TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can a Subaru swap cause transmission leak?
peterpetter Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:23 am

I have a 87' automatic westy with kennedy eng adapter with sub ej22. I had no leaks in my tranny and now i do. I got the transmission rebuilt and it lasted less then a week until transmission fluid was in the gear oil. The transmission place is blaming the subaru engine because it has to high of rpms for the tranny. The van ran fine for years before. Any common subaru swap tranny problems? Is there any truth to what they are saying about rpms being to high?

MarkWard Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:31 am

I call BS on the shop that did the trans work. The transmission does not know what engine it is bolted to. If you blew out the ring and pinion or burned up the clutch packs maybe you could blame the extra power. The back to back seals are along for the ride.

Best bet is to have another proper shop fix yours and then try to get your money back after it is working properly. You don't want the shop that f'd it up working on it for free a second time. They will care even less. The more times they need to go in to it for free, the quality will suffer exponentially.

Sorry about your luck.

gears Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:09 am

^^ This. The shop is BSing you big time.

Waldi Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:37 am

peterpetter wrote: I have a 87' automatic westy with kennedy eng adapter with sub ej22. I had no leaks in my tranny and now i do. I got the transmission rebuilt and it lasted less then a week until transmission fluid was in the gear oil. The transmission place is blaming the subaru engine because it has to high of rpms for the tranny. The van ran fine for years before. Any common subaru swap tranny problems? Is there any truth to what they are saying about rpms being to high?

There are known problem with leaking gearboxes and high rev engines.
But i know only about non automatic gearboxes.
If there is too much oil inside, or the air whole bloked.

BlueNorthWesty Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:15 am

I just finished putting a 2.5L Subaru engine into an '84 auto westy. I drove it for a while with the old transmission and then got it rebuilt by a shop that knows what they are doing. Now everything is solid and shifting is perfect.

There are a lot of things that can be done wrong during a rebuild and some specialized VW tools are required that maybe your shop didn't have. I don't buy the 'high revs' argument unless you're racing. If you drive as you did before the engine conversion the revs are the same (in my opinion).

geodude Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:25 am

^^Exactly^^

Unless you are now driving 100mph all the time or downshifting and revving it up to 6000 rpm this should not be an issue of rpm. The stock engine is doing 4000 rpm on the highway to begin with and its doing 4000 rpm now at the same speed.

20.6N87.0W Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:04 pm

BlueNorthWesty wrote: I just finished putting a 2.5L Subaru engine into an '84 auto westy. I drove it for a while with the old transmission and then got it rebuilt by a shop that knows what they are doing. Now everything is solid and shifting is perfect.

There are a lot of things that can be done wrong during a rebuild and some specialized VW tools are required that maybe your shop didn't have. I don't buy the 'high revs' argument unless you're racing. If you drive as you did before the engine conversion the revs are the same (in my opinion).

What shop did you use in YYC? Your Westy work is very well done. Good job!

Wildthings Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:09 pm

peterpetter wrote: I have a 87' automatic westy with kennedy eng adapter with sub ej22. I had no leaks in my tranny and now i do. I got the transmission rebuilt and it lasted less then a week until transmission fluid was in the gear oil. The transmission place is blaming the subaru engine because it has to high of rpms for the tranny. The van ran fine for years before. Any common subaru swap tranny problems? Is there any truth to what they are saying about rpms being to high?

There are three different seals that separate the ATF from the gear oil. Two are pretty easy to mess up. I had a shop make me a driver for the governor shaft seal as it was hard to get a perfect seal install just driving it in with a deep socket. The inner pinion seal is also a bit difficult to get right. On my transaxle the PO damaged the little flat spring check valve hidden under the seal which took out the seal not very long after I acquired the used final drive section. I suspect a lot of rebuilders don't change either of these seal when they do a rebuild.

FWIW I now have about 100K miles on my automatic since it has been coupled with my 2.2 Subaru. Just pulled the pan, cleaned the filter, and gave it some new ATF nothing scary to be seen.

jimf909 Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:39 pm

Random 5+ year bump of the day...

20.6N87.0W wrote: BlueNorthWesty wrote: I just finished putting a 2.5L Subaru engine into an '84 auto westy. I drove it for a while with the old transmission and then got it rebuilt by a shop that knows what they are doing. Now everything is solid and shifting is perfect.

What shop did you use in YYC? Your Westy work is very well done. Good job!