TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help! stuck bolt that holds upper control arm on my '89 Van Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
jonsonneborn Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:02 am

I am in the middle of a full suspension rebuild on my '89 Vanagon & I got everything out except the front driver's side Upper Control Arm. The long bolt (with the funny shaped washers ) does not want to come out:
Nut has been removed!
Bolt can be turned a 1/2 turn or more in either direction but then locks up.
The washers can be unseated (but the re-seat themselves).
Bolt seems to turn freely of bushings
When I apply leverage to tip it flexes the opposite side of the Upper control arm but head of bolt doesn't come out at all.
My only guess is that the bolt is bent?

Any suggestions?

I don't need to retain any of the parts as I have a spare upper control arm assembly with all hardware.

Thanks!

rubbachicken Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:13 am

put the nut back on the thread, and tap the bolt out, once you have the head of the bolt visible you can tap it through from that end with a pry bar
i've had a few stubborn bolts on the upper arms, and this is they way i got them out, without damaging the bolts.

jonsonneborn Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:10 am

rubbachicken wrote: put the nut back on the thread, and tap the bolt out, once you have the head of the bolt visible you can tap it through from that end with a pry bar.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I have pryed the bolt with a lot of leverage & the bolt head will not unseat from the washer/bushing; in 1 position the bolt doesn't budge at all. In another position it just flexes the whole control arm; I guess the head side is seized to something that's not allowing it to slide. Maybe the funny washer got turned & locked??

Thanks, Jon

rubbachicken Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:33 am

the eccentric washer cannot get turned to a position where it won't come out.
go buy some aerokroil, it's the best penetrating fluid i've found douse it down and go back to it
if you've killed the thread on the end of the bolt, keep tapping away at it anyway, if you can turn the bolt 1/2 a turn, then you should be able to work it loose.

insyncro Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:36 am

Prying sounds like you bent the bolt and it is now pinching.

This will not be fun to get out.

You may have to cut through the bushings and bolt on the inner sections, remove the arm and than get the bolt out of the chassis.

The lesson for others here is NO PRYING.
This bolt pushes straight out and is in very tight quarters to begin with.

jonsonneborn Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:14 pm

insyncro wrote: Prying sounds like you bent the bolt and it is now pinching.

So this is the 3rd (of 4 total) of these that we removed; the first 2 from our donor/parts van came out easily as did the 4th from the other side of this van. Pretty sure that bolt was bent prior to any prying although I have no idea how. At this point prying is all I've been able to figure out (not enough room for a hammer:).

Off to buy some Aerokroil.

Thanks for all the help!

vanagonjon Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:13 pm

You may need a very large pry bar. I use my 'digging' bar, the one that I use in the yard to remove large rocks in the ground. You will needs some sort of steel plate with a wooden backer to push against. It is possible to cut some steel rod that is under the diameter of the bolt to push the bolt through. You may need to cut progressively larger pieces of rod as you get the bolt moving, and / or insert cut sections of rod into the bolt hole as you go along. Leverage and lubrication are your friends in this tight spot.

John

Terry Kay Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Sawzall.

Terry Kay Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:37 pm

:arrow:

insyncro Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Terry Kay wrote: Sawzall.

Yup, I have a feeling that is going to be the fate of this bolt :wink:

jonsonneborn Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Terry Kay wrote: Sawzall.

Yup. My fear with the sawzall is it may be even more difficult to remove the remainder of the bent bolt without the rest attached. I do see a space between the bushing & washer where I could get my blade in on the bolt head side.

I checked 6 stores for Aero Kroil without luck. Bought some PB Penetrating Catalyst which has been applied liberally. ..

Terry Kay Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:53 pm

I am pretty sure you can PB Blast that bolt to the moon, & it ain't gonna budge.

Terry Kay Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:57 pm

I forgot--
You aren't goning to find Kroil on any store shelf.
Kano Labs only.

bluebus86 Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:06 pm

Terry Kay wrote: I forgot--
Kano Labs only.

Maybe any store don't carry kroil, but some do. Kano Labs is not the only source. It is even sold on Amazon.

Then again what is "goning"? :lol: :) :D :shock: 8) :P :P 8) :lol: :wink: :wink:

zak99B5 Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:09 pm

Mix up half and half ATF and acetone in a spray bottle.

Works better than PB Blaster et al.

crazyvwvanman Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:12 pm

All the cans I own and have owned came from retail stores. Right across the counter, no prescription needed or nutin. Must be a Kalif thing. Maybe CO has it too now?

Mark

bluebus86 wrote: Terry Kay wrote: I forgot--
Kano Labs only.

Maybe any store don't carry kroil, but some do. Kano Labs is not the only source. It is even sold on Amazon....

zak99B5 Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:18 pm

zak99B5 wrote: Mix up half and half ATF and acetone in a spray bottle.

Works better than PB Blaster et al. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/penetrating-oil-showdown.350800/

Terry Kay Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:56 pm

While you might think you can buy a gallon of Kroil locally I'm real sorry, not here.
It's mail order only, I buy it direct.

And while your waiting for the Siberian White Yak Sperm oil to loosen up that frozen bushing bolt, I'm all done and back on the road.
The sawzall takes no time at all.
If I got really pissed I would have burnt the skanky bushing outa there.

You guys do enjoy killing time ,surely probably are all bald from scratching out the hair follicles trying to figure out your next move.

insyncro Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:00 pm

insyncro wrote: You may have to cut through the bushings and bolt on the inner sections, remove the arm and than get the bolt out of the chassis.

Jake de Villiers Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:05 pm

jonsonneborn wrote:
I do see a space between the bushing & washer where I could get my blade in on the bolt head side.
Put your pickle fork in that gap and smack it with a BFH! Things will move...