TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 3x3's & Funcional Handbrake
Daily Driver Bajabug Guy Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:18 am

Does anyone know of a place that makes or just sells extra long hand brake cables that will fit a baja with 930 3x3's? I'm guessing I need at least 6 inches longer or so. I would like to keep the handbrake funcional.
Thanks Guys.

Nathan Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:21 am

Have you thought about using bus cables? They may be too long for your application though.

Daily Driver Bajabug Guy Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:28 am

Bus handbrake cables? Have you done this or heard of anyone doing this? I guess no one that uses 3x3 or bigger even wants to use the hand brake anymore. I want to keep it funcional. I've found combination style locking handbrake handles that seem to look effective enough to deflect any pest that wants to steal my baja for a romp followed by pushing it off a cliff after thrashing it for a few hours. I've found several stolen cars(Including a bug) at the bottom of the cliffs all smashed up in my area.

Any other ideas guys? I would go for custom handbrake cables if you could refer me to someone that can make me a nice set.

Type 5 Joe Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:40 am

Try www.terrycable.com

Ask for Corry.... He'll know what your talking about.

These guys make the best cables around for Bikes, some cars, ect...

They provide the Cables used by C.B. Performance for their Disc Brake kits, single Weber / Dellorto carb kits.... and probably more.

Corry is a nice guy, knows V.W.'s, and* might* do some custom cables for you.

Expect to pay for Quality... This is what they selll.. Please don't bother him if your a tight-wad.

Good Luck, - Joe

Daily Driver Bajabug Guy Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:46 am

Awesome! Quality is what I strive for. I hate jerry rigging up my vw. Plus I don't want my baja rolling down a steep hill(1st or reverse gear isn't enough) & smashing into a city fence, someones mailbox, or worse; off a cliff while picking up my navigator from his/her house. Thanks a millon dude. I'll see what he can do for me & post it here on the same topic.

Nathan Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:03 am

No I haven't tried the bus cables, but they are longer. Maybe to long for your application. I'm in the process of making cutting brakes and am going to use cables from my local sail shop. The cables are stainless and have a tensile strength of 1700 pounds! This could work for your project but would require fabricating the ends of the cables appropriately. The cables I'm going to use are 1/8" diameter, and cost .80 foot.

Lo Cash John Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:12 pm

We can make those cables for you. Take a look at http://www.locashracing.org/products.html

We generally just get requests for shorter than stock clutch and brake cables from the buggy and 356 crowd, but longer is no problem. We'll need a little basic info and then can have them on UPS by Wednesday or so.

Nathan Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:55 am

If you go to your local sail shop they will build the cables out of the materials that you purchase free of charge. The cost of the 1/8" cable is about a dollar a foot and the other hardware is about two dollars. Figure out your lengths and the ends you want and go for it.