TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vanagon 2.1 plastic coolant pipe hanger wire locations
vanagonjon Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:07 am

I have the plastic cooling lines out of my new to me '91 GL and there were none of the original stainless wire hangers on the van. The tubes were sagging real low under the rear cross member. I bought some replacement hangers from a forum member (Thanks TK) but I am not sure where they were placed originally from the factory. Does anybody know where they were originally placed? I see the original holes on the rear cross member. Also is there a best way to mount the heater hoses that does not interfere with anything else under the van?

Thanks
John F

vanagonjon Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:31 am

The coolant pipes are heavy, so the VW engineers must have calculated how many hangers were needed to keep the plastic lines securely in place. When I purchased some from Terry Kay he said there were supposed to be four. I didn't see that many spots with holes/slots on the underside. Is there a VW drawing somewhere that shows the correct mounting of the coolant pipes and routing of the heater hoses?

Thanks,
John

geo_tonz Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:09 am

I'm quite sure my '89 had the original pipes and there were only 2 wire hangers, I believe at the last cross-member before either end. There was also a large wormscrew pipeclamp that went around both pipes and a hanger tab on the frame around the 1/2 way mark that keeps it pretty secure. When I replaced with stainless pipes I couldn't get the wire hangers back on as I probably didn't have them EXACTLY in the same position (looked the same but...). I reinforced with HD zip ties through holes in the cross-members and the pipes can't move now. The wire clips are in a labelled baggy for now.

geo_tonz Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:37 am

Some pictures from this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=20
And this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546700&start=20

This is the forward end: you can faintly see one of the wire clips attached to the above cross-member about 8" back.

And again:

And again:

And the rear wire clip would go here see it on the front side of the cross-member):

And I think the hose clamp is just on the front side of the cross-member above the rear of the tank:

Terry Kay Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:25 am

Yea--the heater hose just runs along the coolant pipes with wire ties--
No problem---

vanagonjon Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.

John