TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Newbie Daily Driver
GuitarGuy Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:02 am

I'm new to the whole VW thing (and classic car, really) and looking for a daily driver for my guitar store. I've found a nice '77 bay with significant work done in 2010 and 2014, with receipts, and it is looking pretty good to me!

Question: What would you do, if anything, to a daily driver (only 3 mile commute, I suspect 4-6k mi/yr)? I'm thinking Gilmore A/C and would take suggestions on heat upgrades. Would anyone upgrade to hydraulic lifters, or make another change which could be considered an increase in reliability (oil system, maybe)? Suggestions on a tool and parts list to keep in the bus, which I've quickly discovered is a good idea, would be appreciated too! Thanks everyone!

TomWesty Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:13 am

Welcome! I don't know much about late bays, so I'll leave the recommendations to those who do. My bus and my guitars are my main interests, so nice to have another music type on here.

aeromech Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:25 am

I think you should post several pictures and include a breakdown of what was already done in the past. Then we can comment better[/quote]

GuitarGuy Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:05 am

http://classiccars.com/listings/view/629736/1977-v...rnia-92651

Many Small parts, here are items above $100:

Oil Cooler
Distributor Rotor
Push rod tube seals leaking
Removed rocker arms
Replaced push rods
Replaced push rod tube seals
Adjusted valves
Exhaust
Resealed Manifold
Replaced Catalytic conv and muffler
Reseal Exhaust system
Plugs/points and condenser/fuel filter
Replaced bad computer to fix one cylinder compression
Ignition condensor

New Drive Axle assembly (x 2)
Complete clutch kit
New Exhaust elbow
Upper Ball Joints
Full engine gasket kit
Pushrod tube
EGR Filler tank
Ruibullt type 4 engine
Heads (x 2)

jtauxe Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:19 am

Forget the A/C. It will be a lot of trouble, and will be a disappointment, and you have a short commute anyway.

Also forget the "upgrade" to hydraulic lifters. They do not improve reliability. Just adjust your valves every oil change, and you are fine. Besides, a change to hydraulic lifters also requires a corresponding change to the cam shaft, which means cracking the bottom end open and all that. Very expensive operation for a perhaps misplaced desire for hydraulics. They are overrated.

As for tools and spare parts: That's worth paying attention to. There are some threads on lists of what to have and to travel with.

Welcome, and good luck!

Brian Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:29 am

Welcome!

And I too would ditch your thoughts of "upgrades" right off the bat and learn the stock system, and then get into minor improvements.

That '77 looks nice minus that weird interior.

Wildthings Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:38 am

A well rebuilt Type 4 engine is pretty reliable so no upgrades are needed. I would want to see the receipt for the engine build myself. They are asking a premium price for this van (the highest I have seen for a non full camper) and you don't want an engine that has been thrown together from a bunch of somewhat serviceable used parts.

Be careful of buying a freshly painted turd. You can tell they cheaped out in several places like by not redoing the padding for the driver's seat before having a new cover installed, the cracked steering wheel, and the missing lense for the brake indicator light.

aeromech Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:52 am

I like it and think you should buy it but you do need to fine line the "engine rebuild" thing. There's a big difference in what some people think is a rebuild and what others think. All in all I like it and think you would be happy with this bus. The time to negotiate fixing a few things like the brake indicator light is "before" you pay for it. Minor details though. Have you test driven it? You need an experienced bus driver to have a test drive.

GuitarGuy Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:54 am

I know, funky interior that probably doesn't please the purists! I'm a guitar store, though, and thought it looked fun! I really hate the heat, though. Am I really going to get talked out of the A/C? Is it THAT ineffective and problematic? I've read good things about Gilmore retros, and one of my favorite guitarists is David Gilmour, albeit different spelling. Electric ignition upgrade thoughts?

Also, I've seen Campmobile scripts on eBay. Thinking having someone take of the "C" for the back. The amp mobile ;)

aeromech Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:57 am

You need to send a pm to: skills@eurocarsplus

He's in CT too

aeromech Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:01 am

My suggestion is to let the a/c thing go for now. If you have the desire and money a couple years from now then is the time to do it.

Wildthings Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:23 am

A gas heater (very common in Canada) will give you the best heat out there, you will be the envy of all the water cooled guys out there who have to wait for their windows to defrost on cold mornings.

Tcash Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:36 am

Welcome to TheSamba!

Tcash wrote: Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.