TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need new rear Tires Page: 1, 2  Next
jaybug Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:09 pm

Need new rear tires for my Baja I have been running Yokohama super digger III 33x10.50R15 they don't come with much tread depth and they're soft rubber and are not DOT, need to do more ground towing looking for a better tire that's close to my Yokohama, you can go crazy looking for tires I decided on B.F. Goodrich mud terrain T/A KM2 33x10.50R15 - Walmart $214.00 EA.

dustymojave Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:37 pm

I suggest something more of an all terrain tread. They are tough to get, because they only mold them when they have enough standing orders for them, but the BFG 33x9.50 or 10.50 KO would probably hold up better than the KM2s.

Which of your cars are you seeking tires for? The Sand Rover or the Baja?

jaybug Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi Richard how you been. the tire's are for my Baja you said something more all terrain I thought thats what I picked out this tread is B.F. Goodrich lasted tread design.

The BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 (KM for Key feature: Mud traction and 2 identifying it as BFGoodrich's 2nd generation KM tire) is an Off-Road Maximum Traction tire developed for off-roaders driving full-sized, lifted trucks that participate in rock climbing and/or other challenging off-road driving. The Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 is designed from the mud up to overcome almost any obstacle in its path by combining more traction and mud-clearing ability than its predecessor with a smoother ride and less road noise than normally expected from an aggressive tire.
The Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 molds an off-road tread compound into a Krawler T/A KX-inspired symmetric design that features deep, self-cleaning independent tread blocks and linear transverse flex zones that provide the elasticity needed to allow the tire to conform to off-road obstacles when aired-down and driven at low speeds.

KrAzY-BaJa Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:12 pm

km2 overall great tires

or the Bfg All t/a has gottin a redesign the KO2
if you can wait they will be available hopefully as soon as July of this year.

I like the km2 better in the desert (gravel dirt ect)

Brian Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Km2 look great. I went to discount to try them out and they're soft. They won't wear well, but the new ones look awesome.

InkyLewis Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:16 am

The goodyear duratracks work good also. The mud tarrains are 52 lbs per tire and the dura tracks are 49 lbs per tire.

jaybug Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:48 am

Hi InkyLewis, this Mud Terrain is 49.65 lbs -

Product Information:
Name: BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
Part #: 08012
Size: 33/10.50R15
Weight: 49.65

InkyLewis Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Ahh, I didn't catch the part where they were only 10.5 wide.

vdub411 Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:08 pm

Check out Cooper STT tires. I run them on everything and love them. They are quiet but still aggressive.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-STT.aspx

takotruckin Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:29 am

KrAzY-BaJa wrote: km2 overall great tires

or the Bfg All t/a has gottin a redesign the KO2
if you can wait they will be available hopefully as soon as July of this year.

I like the km2 better in the desert (gravel dirt ect)

I would be surprised if the KO2 is released for 15"s, its a dying size.
Although I did find a post saying that they would be out in October..

vdub411 wrote: Check out Cooper STT tires. I run them on everything and love them. They are quiet but still aggressive.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-STT.aspx

I put a set on the rear of my baja last year and have been extremely happy with them so far.

They work just fine in mud, Just need to spin them a little :lol:

dustymojave Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Eastern Idaho Gumbo! :)

They are available in 31x10.50, 32x11.50, and 33x12.50 in 15in rim size. the 12.50s are pretty large for Jay's 5-1600 type Baja. They would be fine on a Class5 Open like a Crumco with bigger suspension. Most 5-1600 racers use 31x10.50s or Yoko 33 x 9.50.

My son (3gtech) has a close friend who has a Ranger with 33x10.50 BFG KO tires. He's talking about getting new tires soon. the used ones may get replaced before they are completely worn out. They might be available before long. They have a Load Range C casing and are far stiffer and heavier than Yokohama Super Digger III

race-desert Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:05 pm

well they do not make the 33-10.50 in the mud....
Jay i went from the 33 superdiggers to the bfg AT/ko's in 33-10.50 i love them for all around use!

D Rock Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:10 pm

My world revolves around my wallet...and I love a GREAT deal.

I'd check Craigslist...I found a deal on "nearly new" tires from a tire shop on CL... 2-31x10.50x15 rear Goodyears and 2 185x65x15 Goodyear fronts for $220 installed. I'm just sayin, I try to keeps it cheep...

jcmyers Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:11 pm

found a pair of 32 r15 11.5 KM2 on CL, paid $175 for the pair /w over 80% tread, practically new, 3 months ago. Excellent tires!

day after i got em

and the day after that

jaybug Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:28 am

My tires came a week early there was a packing slip in the Walmart papers shipped from American Tire Distributors out of Los Vegas using one of warehouse in Santa Fe Springs Calif. They sure look big next to my 31 inch Buggy Tires.

waterman7474 Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:10 am

I hate to drag up an old thread but this is relevant to my needs right now and my area.

I have a 65 that is being renovated (1776 build, irs conversion, new front end, etc) and almost done and I need to get rear tires. I have been a fan of bfg t/a ko's since the 90s and have had at least 9 sets on various vehicles over the years, mostly in TX. Since moving out here, I still love them out here in the rocks and think they work very well but my only problem was when driven hard in the sharp rocks out here, they chunked pretty badly, like whole lugs gone. I have just put the new KO2s on my truck and hear that they are better in this regard but don't plan on driving this new truck too roughly out there....thats why i'm doing the bug....

Having said that, the purpose for this renovation is to make a very reliable go anywhere rig where I can take the fam out just about anywhere (so nevada, so cal, ut mountains, occasional dune trip) and to that, I'm very concerned about puncture resistance (I will have a roof rack spare). It will spend 95% of its life off-road (unless being towed) so street wear is of little concern.
Priorities:
1-durability/puncture resistance in sharp rocks
2-loose desert traction (particularly sandy conditions!)

While price isn't a huge concern, I'm not terribly interested in some of the big money swamper tsi or Krawler.

I WAS leaning toward the KM2 mud terrains but I am seeing reports that they may not actually be that great in the really loose stuff. I guess I could go with the KO2 but I still have concerns with the chunking.
I was seriously considering the Dick Cepek Crusher as I read that they have better than average desert traction and durability but are supposedly excellent in the sand. I just can't find hardly anyone that has them with a real use opinion.

Those of you that are down here in this area that might be kind of hard on your tires or in areas that are particularly hard on tires, what do yall recommend?

Do any of you in this thread have a long term report on the KM2?

flashho Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:22 am

My only experience is with KM2 s driving off road here in Baja and they are great. They seem to be the number one choice down here with Yok s being a close second. I ran 33s and they would always pull you thru the loose stuff and had great traction. I am now running 30s and while not as great in the silt, they they still work fine. On the prerunner I use Kumhos which are extremely tuff and I wish they made a tire similar to the km2

waterman7474 Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:19 am

flashho wrote: My only experience is with KM2 s driving off road here in Baja and they are great. They seem to be the number one choice down here with Yok s being a close second. I ran 33s and they would always pull you thru the loose stuff and had great traction. I am now running 30s and while not as great in the silt, they they still work fine. On the prerunner I use Kumhos which are extremely tuff and I wish they made a tire similar to the km2

Thanks for the feedback. Any concerns on the sand (if silt doesn't really qualify?)

Which Yokahamas in particular?

And which Kumhos? I can't seem to find too many positive reviews on either but I think the are mostly from guys who try and run them on the street as well.

chawjubs Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:02 am

newb question.

Any issue running mud terrain tires this size with a 1500 from a weight/diameter perspective? My tires are pretty bald at the moment but rear are 31 x 10.50 and the relatively stock baja seems to drive fine.

Just curious as to anyones advice on weight vs diameter vs power needed to keep it from feeling sluggish/straining.

petrol punk Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:31 am

I have 33x10.50-15 KM2s on my 4x4 Tacoma and so far they are great. Lots of grip and go where my KOs wouldn't. So far no issues with tearing them up in the rocky desert we have here in Vegas