TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cam Timing affect on powerband Page: Previous  1, 2
vugbug68 Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:56 pm

mark tucker wrote: you need to learn how to degree a cam. you are not addvanced your retarded.

haha that's funny pun intended?

TinCanFab Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:56 pm

Yeah, it was a late night last night. I'm using a dial indicator mounted at the top of the cylinder and a pushrod to measure. Degree wheel as well.... I've got the indicator lined up as straight as possible with the pushrod. Please excuse that I'm terrible with numbers and math in general. So when I flip the washers around I should have intake open at 23 degrees, and intake closing at 52?

Alstrup Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:45 am

NO!
The cam only moves half of the crank.
Since its a mystery cam, you need to measure the entire lobe and also check when the cam (valve closes) to be sure that you know where you are, so to speak. If it is a true copy of the w110 you should be at approx 53 ABDC with the setting you have now.
If it is ground straight up you should be at about 16 BTDC and 52/53 ABDC.
Again, IF it is a W110 copy, I recomend to set it up with in the above and 18 - 50 for best performance.

T

mark tucker Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:02 am

vugbug68 wrote: mark tucker wrote: you need to learn how to degree a cam. you are not addvanced your retarded.

haha that's funny pun intended? OH I see,no there wasent a pun intended that was just an extra bennifit or observation.. :shock: just kidding.many people think they know how to do it but in reality they dont.and this is what we have hear. it's not hard but it can be fusterating and confuzing. there is a lot to soak up and keep straight if you have never done it or dont do it on a regular baisis. you should of seen me scrathing my head the first vw I did."wtf??this cant be right"after a few times of going over it and getting the same results I realized this things have shit for rocker ratio so the cam has to have big duration&lift to even run. my hair has since grown back. just another cause and affect item not fully realized untill i had a coke&cookie. the world is full of stuff like that.

TinCanFab Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:12 am

Alstrup wrote: NO!
The cam only moves half of the crank.
Since its a mystery cam, you need to measure the entire lobe and also check when the cam (valve closes) to be sure that you know where you are, so to speak. If it is a true copy of the w110 you should be at approx 53 ABDC with the setting you have now.
If it is ground straight up you should be at about 16 BTDC and 52/53 ABDC.
Again, IF it is a W110 copy, I recomend to set it up with in the above and 18 - 50 for best performance.

T

OK, I understand the cam doesn't move as much as the crank, because of it's giant gear. To clarify, you are saying my cam is now retarded at 15 (number decreased on intake BTDC) so the exhaust closing should now be around 52/53 (number increased ABDC compared to the 48 spec on the card, assuming the cam is a match).

Retard the cam: Intake BTDC number goes DOWN, Exhaust ABDC goes UP
Advance the cam: Intake BTDC nuber goes UP, Exhaust ABDC goes DOWN

I was thinking both numbers for these specs move in the same direction. Is this where I've been retarded all along? :lol: