TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Quick Vendor Review - Bob's Auto Salvage and Used VW Parts
nerdhotrod Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:40 am

I just wanted to share an incredibility positive vendor experience I recently had. I needed a full hinge assembly for my recently purchased 76 westy. Common part, thought it would be an EASY acquisition to find a good used/workable part.

After calling a few "Bigger Name" used part vendors that deal with mainly bus parts I got pricing that ranged from 110-190. I opted for not the cheapest quote, but the one that seemed to come from one of the more reputable vendors on this forum. I waited over a week for the part to arrive and honestly... I feel like I got crap in a box. I received an unusable broken hinge that looked like it has been sitting at the bottom of a lake for the last 30 years. (they took it back no questions asked, A+ for the way they handled the return)

Fast fwd to late last week, I really wanted the hinge for the weekend so I could get my sliding door all squared away. After a quick google search I frond Bob's Auto Salvage and Used VW Parts in Strattanville PA.... It was a yard that I had never heard of before but was on the east coast so I gave them a whirl.

Called up, the person that answered (Bob I'm assuming)... Couldn't have been nicer, asked me how long I had my bus (seemed like he actually cared!), took my order (35 bucks for a full hinge btw!!!). The package arrived 2 days later (in time for the weekend), inside it was a clean, media blasted, complete working hinge with all associated hardware! It looked brand new, was pre-lubricated and ready for install.

This may not seem like a big deal, but I just felt like it deserved a short note here! Bob won my future business!

soissisc Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:20 am

I live near and have been to Bob's. Great guy. Glad everything worked out for you.

Bala Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:24 am

I love that there are still some "good guys" out there in the retail/salvage world. Good for him!

chazz79 Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:31 am

I'm sure this guy deserves the wrist slap :roll:

I knew that was coming :-({|=
It's not a huge deal for the west coast crowd where parts sources are on every corner but over here I run out of vendors I can count before I run out of fingers. Maybe they do deserve a little more attention. Some of the small time, vw specific junkyards require a very concise googling or you'll never find them. Tossing there name around on the samba gives them extra places to hit at.

I never knew about them until now.