TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: what is a decent price for windshield glass? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
atomatom Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:56 am

What does a vanagon windshield go for?

Is it worth paying the shipping and going for mail order (rock-auto $120+80 200) or sourcing from a local glass shop?

Someone is trying to sell a vanagon windshield for $500OBO on my local craigslist. I suspect they were spying on me.

And how horrible is the green/blue tint stripe? Anyone had one installed that they hated that much?

PDXWesty Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:01 am

My last windshield cost me $150 at a local glass shop, including installation. I got the replacement with the blue tint. I have no objection and the fit was good. Call around and see what the new ones cost in your area.

Terry Kay Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:01 am

Call a couple of local glass shops.
Usually about $175.00 installed at your location--- right where the vehicle sits.

shadetreetim Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:02 am

As TK said, call your local glass shop. When I did mine I ordered a new Seal and had it installed at the same time.

Terry Kay Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:06 am

I retract that last post filled with informative glass purchasing idea's.

The price I shot you was here in the USA, where glass shops are competitive, and there's one on every corner.

Your probably out in the boonies, and the closest Glazer is 300 miles from you or 600 Km whatever.

Probably double the $175.00 I told you about.
And that was for PPG tinted glass installed right here--didn't have to make a move anywhere.

atomatom Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks all. I'm not too far out in the wilds, but it is a ferry ride, so I'd probably pay a bit more for an installer to visit me.

I'd like to check/repair any window frame rot, so it is tempting to buy the glass and install it myself - tempting the first time, less appealing when I crack it the replacement as well.

geo_tonz Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:22 am

I just got a quote from Speedy a couple weeks ago...Think I can find the damn card?

I believe it was around $340 all in here in Courtenay with me supplying the seal. That was for a tinted window (matches the other stock windows), without the lame blue banner across the top that I would be staring through driving down the road. Given that the cost difference supplying the seal vs not wasn't much it's probably a cheap seal so I'd get a good one from somewhere (That Skylight Guy?) and bring it with you. Also don't let them get sloppy with the exacto and score the paint, setting you up for rust down the road. Read up on windsheild sealing too, seems it's best to apply some sealant in the bottom 1/3rd of the window, but they might already know that...

http://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/shop/windshield-seal/

geo_tonz Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:36 am

atomatom wrote: I'd like to check/repair any window frame rot, so it is tempting to buy the glass and install it myself - tempting the first time, less appealing when I crack it the replacement as well.

Got a buddy with a driveway/garage in Van? Head over there and do it, and have an installer come to you. Then you can do the rust R&R, or take it somewhere to get it done. Not sure the regs on driving around Metro Vancouver with no wind shield...could do it to the glass shop or to the repair shop...maybe. I think you can drive a jeep with the wind shield down...what's the diff?

madspaniard Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:40 am

PDXWesty wrote: My last windshield cost me $150 at a local glass shop, including installation. I got the replacement with the blue tint. I have no objection and the fit was good. Call around and see what the new ones cost in your area.

same here, 2 years ago

Sir Sam Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:58 am

$80 installed reusing my seal. 1 year ago.

insyncro Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:20 pm

PGW windshield with upper tinted section, delivered...$189.00

Zeitgeist 13 Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Personally, I prefer to install my own glass...especially the windshield. I'd want to inspect and mitigate the valley and pinch weld for rust, which I'm pretty sure their drones won't do for you.

whynotvw Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:27 pm

I paid $125 using the old seal. The old seal are very durable. I had the glass shop re-do it because I didn't like the first new glass. Too many waves. My original seal was used again and again. Don't cheap out, go with the best quality.

squeegee_boy Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Edit: I missed one reply, sorry, yep $340 is a pretty good deal locally.

Atomatom is in Vancouver, Canada, which is not the land of the $150 installed windshield ;)

These guys had the best deal I could find ~3 years ago (in Langley):

http://www.paylessglass.ca/ ~CAD$320 installed, I supplied the seal.

Whoever you go with, make sure to tell them it's NOT an ICBC claim (I'm assuming it isn't). Some places will give you a hefty discount if you're paying out of pocket.

If anyone has a better price in the Vancouver area, let me know, as my wife's GL could use a new one.

Robyn

atomatom Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:51 pm

Yeah, the joy of insurance influencing pricing! Crazy that Canadians have to pay so much more. But then again, we need moose-proof glass up here!

Maybe I'll pick up some glass when I drive down to Bellingham in a few weeks. It is cracked, not shattered. Otherwise, might consider getting it shipped from rockauto to pt roberts is $200, and taxed on $120. Seems crazy/stupid though.

Most annoyed at myself for cracking it while changing the seal. Bah. It did have a white cloudy patch in the corner of the glass, so I'm going to tell myself this windshield *needed* to be replaced anyway. *sigh*

Jake de Villiers Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Hmm. I hit a big hawk on the freeway coming home from Vancouver a little over a week ago. Absolutely demolished the windshield right in front of the steering wheel, pushing it in 3-4" and showering me with shards of glass - not to mention the giant BANG!!! as it hit.

Called White Rock Glass as the owner is a neighbour and I used to have those guys do all my shower stalls etc. when I was renovating houses - the tinted (no band) PGW (PSW?) windshield is a piece of wavy garbage and the 'seal' is awful... It was an ICBC claim and was around $350.00 total.

I'll get a new German seal from CIP1 later this week, and Brent is looking for a better windshield, too. I'm glad he could do it in a hurry though, as it made it possible for us to go to Darrington this weekend! ;)

I'll update later.

Terry Kay Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:59 pm

And here is the exact reason you should have a professional glazer do the job.
He breaks the glass?
Oh, so sorry --install another one.

How in the heck did you crack the glass by changing the seal?
Almost impossible.

PDXWesty Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:01 pm

If you're driving down anyway, schedule an appointment somewhere and get it fixed. Then if it breaks again, it's on them. They are readily available and it should only take an hour or two.

squeegee_boy Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Jake de Villiers wrote: the tinted (no band) PGW (PSW?) windshield is a piece of wavy garbage and the 'seal' is awful... It was an ICBC claim and was around $350.00 total.

I wonder if the windshield brand is the difference. I don't know what brand mine is, but it's optically great. Payless told me that the "insured" price would be north of $400. This was 3 (maybe closer to 4 now) years ago though. I haven't a clue what the cost of the raw windshield was; my bill wasn't itemized.

Robyn

atomatom Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:22 pm

you mean you didn't get the hawk-proof coating? a shame, a shame!

TK - i shake my head and roll my eyes at myself for my window errors. it turns out that autoglass is very tough on the outside, but not-so-tough on the inside. i pushed it with my hand after rolling the seal back in one corner, thinking it would roll out, crack F%&#@&!!!!

the glazer option is all great except for wanting to deal with any rust under the seal - the main reason i was going in poking in the first place.