TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: "Gravity/air pressure" flooding those at altitude? Page: Previous  1, 2
BarryL Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:00 pm

A tiny piece of rubber calved off the hose? Sometimes when hose is first pushed on any fitting a tiny chaff-shave bit will get inside.

Fredrok Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks Barry, I considered some form of debris as a possibility and removed the barbs to inspect at the time. I was unable to see anything however, after sitting on my bench for a few hours, it now works much better (but not like it did new). I'm thinking a thermal issue now.

BarryL Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:35 am

Fredrok wrote: I'm thinking a thermal issue now.

Without rereading all the past discussion on the valve, is it rated for continuous duty?

Fredrok Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:28 am

Great question Barry and unknown. I did find some specs but I've seen no confirmation for continuous duty. (mine was stamped for 12vDC)

http://www.seekpart.com/product/water-valve-2W025-08-3362084.html
http://www.tradeindia.com/fp1173234/Solenoid-Valve-2w-025-08.html
http://www.chinapropneumatic.com/products/2W025-08-Solenoid-Valve-827797.html

kreemoweet Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:21 am

Needle valves, such as the ones in the carb, are really not to be thought of as shutoff valves, they are mainly
flow regulating devices. That's why, at least since the early '60's, VW either incorporated a cutoff valve in
the fuel pumps or used a separate external cutoff valve. Tank pressure does not affect the operation of
those cutoffs. It seems you either don't have one (many aftermarket pumps are lacking this feature) or the one
in your pump is defective. There are "rebuild kits" available for some early VW/Pierburg fuel pumps, but the
quality is unfortunately very questionable.

Fredrok Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:17 am

Thank you for the suggestion. Here's the pump, looks like a cleaned up original?

I see WW offers a rebuild kit for $30, however my question would be if that was the cause, why not all the time instead of just full? Thank you!

mandraks Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:52 am

well it looks like a brosal pump without a hose clamp on it. :)

Fredrok Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:26 pm

Cute. That's because I took it off to pry the hose off on the side of the road to troubleshoot before scorching on asphalt and bathing in fuel, thus leaving it off and in pieces once I got it home to investigate (see earlier posting).

So, would the Brosol (as stamped on the side) be an original?

I'm learning VWs are A LOT like Jeeps. Better be mechanically adept and carry AAA for the back up.

mandraks Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:28 pm

mine were all Pierburg ones. I think the other ones are newer replacements

Fredrok Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks, I'll start yet another search to see what the TS collective deems trustworthy pumps!

BarryL Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:54 pm

kreemoweet wrote: ... since the early '60's, VW either incorporated a cutoff valve in the fuel pumps or used a separate external cutoff valve..

Do you have any pictures or links to these valves?

kreemoweet Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:43 pm

BarryL wrote: Do you have any pictures or links to these valves?

The Bentley and Haynes manuals have photos and diagrams of them.

From thesamba gallery, an external cutoff valve:

According to the Haynes manuals, the pumps like the OP's with the inscription "PE 20000" have internal cutoff valves, but the earlier ones with
"VW, 15" do not. That's talking about VW pumps (with VW logo, etc), I don't know whether that would apply to similar-looking Brosol pumps.

Fredrok Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:14 am

Good stuff, thanks. The confusion on what I should have stock continues.