TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 4x4 front steering knuckle for trailing arm
Druck1 Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:29 pm

First post after in this section. I need some help from the forum. For many years I have been hoarding a complete 4x4 syncro drive train. I am now starting to think about putting it on the road. Maybe a Schwimmwagen replica. I would like to use trailing arm front suspension to keep things reasonably VW. Below is a sketch I made of a possible solution. The basic idea is a steering knuckle fabricated from easy to access parts, to which a micro stub axle set is bolted. Uniballs are used instead of king pins or ball joints. Link pins connect the knuckle to the trailing arms. Shims used to set camber angle.

The biggest drawback would be the need for a custom front beam to achieve the needed separation to avoid castor change through travel. I hope the drawings are clear. Any comments are appreciated. Note: I just estimated the CV joint center position at 2.5". If anyone has the real dimension, that would be helpful.
If this idea is workable, I will figure out steering arm geometry next.

65BAJA Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:03 pm

This could be interesting. In for the results.

Brian Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:20 pm

:popcorn:

petrol punk Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:10 am

Off the top of my head, the first issue I see is lack of steering angle. 25* doesn't seem much. I don't know what stock steering angle is, but I think the guys I've talked to building desert cars were getting at least low 30's steering angle on their inside wheel. Also a 1" spherical bearing with 7/8" misalignment spacers might not produce much steering angle either.

Druck1 Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:40 am

good comment.
there must be a uniball out there with +25* angle. Probably 3/4 bolt/link pin.

syncrobuggy1 Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:45 pm

Really old thread but did you ever build this? looking at doing something similar.

thanks

PhillipM Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:19 am

Steering angle is your issue, even with high-angle joints I have to run misalignment spacers too and very careful setup to get enough steering lock.