TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: locker stuck on
outwesty Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:47 pm

I've been chasing down an oil leak on my syncro trans. It turns out someone had put two aluminum crush washers on the switch for the dash light. The locker on this van has always worked perfectly. When I installed the switch with one washer I noticed the locker pin did not move nearly as easily. Anyone every encounter this ? I tried pulling vacuum on the actuator with a mighty vac and that is still not enough. (drove it 100 yds or so swerving) Actuator is brand new and works but can't pull the pin out with the switch installed. Any ideas ?

Thanks

gears Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:49 pm

Reinstall switch with two crush washers ?

goffoz Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:22 pm

outwesty wrote: I've been chasing down an oil leak on my syncro trans. It turns out someone had put two aluminum crush washers on the switch for the dash light. The locker on this van has always worked perfectly. When I installed the switch with one washer I noticed the locker pin did not move nearly as easily. Anyone every encounter this ? I tried pulling vacuum on the actuator with a mighty vac and that is still not enough. (drove it 100 yds or so swerving) Actuator is brand new and works but can't pull the pin out with the switch installed. Any ideas ?

Thanks
If I don't drive my syncro weekly the locker and decoupler will often get sticky...they will engage or dis-engage when they feel inclined after I prompt them by pulling or pushing a knob :roll:
After everythings warmed up they become quite perky :D
I've had both apart to try and see a way to improve the performance,
..your double crush washer has given me a new thought :-k

outwesty Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:34 pm

gears wrote: Reinstall switch with two crush washers ?

It leaks badly with two crush washers. I get about 5mm of movement on the locker pin with the switch out. does that sound about right. hole for actuator pin at about the 2:00 position. Everything is as clean as can be. Thanks Paul

Edit - I get about 3/4" of travel on the pin after rotating the prop shaft a few degrees. Going to put it back together right now. Will report back.

outwesty Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:31 pm

figured it out. I didn't realize the aluminum sleeve the pin rides in has a certain orientation it needs to be in. I rotated it until I could feel the spot where the light switch needs to be. wont do that again. Thanks

gears Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:00 pm

Ah .. the pin rubbing on the aluminum sleeve. BTW, a leak from an area so far from oil splash sometimes signals that the vent is getting plugged.

morymob Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:15 am

What location on trans is the vent, looking at my sync installed trans maybe its not visible, are u. able to stick something into hole or is a loose cap there?? Looking at a spare trans I still dont find a vent.

gears Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:45 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344159