TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How often to change Tranny fluid?
Lunabus Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi,

I have a 1986 manual transmission weekender.

How often should I replace the transmission fluid and what is the best quality fluid to buy?

Thanks!!

GB

riceye Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:59 pm

The search will set you free...

11 page discussion on gear oils

From what I have gathered, three years or 50,000 miles is a good plan.

That said, here is what I used most recently. Swepco 201 would be another good choice.

[/img]

I'm sure others will add opinions!

Ahwahnee Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:07 pm

I use Redline MT90. Available on Amazon and other fine stores.

In my opinion, one can over-think this -- there are many good choices that will be fine for most driving habits. The 3-year/50K interval seems about right.

Merian Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:18 pm

when was it last changed?

if unknown, put any decent oil in that meets the spec. in your owner's manual; run it for 500 miles & repeat but for 1,400 miles (or 1 year if low miles/year)

then put in Swepco and run it for 3 years

Lunabus Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies and link, I was looking for the tranny oil thread...

Is there an advantage thats worth the effort to track down some of this exotic tranny oil like Swepco over just going to the local guy who specializes in Vanagons and having him put in what his German OEM suggestion and habit has him doing?

I had Redline in there, been about 5 years now, so change is desperate...

kustomizingkid Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:13 pm

I am also a fan of doing multiple short interval flushes until the oil comes out looking good. The price of a trans rebuild makes Swepco/Amsoil/Redline look cheap.

djkeev Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:14 pm

Hmmm...... Oil discussion.... Please use the dedicated thread to continue with any questions or recommendations.
Rules are rules kids!

Thanks for understanding.
Dave