power is supposed to travel through the meter and power the headlight as well.
It is like hooking up a jumper wire, but it measure the Amps going through the meter.
If you did not turn the lights of before connecting or disconnecting the meter. You may have blown the fuse.

Tcash

I made sure to turn them on and off before manipulating the wires. Ill try again when I get home from work. Today begins my 4 12 hour days then 3 off! :D I dropped a PM to telford.

Honestly I might be up shit creek with this Generator. I don't see how after all this having the Gen light on and no battery charge can be fixed, but we will see..

khalimadeath Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:27 pm

In other news I realized the tires I bought are not correct for my bus. So now I am hoping that Discount tire will exchange them (since they did sell me unsafe tires and installed them on my bus). It looks like all they have in a size and rating that will work is the general grabbers.

wcfvw69 Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:36 pm

khalimadeath wrote: In other news I realized the tires I bought are not correct for my bus. So now I am hoping that Discount tire will exchange them (since they did sell me unsafe tires and installed them on my bus). It looks like all they have in a size and rating that will work is the general grabbers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121995343952

I'm ordering these in the next couple of days. Best price I've seen. Take your bus and these tires and get a credit for the ones they sold you. Have them mount and balance these. :D :D

khalimadeath Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:42 pm

wcfvw69 wrote: khalimadeath wrote: In other news I realized the tires I bought are not correct for my bus. So now I am hoping that Discount tire will exchange them (since they did sell me unsafe tires and installed them on my bus). It looks like all they have in a size and rating that will work is the general grabbers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121995343952

I'm ordering these in the next couple of days. Best price I've seen. Take your bus and these tires and get a credit for the ones they sold you. Have them mount and balance these. :D :D

I guess we will see if they give me credit or if they only allow me to exchange them. That will make the difference. If I can Ill get some of those. I feel like such a dumbass for buying the ones I got lol

Tcash Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:42 pm

khalimadeath wrote: Tcash wrote: I just don't know how the power is supposed to travel through the meter and power the headlight as well.

Tcash

I made sure to turn them on and off before manipulating the wires. Ill try again when I get home from work. Today begins my 4 12 hour days then 3 off! :D I dropped a PM to telford.

Honestly I might be up shit creek with this Generator. I don't see how after all this having the Gen light on and no battery charge can be fixed, but we will see..

What gets me is that your Gen was putting out 35v with df grounded. How can it not be putting out any Amps.
I'm sure Telford will be able to speak to this.
You don't know someone with an amp meter you could barrow.

Tcash

I just had a thought. If you can't get a hold of an Amp meter. You could swing by a automotive electrical shop. They used to test charging systems for free. Then if you need a generator you can have it built by them. Request that they use a genuine Bosch rebuild kit.

khalimadeath Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:00 pm

Well Ive made some calls around town and havent found anyone who can rebuild it yet.. Ill keep asking around but its not looking good. I got a line on a NOS one, Also a rebuilt Bosch unit. (rebuilt with Bosch parts).

khalimadeath Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:30 pm

So new generator is ordered, I took the old one out, current list-

-New cloth vacuum lines and fuel line (pump to carb)
-alternator stand gasket and get that cleaned up nice.
-the end plug thing for the oil drain tube off the filler
-repaint the filler and drain tube
-OE heater tubes
-extra shims
-clean a couple things in the engine bay while im in there.
-put the OG voltage regulator back in since that wasnt the problem.

ALSO if anyone has or can find a NOS fuel pump rebuild kit let me know, mine seems to be leaking ever so slightly and I want to get that squared away asap.

Discount tire will be replacing my tires with General grabbers. Ill be paying the difference but at least they didn't tell me to kick rocks.

khalimadeath Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Alternator stand polished with 0000 steel wool after goof off applied. Oil filler tube painted after being stripped to bare metal.

Tcash Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:31 pm

Question, are you putting an alternator in or the rebuilt generator?
If using the old voltage regulator. Test it, or it could melt down your rebuilt generator.
Good luck
Tcash

khalimadeath Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:21 pm

Tcash wrote: Question, are you putting an alternator in or the rebuilt generator?
If using the old voltage regulator. Test it, or it could melt down your rebuilt generator.
Good luck
Tcash

NOS 38 amp generator. How do I test the regulator?

Tcash Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:00 pm

Best to pick up where you left off with Telford.
Good luck

telford dorr wrote: Well, looks like the generator is OK. Did it spun 'smartly', or was it kinda lazy about it?

Do you have a meter with a 10 amp current scale on it? If so, connect it from the Df generator terminal to the generator case, in place of the jumper wire. Now run test #7 again and note the field current draw. [Every once in a while, the field coils develop a short, and the generator output falls a lot. You can tell by measuring the coil resistance (Df to D+). But most ohmmeters are miserably inaccurate at low ohms ranges, so measuring the current works better. R = E / I.] You're looking for 3 to 5 ohms resistance.

Assuming that checks out, on to the regulator.

Do you have access to a variable DC voltage source? If so, bench testing the regulator is trivial. An auto battery charger and a variac will work fine.

If not, we'll have to work around it.

First things first: All three wires (big red, green, and brown) between the generator and regulator must be good. Inspect for breaks, bad terminals, etc.

By-the-way, you can put the fan belt back on. We're done with the generator for now.

The regulator works by grounding the generator Df terminal. This causes the generator output voltage on the D+ terminal to go up. When the voltage reaches a setpoint (somewhere around 14 volts), a relay inside the regulator opens, effectively inserting a resistor in series from Df to ground. This reduces the generator output. If that isn't enough, the relay moves some more, effectively shorting the field out. This will stop all generator output. As the generator output falls, the relay releases, re-energizing the field coil. Thus, the relay sits there vibrating, turning the generator on and off, thus regulating the generator output voltage.

The solid state regulator works exactly the same way, only instead of a relay, it uses a transistor.

So; we can take the regulator to the bench and connect a test light between the regulator Df terminal and ground (the regulator mounting ears or D- terminal). We connect a variable DC source between the regulator D+ terminal and D- (ground). As we increase the voltage, the test light should get brighter, until we reach the trip point, at which point the light should suddenly go out. Lowering the voltage should bring the light back on. Make a note of these two voltages.

Note: when the light goes out, don't stay there very long, as there's a resistor on the bottom of the regulator that will get really HOT. [In normal operation, the voltage will automatically fall, so the resistor doesn't have to deal with it. Our test is a bit outside of normal...]

khalimadeath Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:50 am

The problem with that is I don't have a variable DC voltage source. I have a battery.. and a charger/tender.

Tcash Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:43 am

khalimadeath wrote: The problem with that is I don't have a variable DC voltage source. I have a battery.. and a charger/tender.
You will need to use the generator for testing. Any word from Telford?
Tcash

khalimadeath Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Tcash wrote: khalimadeath wrote: The problem with that is I don't have a variable DC voltage source. I have a battery.. and a charger/tender.
You will need to use the generator for testing. Any word from Telford?
Tcash

We talked over PM a bit. I just told him I bought a new one.

Tcash Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:22 pm

I was interested in Telfords test procedure to bench test the voltage regulators.

Some of the variable voltage supplies are reasonably priced. But without any specs who knows which one to get? The ones with low amperage ratings seem the cheapest.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_3_9?url=se...Caps%2C194
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=variac
https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Variable-Voltage-Pow...entries*=0

Here is a video showing the procedure on a alternator regulator.

Tcash

khalimadeath Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:41 pm

Ok well, ill give it a try with the gen back on.

The 32mm fan was cracked. Will a 35mm fan work with the same doghouse?

khalimadeath Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:41 pm

So the "new" generator is in, it charges the system as it should. New fan since my old one was cracked.

The generator seems to make a slight whirring noise. Ive listed to some ratwell audio clips of engine noise and it doesnt sound like any of them. It is almost non existent at low rpm's and goes up slightly with the rpm's.

khalimadeath Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:10 pm

Todays work..

wcfvw69-

Looks like im missing those springs you were talking about in your thread, I cleaned the oil bath really well though.

Tcash Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:15 pm

khalimadeath wrote: So the "new" generator is in, it charges the system as it should. New fan since my old one was cracked.

The generator seems to make a slight whirring noise. Ive listed to some ratwell audio clips of engine noise and it doesnt sound like any of them. It is almost non existent at low rpm's and goes up slightly with the rpm's.
With the engine running, lightly push and pull on the fan housing and see if the fan rubs.

Tcash