TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vw pan, cage
Travis Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:35 pm

I am planning on building from a vw frame up a rollcage and body stifner now that i got a welder. I want bends and round tubing, but my question is, is what most dune buggy's built out of tube or pipe. The reason is becuase pipe benders are under 100 and tube benders are around 400. Thanks

Ratt Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:48 pm

They are built out of Tube. Pipe is a whole differant material then Tube. Here is a link to a Bugy site, Post there, they can describe it better then I can.
Andy
http://www.dune-buggy.com/buggytalk/

62ragman Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:15 pm

Have you checked out Chenowths Class 11 cage kit? Seems like a good start for what you say your planning. Not too bad on price at $ 150 from most Hot VWs advertisers either. Most chassis builders use chromoly or mild steel tubing, neither of which you would want to try and bend with a pipe bender which is designed to bend electrical conduit(much thinner). What kind of welder did you get?

Ratt Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:21 pm

Stay away from Chromoly if its ytour first time. The beneits of the Chromoly isnt worth the time it takes. You have to Preheat The Chromoly to a cherry red right befor you weld it, then heat treat it after wards or run the risk of cracking. I would just use the Mild steel. Like Ragman said, check out the class 11 cage. Its a great start, and you can build off of it.
Andy

Nathan Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:11 am

Don't go for the pipe bender. It's cheaper but doesn't work for shit. I bought one and got the right chuck that fit the tubing that I was using. I quickly mangled about ten feet of tube just trying to make a simple large radius. The orange pipe bender that you are probably looking at is cheap but only works on heavy wall pipe and solid stock.

For tubing you need a bender that draws the material around the chuck instead of pushing in the middle. There are benders out there that will do this, that aren't to expensive.

Spend a little more money, and save yourself the hastle of trying to make a pipe bender work on tubing.

Good luck with your project!

rfoutch Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:20 am

These people sell a great tubing bender and are real helpful.

The tubing bender is a lot more $$$ but worth it for sure..

http://www.pro-tools.com

Randy

Nathan Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:15 am

http://www.lowbucktools.com/hydbender.html

This bender works on the same principle as the one that rfoutch recomended. It's a lot cheaper also.

Chris Dotson Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:00 pm

Wow, I learned something here. I have the orange pipe bender mentioned and had sorta thought about doing just as you said building off of the class 11 cage. I'm an electrician, so I bend EMT whitch is a thin wall pipe and I also bend rigid pipe whitch is really thick wall pipe. We use a hydrolic pipe bender that has a shoe that moves with the pipe like the nice tubing bender needed to build a good roll cage. The fact that we bend pipe in what is really called a tubing bender never crossed my mind. I haven't even used the orange pipe bender yet to realize how bad it really sucks. I guess I will be building my cage at work instead of at home.

bajaherbie Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:33 pm

chris, i borrowed a friends orange bender to build a rollcage and nerf bars for my kids gokart. all i did was mangle some brand new mild steel tubing. the bender flattened one side of the tubing and then bent it. i gave up on the nerf bars.

kit.car Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:20 pm

I too have the orange bender...not very good. From what I understand, the only way to get it not to crimp the pipe is to pack the pipe with sand and pound wooden end caps on it. Then bend it... Anyone tried this?

Nathan Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:39 am

I believe that packing the tube with sand will work. For your time and effort, I think its best to spend the money on the right eqipment though.

Anyone want my orange bender for $75?

62ragman Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:40 pm

Check out www.lowbucktools.com. I have one of thier older tube benders my Dad gave me,(its about 20 years old) and it works great. No crimping just nice smooth bends.