TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
crukab Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:25 am

I'm starting this topic for all of us that have lost somone they Love to Cancer.
MY Dad just lost his battle Wednesday, he had Mellanoma (sp?), 2 years ago it was a spot on his back, then they took his Linfnodes ( again I don't know how to spell it, but don't care)
4 weeks ago they said it came back, in his Brain, Liver & Spleen, 3 weeks ago he was still being an usher at his church, 2 weeks ago he had "Cyber Knlfe" treatment to Kill the spots on his Brain, it went downhill from that point, this past Sunday & my Brothers took him to the Hospital, I saw him Monday, not doing great, but still had all his brain/ mind working, Tuesday I got the call, I got to the Hospital @ 11:50 pm, he was gone by 2 a.m. Wed.
People say it was good he went fast, I know that it's true, my Pops was a "die w/your boots on" kind of guy, tough as nails.
I have a huge hole in me now, it hurts bad, but I know he will be w/ me all ways.
Stay healthy every one, hug the ones you love.

p.s. I'm not looking for condolences, just trying to give folks a place to post if they have lost someone they love to Cancer

FUCK CANCER

Here is a pic of my Dad & younger Brother @ Litchfeild in 2010

And he & I just after flipping my Truck on a Rotissurie, which I could not have done w/ out his help:

Glenn Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:28 am

Sux Tom.

Lost my Dad in 1980 to prostate cancer. He was 53.

My mom has had chronic leukemia for years, but just last month the found a GIST tumor in her stomach. It was removed and she's doing well. But now they found a small tumor in her lower right lung and will most likely need to have the lobe removed.

January of 2011 my childhood friend Sue was diagnosed with a gleoblastomer (brain cancer) and should of been dead in 7 months. It's been over 3 years and she's one of the very few that have survived this long. Last August she was also diagnosed with breast cancer and has survived that also.

Recently my cousin found a small lump in her breast. During the pretesting they also found she has lung cancer.

Cancer never sleeps, it strikes without warning.

F@CK CANCER

FASTBACKDON Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:41 am

Damn Tom

Prayers for you and your Dad. I know how your feeling , I lost my beautiful mother on New years Eve 2012 to pancreatic Cancer. Mom fought like hell she was given 8 months and lived 25 months.

Fuck cancer !!!!!!!!!

blankmange Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:58 am

so sorry for your loss, Tom...

someday I hope to see you again and tell you in person...

60ragtop Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:05 am

Lost a sister in 1953 to leukemia, lost my mother to it in 1981 after a 5 year battle. my father survived prostrate cancer since the 70's and died with a mild form of leukemia (not cause of death tho he was 86)
The one that hit hardest was my little brother 43 years old. he was planning for years to come visit me -June 2012 and when he finally could he wasn't feeling well. they suspected his gall bladder and were doing test. the day before he was to leave they did an MIR. the dr's advised against him coming to visit in June. But he said no I have to go or I will never get the chance again. Well he came out to WYO and got to see Yellowstone and the Tetons altho it was a struggle for him.. had no idea of the seriousness of his health. He had to cut his visit short and went home. the dreaded C word and by Sept he was gone.
Do you know how hard it is to talk with your brother about drying, chemo, radiation when you watched your mother go thru it?
My soapbox
SO GET OFF YOUR DUFF AND JOIN A WORTHWHILE CAUSE TO HELP CURE THIS DREADED DISEASE.

crofty Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:33 am

I lost my Uncle Jerry to Cancer a few years ago. He had beat it a few times but when it came back this time he didn't want to go through chemo again and it eventually won. A big loss to his kids, Wife and the rest of the familly.

I was diagnosed last month but was lucky enough to have it removed before it spread and am free of it.

Fuck Cancer.

bubblehead Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:42 am

Tom,
So sorry to hear about your dad. I remember meeting him at your place once. Seemed like a class act and I can see where you get it from. Hang in there bud. My thoughts are with you.

marklaken Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:58 am

I'm there with you. My kick ass wife, Anne Semlak, died from recurring brain tumors at 29 years old in 2008. Witnessing and supporting her through 6 years fighting the illness was the most humbling and useful thing I have ever done.

Based on my experience, I suggest bending over backwards for any family you know that is struggling with cancer (or other life threatening illness). Unfortunately, the tax on the immediate family is too great and they need the support of friends, but they are most likely too sad, proud, embarrassed or ashamed to ask for it. It may seem prudent to shy away from an uncomfortable situation and "give them space", but it's the worst thing you can possibly do.

Jon Schmid Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:59 am

Crukab, my condolences to you and your family for your loss. I lost my dad to cancer 5 years ago and miss him every day. My wife is a 6 year survivor and is doing great. :D We are involved in Relay For Life to benefit the American Cancer Society. I urge everyone reading this to think about getting involved any way you can to fight this disease; the lives you help save may include your own. Hang in there, buddy--you do not walk alone.

obus Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:09 pm

Tom condolences to you and your Family.

wcfvw69 Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:56 pm

I lost my mother to cancer almost a year ago. She fell during a walk around her neighborhood. Come to find out, she broke her hip. At the hospital, they noticed something wrong with her breathing. Come to find out, she had advanced lung cancer and they suspected the cancer spread and was what caused her hip fracture. She was so weak from the break and tests that they couldn't even fix the hip. She ended up passing away 5 days after going into the hospital at only 70.

She had NO obvious symptoms from the cancer even though it had spread throughout her body.

Agree, FUCK CANCER!

VOLKSWAGNUT Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:15 am

Death is inevitable for us all. We are all dying from the moment we are born.
The sooner that's realized the better... live for the moment, no one is guaranteed a tomorrow

Cherish the time you have with the ones you care for.....
Tom, it sounds like you did just that...

My thoughts are with you..

If you keep the memory alive.... the ones that are gone... are never lost, but it still sucks..

Ken

zozo Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:09 pm

Uncle - pancreatic cancer
Cousin - anal cancer
#1 Brother in law - pancreatic cancer
#2 Brother in law - mesothelioma
Uncle - Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Sister - currently admitted with colon cancer
Sister in law - lung, throat, and brain cancer (terminal for 23 years)

"Too young to die" is a dream.

Sorry for your loss.

Fuck cancer right in the heart.

MrBreeze Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:59 pm

Sorry to hear the news, Tom

hitest Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Tom- I know you requested no condolences, but you are more than qualified. I like this thread as a reminder that this community extends far beyond the (thankfully rather insignificant) cars. I lost both my parents to different cancers, 3 years apart, more than a decade ago: Esophogial(sp) for Dad and Lung for my Mom. My best friend has inoperable (but thankfully very remised) cancer in her stomach. I am exposed to cancer's touch everyday, through any social or family circle I have- including this one.

I really respect the love you have for your dad. You're going to get annoyed by how often you'll face an irrigation drainage problem or a question about your property tax bill- and the first thing you'll think is, "I know! I'll just ask Dad!" After a while it will no longer annoy- and it will put an instant smile on your face. That is the case with me 13 years later. I always smile.

I hope that you can feel at ease with your Father's passing. Stay on here and let us all know how you're doing.

Sincerely, Bradford

crukab Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:43 am

Thank you for all the kind words, here is my Dad's Obit :

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/hartfordcourant/o...;fhid=4297

Randy in Maine Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:18 am

Condolences to your family Mr. Crukab.

He certainly was a man who loved Scouting.

56Cabrio Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Mr. Crukab,
sorry for the loss of your Father.

Lost my Uncle in 1997 to brain cancer 56 yrs old
Lost my Aunt in 2007 to liver cancer 66 yrs old
Lost my Grandmother/Mom ( she raised me since i was 1) in 2009 to stomach cancer 93 yrs young
Lost another Uncle to lung cancer in 2011 74 yrs old ( never smoked)
Lost another Uncle to throat cancer in 2013 62 yrs old
Just lost another Aunt to lung cancer, 2 months ago 2014 74 yrs old (quit smoking 25 yrs ago)
Watching someone die of cancer is one of the worst things to see. For those of you that have been there you know what i'm talking about.
Fuck you cancer!!!!

The Sage Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Sorry to read this Tom. I met you at that Litchfield show and I think your dad too?

crukab Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:33 am

The Sage wrote: Sorry to read this Tom. I met you at that Litchfield show and I think your dad too?

Yes, @ Litchfeild, my Pops usually came up to the camp-out for a visit & Sunday checked out the show.

My Dad was a VW guy at times, he bought a '66 Bug new off the lot @ Heart VW in Hartford Ct. in '66, he also had a '70 Westy and a '65 Bug, thats in my back feild now.

Sunday was the wake, 100's of people, line out the door for hours, lots of tears & hugs. Monday was the Funeral, 35 Scouts lined the Church steps, pretty cool, 27 Eagle Scouts during his time, in a troop that had as few as 5 kids, to up around 35 now. Now it is time to help my Mom get thru this.