TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mein Chop- 1966 roof chop
NJ John Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:30 am

Still working on it. The cold weather and holidays have slowed me a bit. But, I bought a heater and plan on getting some more work done.
One roof, lengthened and not widened. 1960 rear window. It will have a factory rag sun roof. The body is now sitting on an IRS pan. I narrowed the beam 3".

Thanks for looking!

NJ John Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:37 am

Does anyone know if 73 doors will fit my 66 body. I may try another set of doors with less rust. Thanks

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:09 am

NJ John wrote: Does anyone know if 73 doors will fit my 66 body. I may try another set of doors with less rust. Thanks

Door physical size is the same for all Beetles. So fit yes. Even 1964 and older doors will fit but with door window to quarter window line differences.

Now for the issues.

Specifically for your 73 door and 66 body question the biggest issue is the difference between the door latching mechanical type as the window lines are the same.

1967 and newer use a claw and pin mechanism
1966 and prior use the slider mechanism.

Having a 1966 body puts door replacement as a 2 year only door search.
1965 and 1966 doors match the window line and use the slider latch.

Of course....you could always upgrade the body side to match the door....
You now have the info...so now its your choice... :wink:

It's obvious you are scared to make serious modifications so changing the body sliding latch to a pin......would be a breeze.

NJ John Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:19 am

After looking in catalogs I began to notice the two year only door parts. I'll wait till the donor car gets here to make a disicion. Thanks

mtstatemadness Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:05 pm

Just came across your post about the chop. How did it turn out and very interested in how you chopped without widening. I'm wanting to chop my 65 and like your chop.

NJ John Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:04 am

Itís sitting as pictured. I really didnít like leaning the door tops and the B pillars in. This car is rusty and probably just a test. Next time, I would widen the roof, but not at the top of the windshield. So kinda split the A pillars and widen the roof behind it. For me, the wide roof and late windshield combo makes for a funny big wide windshield look.
Not saying you canít go the non widened roof route. I can take more pics if you need.

tisius Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:09 am

NJ John wrote: This car is rusty and probably just a test. Next time,.....

:roll:
Why can't you fix this car the way you mention, and progress? It's only cutting metal and welding it to modify it further towards what you like.

NJ John Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:19 am

Itís just time and space. I have a 76 standard rust free body. The 66 may donate its front and rear clips at some point.

NJ John Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:53 pm

Bye, bye. Iím moving and donít have much choice.