TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Colorado Bay Owners? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Manfred58sc Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:41 am

Are those commercial hubcaps?? Tasty!

camit34 Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:58 pm

richparker wrote:

All right then!!! It’s my goal to have my ‘71 Westy rolling by July 1. Just in time for the mid summer VW event push.

‘71 project

Any update on this project?

Manfred58sc Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:15 pm

I've made progress on the Solar Ice Cream Bus. It now has an engine and transmission installed and maybe it will be running by the end of the month. I've had to do the work in a field at my Dad's house ( its too tall for my garage ). Its been a long,long time since I've had to work like that ( the sun is hot! it gets cold! endless trips for missing parts ).

Manfred58sc Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Like so...

richparker Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:37 pm

camit34 wrote:

Any update on this project?

Some. I pulled the engine, transaxle and axles. Engine is factory rebuilt and turns over with ease. Transaxle seems to be original with ~90k on it. CVs and the CV boots look great. I cleaned the interior up, removing all the left over stuff from the PO and vacuuming. Hoping to pull the steering box, gas tank this weekend before wither really hits. Purgatory Ski Resort recieved 3” yesterday, winter is on its way in the SW part of the state. 🎿. I’m gonna send the steering box to to Wolfgang to be rebuilt over the winter. I do not know the condition of the tank but i recieved the bus with no gas cap, so who knows. I’m planning on taking it to the local radiator shop and have it boiled if necessary.

My plan is to put my ‘68 up for sale in the beginning of March. Once it sells I’m gonna dump all that money into the ‘71. I foresee things moving along a lot quicker in the spring.

richparker Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Manfred58sc wrote: Like so...

Looking good Manfred! That’s gonna be a great bus for 4CORE, that’s what the Colorado Springs guys are calling the off road event these days. ;)

yellowCOwesty Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:27 pm

One of these days I will be home in CO when the off-road trip takes place....

Now I just need to start my exhaust backdate.

Manfred58sc Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:25 am

Good name!! Solar Ice Cream should be made in remote locations for a limited clientele ( I sense a money losing enterprise here) . This Bus is %100 used parts, but they are German and I've had better luck with that route than any other. I'm sure the Bone Bus will find eager buyers in Derango.

camit34 Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:58 am

Good plan Rich!

Nice work Manfred! Looks great!

Manfred58sc Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:24 pm

Ok the whole side of the Bus really needed some help. The rest of the Bus has art, yet this side was left empty. Maybe so the cops would not notice whilst on the road? So my trusty partner and artist penciled in some ideas...

Manfred58sc Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 pm

It now has a complete drivetrain! I started with nothing, had to round up the whole nine yards. The engine is a used 1600DP, with lots of German parts ( only the carburetor is Chinese ). It should go fine, but its all untested as of the moment.

Manfred58sc Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41 pm

Now this will make any child smile!!! ( and rush the Bus with parents demanding a treat). Still have to do wiring up at the dash , but I'm getting close to a start up ( first in many,many years). I'll grab a video of the first start and drive

richparker Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:37 am

Looks awesome, Manfred. You’re making more progress then I am. I did pull the steering box and gas tank before winter really hits.

Manfred58sc Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:24 pm

A picture of the door, how cute!!

mtnbus Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Love yer bus Manfred ! What a great camper !

Richie, Yours is super cool too!

Im stoked to have a bay

Manfred58sc Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:23 pm

Alright, the ice cream bus is almost ready for a trail run. Just need to tidy up some wiring ( and borrow a decent camera to film the event). Made a hill-billy rear bumper with quick release pins on stock brackets. I've really enjoyed fixing this Bus!

camit34 Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Bus looks great!!!

Manfred58sc Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks, I just picked up some very " ice-cream shop " looking contact paper for the interior panels and a variety of cone holders from a long closed local malt shop. As soon as the weather warms up I'll get back on it. Its too tall for my shop, so I'm stuck working on it only on nice days that happen to be "free" from other duties...

TheLills.com Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:02 pm

We've been traveling through Colorado (with our dog and cat) and it's been super helpful to connect with CO Samba members (special thanks goes out to Rich P. and Manfred).

P.S. Manfred - the ice cream bus is a blast!

Here's a picture of us and our bus when we reached Colorado:

Here are some of our travel videos from our experiences in Colorado!

We have more travel videos through Colorado on our website and we're thinking about visiting some other beautiful places in the state.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! :D

- Peace & Love

Manfred58sc Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:05 pm

Monarch is the "locals" place to ski ( much like Wolf Creek ). You can camp at Salida East for free just down the road. Hot Springs all around, decent dispensary, cool vibe towns ( Buena Vista and Salida ). Oh ya, that's why I live in Colorado and hardly ever leave the state.

Been working on customers VW's, not getting much else done. Days are short,its cold, excuses come easy this time of year.