TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 68 baja Page: 1, 2  Next
shano63 Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:34 pm

Much to my wife's dismay, I just picked this up last saturday from another samba member. :D 68 body on a 76 pan. Needs some work. Wiring is hacked, already ordered a new loom. Engine runs, but needs some work. Have some ideas in my head. This will be a painfully slow build, too many other projects going on. Started ripping out the old wiring today. Here are a couple of pics..

plotch Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:09 pm

Nice find and good luck.

Mal evolent Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:38 am

Quote: This will be a painfully slow build, too many other projects going on.

me too. I decided to focus on the most practical project first and work my way back to the less practical. I can theoretically drive the Baja to work, so it's the most practical project.

Brian Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:44 am

That thing looks perfectly fine as it sits. Minus the front camber problem you have going on.

shano63 Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks guys. There was some front end work done, needs an alignment. Want to get it rewired, the engine up to snuff and some cosmetic stuff for now. I'd like to get it on the road by the summer time, but I doubt it. Pickup needs brakes, thats more important than the baja.

mikec4193 Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:31 am

Hey Shano63

Congrats on the purchase of your BAJA beetle...love the shot with the Jeep being used as a tow vehicle...I am a fan of both of those motor vehicles (former Willys Jeep owner here).....looks like you gotta great start on one here...

I am think I am about 2 hours North of you....we still have snow on the ground here...

MikeC

shano63 Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks Mike! Jeep tows it really well. Hit 70 a few times without realizing it. Just about done with snow from now on...

shano63 Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Some very slow progress today. Ripped out all the old wiring and ran the main loom. After i fished it through out the back, I realized I put the body grommet under the back seat on backwards. Stupid. Also I saw that there is no oil pressure sensor? Is it somewhere else I don't know about??

Brian Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:15 pm

you probably have a type 3 case, the oil senders were in the oil coolers.

shano63 Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:33 pm

Interesting..I have to pull the engine anyhoo, I'll take a peek...Thanks for the info Brian

dustymojave Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:09 pm

The engine is assembled with an upright shroud. It won't have the Type 3 sender. If it has a 2-stud blockoff plate on the lower right side of the case beside the oil pump, it's a T3 case.

So now, you would need to drill and tap the boss where most VW engines have the sender for 18npt. So you need to keep shrapnel out of the oil passages when you drill and tap it.

Brian Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:19 pm

I would crack the case for that. Shrapnel going through the passages and getting stuck in the crank and blocking the oil, sounds bad man. Or, I think you can use a t3 oil sender.

shano63 Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Ugh...nothing's easy. Thanks for the replies..

shano63 Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:36 pm

I told you this would be painfully slow. The only thing I've done was buy a deck lid for it last year. I just put it on today and I want to cut it but I'd like to see some others. There aren't many in the gallery unless I'm searching wrong. Did any of you out there cut yours? I'd like to get some ideas.

shano63 Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:45 am

Well, I went through all 63 pages of show off your baja. I think I'm just gonna cut it straight across. It also got me inspired to tinker with it. Messed with the wiring a little more today just before it started raining.

Q-Dog Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:08 pm

is that a '67 deck lid?

dustymojave Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:06 pm

Close, but it;s a 68 or 69 with the script and the squared bottom. '67 is the last year of the round bottom engine lid. I have several fiberglass lids. Here in the west, they're dirt cheap. I'd much rather use one of them than cut a straight stock one.

shano63 Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:21 pm

Man, can't even escape the purists in the baja section. I picked it up for $10 at a swap earlier this year. Considering the front and the back of the car have been loped off, I didn't think I'd offend anyone by cutting the deck lid.

STOICH Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:07 pm

that friends... is a 67 only decklid - damned purists :P

DWP Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:40 am

Here something to consider before you cut. Do not just measure from the top. Lets say 12" and cut. you will end up with a half moon. Measure parallel with the ground or rear bumper. This is because of the arc and angle of the hood.
If you put some tape on it and stand back you will see what i am talking about.
DWP