View original topic: Need help with my Engine Set-up/1641
toddwhite Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:17 pm

This is going in a 1971 camper Bus.

So Far:
Bigger valve heads
Engle 110 Cam

Undecided:
Carbs: Thinking Kadrons 40's
Dist: Thinking Vacumm Adv. What's the best complete system? MSD ect..
Exhaust: Headers but not sure what size and needs to be quiet

Any advice you guys have with the 1641 in a bus would be appreciated, I'm actually fixing this for my brother who's in Iraq and want to do it right. Reliability with some extra performance would be his preferance.

Thanks ahead, Todd

auslander Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:14 pm

I would go with an engle 100 for the cam, kadrons are a good choise, go with the sdva distributor and have the kadrons tapped for vacum advance, put a pointless system in the distributor. Put a single quiet pack on the motor.

keifernet Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:08 pm

You may want to consider not using the 87mm's ( the cylinders are thin )and go ahead and get machine in thicker wall 88mm's or step on up to 90.5's and get 1776cc's.

The bus will be alot better off if you do.

then you could stick with the 110 cam and the big valve heads and actually gain the benifit from them.

if you stay 1641 then as was stated the 100 cam is plenty.

or Jake Raby had a good sounding combo in the last post on this thread....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59388

HomespunKustom Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:25 am

Regarding heads for 1600/1641cc motors, what would be best in terms of light work on stock heads to help the motor that little bit more. I will be building a big motor later but want the most from the parts I have (I know, I know, keep dreaming right?) My stock heads are new and I am not against spending some money to have a little better performance. Any recommendations aside from port and polishing?

auslander Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:57 am

Homespun-do you not want to port and polish? You will get alot from having that done. Heads are where you will get a large part of your hp from, spend the money there. You can get different levels of head work from 200-1000. drdracingheads.com has 3 different types of head work they do this what they have for l3:.

This style of head porting is for a street car/ off road car with a increase of approx 30% more than stock hp and flow.
Power output, depending on your combo, power ranges from 75HP to 125HP.
A Full port and polish, small port, combustion chambers reshaped, intake manifolds matched, fly cut for
compression, comp valve job, springs shimmed to your cam and rockers, and flow bench tested with flow sheets.
This port combo retains bottom end torque, with excellent mid range and high end pull to 6500 rpms and increased
fuel mileage. For use on stock vw castings with stock intakes an stock exhaust valves.
Recommended mild cams shafts and mild lift .400 ~.450 numbers at the rockers. Click on link below to view Flow Charts.
DRD L3 Flow Charts

Complete and ready to run out of the box!

This porting package is for dual port vw castings castings .

DRD L3 porting labor only $195.00

AJ Simms does head work his site is www.lowbugget.com and alot of people praise his work

HomespunKustom Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:33 pm

Sorry for the confusion...I was already planning on port and polishing. The main part of the question was what else should I have to done to help the flow and HP of my motor. Thanks for the help. I noticed the site didn't say anything about machine work on stock heads, just aftermarket. Does he work on stock heads? I'll have to give him a call.

auslander Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:25 pm

The info above is for stock head castings or aftermarket

HomespunKustom Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:46 pm

As far as I know they are stock head castings. How does this affect machine work?

auslander Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:43 pm

It dosent affect it, the l3 head work is ideal for stock heads, but if you had hp heads you would bump up to l5 or l8 headwork.