TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Aux Air Valve Aperture size
BerneseMtnDog Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a new owner of an 82 FI air cooled Vanagon and currently trying to sort out some cold start issues. The Aux Air Valve was one of the first places I looked so I took it off, cleaned it and tested its operation. It definitely closes when voltage or heat is applied. If I leave it in the freezer for several hours it will open maybe 75%. At about 40 degrees F it's only open maybe 15% or so. Does this sound about right? Are there any pictures online that would show how open this should be typically? I've looked but not found anything. Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

Mr Brown Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Just adjust it until your happy with it. Loosen that little nut on the back and move the stud up or down, very sensitive. Be gentle on the nut as it strips easily.

westyman71 Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:02 pm

Saw your post. Thought I would try an experiment.

I have a new AAR (in the box)

At room temperature (70 degrees F), it was about half open

Put it in the freezer for an hour.
I was about 90 percent open

Hope this helps

BerneseMtnDog Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:08 am

Thanks westyman, that does help. I'll try to play around with the adjusting screw and see if I can get mine to open more. Mine is definitely not that open at those temps.. Thanks again for the help.

Steve

Randy in Maine Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:05 am

I am sure you have been over here.....

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7834

BerneseMtnDog Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:36 pm

I did see that. Just wish the pictures were still there. Good adjustment description though.

Steve

BerneseMtnDog Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:36 am

So I ordered a new aux air valve from Bus Depot and sure enough the aperture size at room temp is much larger. I adjusted my old one as wide open as I could but it wasn't as open as the new one. The new one fixed my stalling at cold start so I thought I'd post pictures of the new and old valve for others in case they have similar problems.

Steve
New valve:

Old valve: