TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: kingpin vs. balljoint
HamburgerBrad Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:54 pm

why would one use a kp front end vs a balljoint offroad? and how do you achieve a 5 lug rear without adapter plates?

62ragman Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:36 pm

Balljoint front ends work good for limited racing class( class 9 & 11) and for budget recreational buggies, but not that much if anything aftermarket is made to beef up this set up. King pin, on the other hand has every part available to make it just short of bullet proof. Don't get me wrong though, the ball joint will hold up to alot of abuse off road. It basically depends on how heavy your right foot is to how long stuff will last.
As for the 5 lug, you can change the drums, Iam not sure to what years interchange though. Anybody know?

JamesT Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:28 pm

I think Type 3's had larger rear brakes with the 5-bolt pattern, but I'm not sure. I know of people running 66-67 rears to get the large 5 bolt, but I think the breaks are smaller and you need to put about a 15cm shim behind the axle nut.

vicsvw Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:01 pm

See this Page on upgrading Brakes -> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/brakehowto.htm and -> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/brakedrums.htm

Chrispoage Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:32 am

I was looking on chirco at the wariorr front beam and that looks nice because its a little wider than stock. but the ends are empty, you just get the beam. so you need tortion bars and trailing arms etc. so does that mean you could put on either link pin or ball joint? and if so which is the cheap vs expensive way to go?

vicsvw Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:32 pm

All Long Travel Front end's are KP. The Ball Joint travel is very limited do to the ball joints. Vic.

HamburgerBrad Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:47 pm

for an update, last weekend i purchased the warrior beam. im currently looking for the innards and outards of the beam, which i think i may have found. excellent.

Brad

[email protected] Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:52 am

for the rear what I did was simply use 181 Thing drums for a direct fit to an IRS car. they are wider though so your overall width will be affected, but offroad it no as critical unless your running full fendered.