TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Powdercoat or rollon truck bed liner on custom hitch/bumper? Page: 1, 2  Next
vanis13 Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Powdercoat or roll on truck bed liner on custom hitch/bumper?

So the quote is $150 for the hitch and bumper to powder coat. Includes all prep which is nice buts its probably more than the materials I have into the assembly.

Seems like truck bed liner is used successfully for the lower part of the van by many so why not the hitch?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Andrew

djkeev Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:49 pm

Powder coat has moved itself into the coating of choice for the 21st Century.

Be this good or be this bad? It is totally your choice to decide.

I've yet to embrace the process preferring to stick with quality paints that have been PROPERLY applied on a properly prepared surface.
In my book, a quality Single Stage 2 Part Auto Paint is just as good if not better than powder coat.

Powder coat tends to be hard and chips fairly easily, once chipped..... Moisture gets in and lifts the powder coat off in sheets.
With paint, just touch it up, yearly maintenance.

But this is just me voicing MY opinion.

Nothing at all wrong with a tough bed liner product if applied correctly. Most have texture which will collect dirt.

Only You know what to do.
The key to any product is to follow directions and properly prepare the surface.

Dave

ragnarhairybreeks Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi,

I'm at the same situation, aluminum bumper build pretty well ready for paint. I'm leaning to bedliner for a couple of reasons:

Might provide a bit of a non slip surface on the top of the bumper ( stepping on the bumper)

Might be easier to touch up the inevitable scrapes and scratches

Don't need to surface finish bumper as much.

Hope you'll let us know your choice and show some pics,

Cheers

Alistair

vanis13 Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:59 pm

will do. you post pics/decision too. If I had alum, i might not even paint it.

BTW - custom bumper/hitch for my situation may not be completely accurate.

I used the word "custom" to indicate it was not OEM.

I have a gowesty steel bumper and fabricating the hitch portion (which is avail from them). My work may require that the bumper also gets new paint. FWIW, the GW paint has some texture so standing on it works well.

newfisher Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:08 pm

Here at our body shop we paint, spray truck bedliner using LineX product and also send out raw parts for powdercoat. In my experience, bedliner on a bumper isnt a good idea unless you never hit it against anything. The product can separate from the metal and create a pocket for moisture and bubble. If powdercoated or painted, it will most likely dent or worst case dent and chip. At this point you can touch it up vs. having the area repaired at the bedliner dealer. I would also pass on diy roll on stuff for outdoor bumper abuse. If you like the GoWesty powder coat, contact them about refinishing what you have?

highsierra Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:12 pm

My experience with powder coating (bicycle frames and car parts) is that it adds dimension which could cause problems for your mounting hardware as well as inside the hitch receiver. Also, I find that powder coating can chip off over time in high use/stress areas. Bedliner also would add dimension but it'd be more controllable, more durable over time and easy to touch up. YMMV

Zeitgeist 13 Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:34 pm

I love the flexibility of the brush on bedliner I've been using on an off brand project lately. It's sets up tough as nails, and really hides imperfections exceptionally well. Powder coating seems perfect for smooth objects that won't see repeated contact or road debris, but the bedliner just takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' from my experience.

ragnarhairybreeks Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Im leaning towards the brush on bedliner. as the bumper is made of aluminum I don't have the rust concerns.
A lot of the stuff we make at work (aluminum) is powder coated and yes we do have to make allowances for the few thou of paint build up. Those parts get the royal Powdercoating experience... Washing, blasting, multiple coats of powder etc. but they go out to sea and I nver see them again :)

Zeitgeist's comment about the thick brush on hiding imperfections is music to my ears.

Alistair

Phishman068 Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:16 pm

Upol Raptor spray on bedliner.
You can do it yourself, it touches up nicely, doesn't fade, and is without a doubt a level above the normal "Roll On" crap.
I've put it on a few bumpers, it works.

vanis13 Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:27 pm

U-pol raptor seems to be about $120/gal (may include spray gun) like all of these, may be sprayed, rolled or brushed.

http://www.u-pol.co.uk/product-cat/250/raptor.htm

if roll-on which would you chose and why?

Epoxy/rubber @ $80/gal

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-...-liner-kit

or Polymer @ $40/gal
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/coatings/truck-bed-coating

Zeitgeist 13 Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:04 pm

I fully expect to be drawn and quartered for this, but my current project has absolutely no budget for name brands, so I've been required to search far and wide for out of the box solutions. I opted for this stuff called Iron Armor, which is found at Harbor Freight (gasp, grab the torches!). Turns out that it's made in the US, and I'm currently on my second 1 gal can of it over the last year and a half @ ~$45/can. Without a doubt there are better solutions for more money on the market, but I simply can't complain about the performance for the price.

insyncro Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:44 pm

Monstaliner

Terry Kay Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:12 pm

Imron

WLD*WSTY Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:35 pm

Monstaliner

Terry Kay Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:31 am

U-Pol Raptor

vanis13 Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:51 am

Terry Kay wrote: Imron

Terry Kay wrote: U-Pol Raptor

Make up your mind ;-)

options or does entry #2 supersede entry #1 and if so why?

dkoesyncro Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:52 am

monstaliner

Terry Kay Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:58 am

There is more than one answer.
The Industrial Imron is tough , and very repairable.

The U-Pol Raptor is really tough, and kinda repairable, but not as easy to overcoat.

I could toss in Delthane, but then I'd be confusing you guys.

Used them both, repaired them both.
6 of one, half a dozen of another--name your poison & get it done.

MarkWard Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:04 am

When I fabricated my custom hitch, I had originally planned to just paint it with a rattle can. It came out so nice, I decided to treat it to a powder coat job instead.

Terry Kay Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:24 am

Nothing wrong with powder coating when it's first applied.

However, if it starts chipping , and due to the fact that there is zero primer under it, it will rust under the top coat beyond the chips-- the rust will travel under the surface real easy.

Last winter I had the displeasure of grinding the entire hood, fender's , cab, & frame of a Terex 30 yard off road dump truck--and if you have no idea what a Terex off road site dump truck is--well it's as big as most folks home.
It was powdercoated from the factory, started chipping & rusting under the top coat--and was hell to remove to get a coat of zinc chromate on it, and refinish in Imron.

Look at the fenders, the top of the hood, cowl you can't see , nor the top of the cab---the garbage powercoat was rusting off the same way as the fenders.--
Phooey.

Urethane paint is the way to go, is very rock mark proof--oops I missed the receiver, forgiving, and easily repairable.

You guys can use what you want, but being down the crap powder coat refinishing mode more than once--I'd side step this thought.
It is truely garbage.