TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The Kommander Trug Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi everyone.
I've been around VWs for a few years and have built several, mostly stock bugs and busses. This time I wanted to do something a little more artistic, to try my hand at fabricating something interesting.

The plan has been to build what I call "The Kommander Trug" - a beetle truck with KDF Type 82e features but roofless with a pickup box and a low and sleek windshield. I do love volksrods (which was the original plan), but where I live the police are all over cars without fenders - and I plan to drive this one a lot. It has to be solid, functional, and safe.

Here are some shots of the initial destruction. I started with a '69 bug body (in horrible shape, unfortunately).

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:17 pm

I mounted it onto a crappy pan I have (not the one I'll be using). I closed in the top of the doors and the back of the bug. The passenger door was pretty caved in. I had to do a ton of work to make it right as I stretched the metal badly with my welder :oops: Lots of heating with a plumber's torch and cooling with a wet rag and I managed to fix it up again.

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:28 pm

I wanted the longer hood and I couldn't bring myself to rob one off of one of my other bugs. I had a '64 hood that I was going to throw away as it was destroyed. I cut the bottom section off of it and welded it to the '69 hood (I later welded up the trim holes and the vent at the top of the hood. I plan for the hood to open in reverse. The front. apron was pretty pooched, so I rebuilt it and modded it for the hood to pivot

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:32 pm

A shot of the top of the doors

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:36 pm

Apron repaired and modified. I would normally opt for an earlier style apron, but its not going to latch there anyway when it is a flip hood.

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:52 pm

I was going for an old Fordish style for the box. I will give credit where credit is do here. Much of the inspiration for this box design was 67utahrat's (on the Volksrod site) awesome Volksrod.

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:54 pm

I grafted a section in from a Caddy tailgate I bought for $50 from a buddy. He was pretty sad to hear that I planned to chop it up!

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:05 pm

Sheet metal work begins on the box. I have to say, by this point I was ready to ditch my cheapo crappy welder! I finally broke down and bought a nice Lincoln 140 - which has made my life much easier! (look mom! No more warped panels!)

The apron (and the tailgate) is designed to be easily removed to slide the engine in and out.

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:16 pm

I wanted long sloping fenders. The box is bolted on right now, but will eventually be welded to the cab. Likewise, the running boards I made will be welded to the rear fenders and become a single, seamless piece.

[/img]

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:57 pm

Body work begins...
The box and cab are one unit now, welded together.

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:59 pm

Hood is almost ready.

Bodywork on the tailgate.. Apron still needs some work.

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:05 pm

I am shooting for a few KdF Type 82e features (although obviously a custom thing, so not exact!). I wanted a split dash, so I took a shot at fabricating one. Here's an early shot after I finished the first glove box.

No turning back! The '69 dash had to go!

The fabbed split dash welded in and I begin bodywork on it.

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:12 pm

Here are a few other goodies I fabbed up. I was too cheap to buy a blackout light, so I built one. Still need to install a light and wire it up (it has to work!)

I made some KdF style banana bumpers as well. The banana's are a bit beefier than they would be - but I like the look. I made brackets as well so the front bumber works with this body.

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:18 pm

The front fenders are also a nod to the KdF style. I have been welding up the holes for the signal lights and the horn grilles.

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:20 pm

The gas filler door is removed and this area is now welded up. More to come as I make more progress!

58euro Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:38 pm

WOAH! I love this! Outstanding work on this I'm not usually a fan of "beetle trucks" but the way you are doing this one i really like it! Can't wait to see this thing finished it'll be wicked

ovalhobo Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:05 pm

Thanks 58euro! It will definitely be a bit different than other beetle trucks.I was just chatting with a buddy about installing an air ride system, perhaps on an IRS pan to get rid of the rear camber. Have to have wide 5 wheels though.

Bret2094 Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:20 pm

I actually quite like this as well, and I came expecting to puke by the end of the page

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Bret

heywebonya Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:40 am

Awesome work, looks great

ovalhobo Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:32 pm

Here's a quick mockup of the Kommander Trug with the split bumper and blackout light (the light is not mounted, of course).

I'm thinking the light will sit a bit too tall. I think I'll trim it down and reweld it.