TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1967 Deadhead Bus "Bessie" Resurrection Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Ian Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:18 pm

Hey everyone, this is the start of a resurrection thread. My friend Scramble Campbell has brought the Deadhead Bus to Colorado. It used to belong to a guy named "Chicken", but in about 1998 I think, he sold it to Scramble. This Bus has been to over 100 Dead shows and had it's own pass for Furthur tour. I'll dig up some pics of it from the past, but Scramble has a whole scrapbook with all the newspaper clippings and articles that have pictures of it. Anyway, we're bringing it back to life. In a little while it will be over at my shop to get all the mechanicals gone through so that it will be a driver again. Engine turns over by hand with very little endplay, so that's a good start. We will be needing some parts so if anyone can contribute to making this thing whole again it would be much appreciated. The painting is getting reScrambled so the colors will be vibrant. Words can only do so much, check out the pictures and I hope it brings a smile to your face as much as it does mine. Peace ya'll.

Ian Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:23 pm

There's Chicken!

Arlo Guthrie signed it

Me, my homie Russell, and his wife Amanda

Original VW Safari's

Ian Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:25 pm

ezcamper Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:34 pm

wow! I bet a lot of children have been conceived in that thing.

Ian Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Vintage pics:

Pinetops Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:44 pm

I love it! So are you going to preserve the paint and touch it up where needed?

Ian Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:45 pm

stuco wrote: I love it! So are you going to preserve the paint and touch it up where needed?

Yeah, Scramble has been just painting right over what is there with new vibrant colors. He added the Phoenix to the front nose skull. You can see how there's some changes in the pictures.

far rider Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Wow, if that bus could talk. Good luck with it!

StockNazi Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:37 pm

Cool old Infinity's End , Charlotte, NC sticker. Used to go there all the time in the 90's.

Malokin Martin Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Very cool. It would be a challenge to repaint those without the flaking paint wanting to blast off with a pressure washer. Props on keeping it how it was.

Manfred58sc Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Reality is what you can get away with...Carlos Casteneda . Colorado IS "head" central. I love this state!

cherise1967 Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:54 pm

Very nice..!! please keep the thread updated!

RPGreg2600 Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:38 pm

That thing is sweet!

bubblehead Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:08 pm

I bet the smell of patchouli and old grill cheese sandwiches just takes your breath away :) Pretty cool old bus though. Some funny stickers; I like the fillabong and the handicap/wheelchair guy with a bong :lol: Damn, takes me back a few decades. Might've walked right by this bus in a parking lot once upon a time.

Brian Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:49 am

freakin' dead heads. that thing is rad.

UZI Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:44 am

will it be making the trip to santa clara and chicago?

tisius Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:37 am

So cool!
Keep the history going and the bus rockin'

curtis4085 Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:18 am

Can't wait to see that cruising the roads here in CO!! Very cool

DubStyle Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:25 am

Definitely cool! Maybe you can wash it by hand and seal it all with a clear coat to preserve it? I'd take it to the local police department to have a dog go through it. You don't want to get stopped and go to jail for 40 year old pot. :P :lol:

curtis4085 Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:30 am

DubStyle wrote: Definitely cool! Maybe you can wash it by hand and seal it all with a clear coat to preserve it? I'd take it to the local police department to have a dog go through it. You don't want to get stopped and go to jail for 40 year old pot. :P :lol:

Pot is legal here in Colorado.