TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Colorado Bay Owners? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Manfred58sc Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 am

Good work! keep the strict German discipline in your repair efforts.

camit34 Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Manfred58sc wrote: Good work! keep the strict German discipline in your repair efforts.

Thanks! I'll do my best.

Received the call today the longblock is ready to be picked up. I have most of the pieces to start the "put it together" phase but still need to clean up the tin...

richparker Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:13 am

Denver to Durango on a fresh engine, Niice!!!

camit34 Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 pm

richparker wrote: Denver to Durango on a fresh engine, Niice!!!

Right!!?

Getting it put together and broken in before the trip...gonna be fun!

Just picked it up today at lunch. My carb should be delivered today also.

camit34 Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Have the engine in the stand and working on getting the tin cleaned up and ready.

Already have a little helper...

Manfred58sc Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Cool pic, almost ready to adjust valves!

Xevin Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:26 pm

That's adorable. She might not be able to get the valve covers off yet. But looks she's got your end play figured out. Awesome play time :D

richparker Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:57 am

Can't wait to see this 1914 in action!

camit34 Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:48 pm

Got some of the tin cleaned up. It looks like crap but you should've seen it before the 5ish hours of cleaning...

And another of the little one installing some of the tin

Yarkle Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:55 pm

those red plugs look hella handy, where are they from?

camit34 Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:10 pm

Yarkle wrote: those red plugs look hella handy, where are they from?

Not sure where you'd purchase them. I just had this engine rebuilt and it came with them when I picked it up.

camit34 Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:27 pm

Lots of little frustrations but made some decent progress. However, no little helper today, I think she's over it...

Manfred58sc Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:41 pm

OG tin on a Big bore engine causes gaps (noticeable on the right side) . This creates hot spots, there are various solutions to this on the samba. Looking good otherwise..helpers need rest sometimes.

camit34 Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Manfred58sc wrote: OG tin on a Big bore engine causes gaps (noticeable on the right side) . This creates hot spots, there are various solutions to this on the samba. Looking good otherwise..helpers need rest sometimes.

I'll look into this, appreciate the info!

Roark Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Here in Lakewood. 71 Patina DOKA 'Krusty'

Manfred58sc Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:20 pm

pics? I love krusty bus's

Bulli Klinik Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:29 am

camit34 wrote: Lots of little frustrations but made some decent progress. However, no little helper today, I think she's over it...

Something doesn't look right. Is that a 1/2 lower sled turned backward and being used in the 3/4 side?

camit34 Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:28 am

Bulli Klinik wrote: camit34 wrote: Lots of little frustrations but made some decent progress. However, no little helper today, I think she's over it...

Something doesn't look right. Is that a 1/2 lower sled turned backward and being used in the 3/4 side?

Still learning a lot of this. You are referring to the lower tin on the left side?

I'm doing a stare and compare to the original engine that was in my Bus.

Can you toss some knowledge at me and I'll see what I can either fix or get replacements for.

I'm noticing a lot of engines with NO lower tin. Should I just not use any...Don't really think that is the way to go.

vwwestyman Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:52 am

camit34 wrote: Bulli Klinik wrote: camit34 wrote: Lots of little frustrations but made some decent progress. However, no little helper today, I think she's over it...

Still learning a lot of this. You are referring to the lower tin on the left side?

I'm doing a stare and compare to the original engine that was in my Bus.

Can you toss some knowledge at me and I'll see what I can either fix or get replacements for.

I'm noticing a lot of engines with NO lower tin. Should I just not use any...Don't really think that is the way to go.

In the interest of the thermostat working properly (I don't see a thermostat.
:( ), and protecting the push rod tubes from rock impact, it is advisable to utilize the "sled" tin.

It does look like you've installed both sides' sled tins on the driver side (left in pic) of the motor.

The piece that is mostly visible should go on the other side of the motor, so the sleds go from the upper cylinder, then down and under the push rod tubes. As this pic faces, without the rest of the back piece of tin, you'd see the underside of the cylinder/head fins.

camit34 Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:26 pm

vwwestyman wrote:
In the interest of the thermostat working properly (I don't see a thermostat.
:( ), and protecting the push rod tubes from rock impact, it is advisable to utilize the "sled" tin.

It does look like you've installed both sides' sled tins on the driver side (left in pic) of the motor.

The piece that is mostly visible should go on the other side of the motor, so the sleds go from the upper cylinder, then down and under the push rod tubes. As this pic faces, without the rest of the back piece of tin, you'd see the underside of the cylinder/head fins.

Unfortunately neither engine I have has a thermostat, I'll locate one and get that fixed.

I'm pretty sure I'm following you on your description but I'll take a couple photos of it later this evening, post'em up, then fix it.

Appreciate the help!