TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 74 bay window campmobile rocker rust,corner rust Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
lil-jinx Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:13 am

Picked up this bus middle of Jan,so now I`m doing a little exploring looking for precious metal,there is quite a bit of it hidden under and around the not so precious rust.At some point in this busses history she had some body woork done and some panels replaced,so far i`v dug around the left rear corner and around the right rocker,there were newer panels welded in those places but it was just a cover up,the rocker had a new outter panel and the body panel in front of the wheel was replaced.I removeed the rocker panel,which was in very good condition,and started cutting out the inner and middle rockers.her are a few pic of what i`m left with. I plan to repair this with diy panels.

Tcash Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:18 am

Klassic Fab

Body Repair Panels?

I would recommend this book. I don't think there is a panel he does not touch.
Volkswagen Bay Transporter Restoration Manual

Good Luck
Tcash

jtauxe Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:39 pm

http://www.alanhschofield.com/

lil-jinx Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:22 am

Ordered the book from amason,was thinking of getting it,and your sugestion made up my mine,thanks.
Went onto the busdepot site and looked at their out riggers and jack points,don't know if I will get the complete jack points or get the out riggers and jack points separate.Are there any issues with those parts from BD?
So today I'm off to the garage to remove the transmission,engine is already out,trans is leaking at the front and I want to mate the engine and trans to do a compression test,have not had the engine running yet PO said it ran ok when he parked it 4 years ago,we'll see.
Looked at the AH Schofield parts, kind of costly and don't know about shipping from GB,

lil-jinx Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:03 pm

Got the book,very heplful.
I'v been digging around the right rear corner,removed the corner patch panel and was pleasantly supprised,lot's of OG metal left,so I have something to work with,and the corner panel is reusable.will have to repair the rear skirt.
PO installed corner.

Patch removed,metal under the patch was still shiny from PO's grinding.

Tray was not welded to thr corner,which made it easier to remove.

The apron and D pillar need a little repair.

lil-jinx Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:35 pm

A few more pictures'

lil-jinx Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:05 pm

Working away on the left corner,made some replacement parts.

lil-jinx Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:44 am

Put the rear panel on yesterday after many hours of cutting and fitting.look close and you will see how poorly the light lines up.So off it comes today.

secretsubmariner Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:39 am

Very nicely done! Good for you !

lil-jinx Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:55 am

Making a little progress on Ethel,got the left corner and rear apron in,repaired the floor of the gas tank compartment,now onto the right side corner,arch and the rockers.I picked up the rear arch panels and jack points from bus depot and the left corner from concept 1.I'v cut away the rusted sections from the corner and the arch,not sure how much I should remove to fit the new panels.
I'v moved on to repairing the rocker,made an inner rocker from 18 gage sheet and started cutting out the bad.

lil-jinx Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:05 pm

corner and arch pics

lil-jinx Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Got the rocker installed and working at the c-pillar,fitting the panel at the front of the rear arch.

lil-jinx Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:44 pm

Finished the right side c pillar and got the arch panel welded in,cut some rust from bottom of door and patched it.now onto the rear of the arch and rear corner.

lil-jinx Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:58 am

Repaired the rear of the rear arch,made and welded in a patch for the inner section and welded in the arch panel,Now moving on to the corner,decided to cut out most of the corner,original was rusted at the return where it meets the arch,bent and installed a return and welded it to the arch before welding in the arch.I did not weld the arch to the bottom of the inner arch,I will do that after I get the corner fitted.

lil-jinx Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:28 pm

Still hacking away at Ethel.
Painted the engine compartment

Left corner in and left rear arch.

Removed front arch and b-pillar bulkhead

Replaced lower b pillar with a section from the parts bus[marty ] and patched the bulkhead

a pillar patch

Trial fit the arch

lil-jinx Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:35 pm

double post

whatdoesthisbuttondo? Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:17 pm

Wow, that's a lot of work, good job! Is that garage heated for work in those eastern winters?

lil-jinx Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:41 pm

Got an oil furnace in the garage but no insulation,but it is ok when it is not too cold,and windy,like -20.
I enjoy playing at it,so it's not really work.

Sloride Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:32 pm

Well done. Do you have any more pictures of how you tackled the area around the mystery hole on the passenger rear? I am about to tackle the same job on my 72.

lil-jinx Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:23 am

I don't have any pic of the right side d pillar,I did replace the corner which made access easier plus I replaced the apron in 3 sections.there are some pic up top of what I did on the left side.
That' is a nice looking bus you have,
Good luck drive safely .
Nelson