TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Favorite can't-live-without travel item Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
david2676 Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:54 pm

I have yet to do an extended trip on my camper, I do have all the gear I take back packing so its not like I am going to be without something I need. My question is what do you have or found that is your favorite thing to take along.

I am talking more in the way of something that works really well with camper travel. That kind of item you tell a friend, "get one of these "

one item on my list is a shower, I would like to be able to shower off... I am considering doing the DIY solar shower or one of the propane showers ?

after that anything else that makes packing organizing storing ect easier ?

ThankYouJerry Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:07 pm

MountainSmith cube bags.
ENO Twighlights LED light strings
Camp Chef Everest II stove
ARB50 fridge
Blue Planet inflatable SUP
GCI Outdoor Express Lounger - folding camp chair
Thermarest Compressable Pillow
Propex furnace

0to60in6min Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:11 pm

$$$$$$$

and lot of it....

any other item you can use $$ to get it when needs arise..

:D

guggenheim Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:13 pm

A good sense of adventure and even greater travel buddies. This is easier said than done.

The understanding of each others tiny free space, the ability and understanding of each others cans, do's, and don'ts.

Daily tasks. If someone likes to cook, let them cook. Someone likes to drive, let them drive. Don't ever try and split tasks 50/50, 33.3/33.3/33.4, what ever breakdown. It wont work. Let whom ever do what they like and divvy up small tasks; dishes, cleaning, etc.

If you mean "physical stuff" a comfy, comfy, snuggly fleece blanket, comfortable pillow, and 4" memory foam pillow mattress topper. Rest and sleep are my top priorities when on the road.

djkeev Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:29 pm

FLEXIBILITY

not physically but emotionally, the ability to roll with the punches, be open to changes in plans at the last minute without falling apart.

Dave

newfisher Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:40 pm

An Lp fire pit

shadetreetim Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:58 pm

My keys to the Vanagon. Everything else is a bonus.

kamzcab86 Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:00 pm

david2676 wrote: My question is what do you have or found that is your favorite thing to take along.

If I have to limit it to just one thing: A really good sense of humor.

david2676 wrote: after that anything else that makes packing organizing storing ect easier ?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6253316#6253316 :wink:

dobryan Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:44 pm

12V fridge.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/EdgeStar-63-quart-Portable-Fridge-Freezer/3522222/product.html

joetiger Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:46 pm

newfisher wrote: An Lp fire pit

You and me both. After the thread here this week and the reviews of various brands on Amazon, I'm now convinced that I'm a lesser person if I don't get one of these ASAFP.

As far as items I own and have used, the Coleman Big Game XXL Flannel Sleeping Bag has been outstanding. It's gigantic, soft, and warm. Very warm. With this thing on the bottom bed on a cold night, I could sleep forever.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EH4TW4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At 13 lbs, it's not really made for backpacking and only fits in my Yak box after a good bit of exertion.

newfisher Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:48 pm

joetiger wrote: , I could sleep forever..

Not so fast....we will all get there eventually :)

joetiger Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:08 pm

newfisher wrote:

Not so fast....we will all get there eventually :)

With two kids, a beagle, and a wife in the Vanagon, forever = 6 hours. :D

Farfrumwork Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Edibles

8) :lol:

oh, and the 43qt fridge (but it lives in the van, so it's always there)

Howesight Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:50 pm

The most essential part of my home-entertainment system, Mrs. Howesight.

BlueGrasser Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:52 pm

You mean besides beer??? :D

I like to bring some music instruments: guitar, fiddle, sometimes a mandolin or bass.

EL31415 Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:19 pm

Aetas.

Abelabelabel Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:37 pm

djkeev wrote: FLEXIBILITY

not physically but emotionally, the ability to roll with the punches, be open to changes in plans at the last minute without falling apart.

Dave

Yes. Wow. Seems obvious. This is a must when traveling. The type of attitude we pack matters more than just about any other damn thing.

Well said!

greebly Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:01 pm

A weak minded assistant with a strong back, or a rich friend. How about a weak minded, rich assistant?

Vinzanto Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:02 pm

French press (or some other coffee maker)

vanagonjr Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:16 pm

david2676 wrote: I have yet to do an extended trip on my camper, I do have all the gear I take back packing so its not like I am going to be without something I need. My question is what do you have or found that is your favorite thing to take along.

Besides a big 5-day cooler with a block of ice and a stove...Being a back packer, it's the items I can't take back packing. :lol:

First: Folding camp chairs. OK, maybe obvious, but bring extra for friends dropping in on the site.
Second: Tarps, as in two tarps. I have a Kelty Carport; someday, I will have an ARB or Fiamma. If you have one attached to the van, still get another that you can put over a picnic table, or an area with camp chairs, which brings us to.....
Third: Quality adjustable tall aluminum tarp poles, by Eureka. This is the "Get these" article! From 6 to 9' http://store.eurekatent.com/poles Get two sets. A shorter set will fit under the rear bench, secured to the bottom of the seat/lid.
Fourth: Roll-up, or folding, table to cook on, prep food, or simply hold snacks.
Fifth: Mad Mat. See http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23287
Sixth: Maybe this should be #1 - packing cubes, by Eagle Creek, http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-cube-set/d/1322_cl_2541
Seventh: MountainSmith PackCubes
Eight: eight I forget what eight was for...