TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My 181 project pics Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Banker Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Plastic Dip them black. If you don't like it, peel it off. Two cans should do all four.

KAmes Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:34 am

Banker wrote: Plastic Dip them black. If you don't like it, peel it off. Two cans should do all four.

I've never actually seen that before, just pictures, to see what it's like.

Banker Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:18 pm

I helped my daughter do her mustang last weekend. Wheels and GT emblem.

[/img]

KAmes Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:29 pm

Banker wrote: I helped my daughter do her mustang last weekend. Wheels and GT emblem.

[/img]

Cool!

imtb Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:21 pm

Looks good, you could try doing your stock wheels rattle can black and see how it looks. Black wheels would probably look good against your color.

KAmes Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:45 pm

imtb wrote: Looks good, you could try doing your stock wheels rattle can black and see how it looks. Black wheels would probably look good against your color.

I'm seriously thinking about doing this, We're thinking we might drive it on a little vacation trip coming up, and I may not be able to swing the cost of new wheels in time.

imtb Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:52 pm

You could do just one to give you an idea of of how it will look.

doublecanister Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:08 am

Hey KAmes,

not sure if you'd roll these but I found 2 sets of rims for sale on the samba.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1635429

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1609481

Might look good re-painted up fresh in black :?:
Priced right too maybe....

anways, just happened to read your post and then found these digging thru the parts for sale.

Hey, hope to see you in Ohio!
(We're "planning" on driving the THING this year so hope we make it! LOL)

T

GI Joe Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:51 am

I will be plasti dipping my wheels black, and keeping the hub caps chrome...
I may try one side in grey, to see if I like it better.... It's been a few years now, time to shake up the look a bit...

Hope to get it done this weekend, if this Arizona heat wave will move on down the line..... 95* in June is stoopid hot for East TN.... :cry:
Pics to follow!

KAmes wrote: imtb wrote: Looks good, you could try doing your stock wheels rattle can black and see how it looks. Black wheels would probably look good against your color.

I'm seriously thinking about doing this, We're thinking we might drive it on a little vacation trip coming up, and I may not be able to swing the cost of new wheels in time.

KAmes Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:21 pm

doublecanister wrote: Hey KAmes,

not sure if you'd roll these but I found 2 sets of rims for sale on the samba.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1635429

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1609481

Might look good re-painted up fresh in black :?:
Priced right too maybe....

anways, just happened to read your post and then found these digging thru the parts for sale.

Hey, hope to see you in Ohio!
(We're "planning" on driving the THING this year so hope we make it! LOL)

T

Thanks for the links. Early on I was looking at The Thing Shop's version of those, but you know, choices! If we go to Ohio we'll drive the thing too. Years ago my wife and I used to always drive our project cars on trips and vacations. Great times!

KAmes Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:30 pm

GI Joe wrote: I will be plasti dipping my wheels black, and keeping the hub caps chrome...
I may try one side in grey, to see if I like it better.... It's been a few years now, time to shake up the look a bit...

Hope to get it done this weekend, if this Arizona heat wave will move on down the line..... 95* in June is stoopid hot for East TN.... :cry:
Pics to follow!

I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out! I do like the chrome hubcaps, they remind me of the cars that I had early on that had them. Temps have been pretty mild here so far, it's been raining a lot though.

KAmes Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:54 pm

I bought this funky mat with holes in it and cut it out to fit in the back.

KAmes Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:05 pm

Today I installed air shocks on the rear for trailer towing purposes.

O'Reilly Auto parts website said these fit, but I had to move the lower mounting hole rearward one centimeter to allow the thicker shock to clear the trailing arm. Length is correct though.

I put the fill valve here.

This is with 110psi. They'll take up to 150psi.

GI Joe Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:36 pm

I had to relocate the bottom hole, in my younger years, when I tried to cheat for ground clearance and used the cheap coil over shocks.. Those shocks made it ride like a hay wagon, they weren't on there long....

Air shocks are a great idea for trailering!

KAmes wrote:
:shock: :shock:

Is that a an Illinois anti theft method, parking drivers door handle to door handle? :lol:

KAmes Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:04 am

GI Joe wrote: Is that a an Illinois anti theft method, parking drivers door handle to door handle? :lol:

It's like that commercial where the car parks right next to the other in the empty lot and dings the door. I had to climb out the passenger side. No one steals cars around here, you just never hear about it. They just break your window and steal your cassette tapes and radar detector. No wait, that's the 80s.

GI Joe Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:41 am

:lol:

In our case it was a cut side curtain and 8 tracks gone..... :cry:

imtb Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:42 am

I like that funky mat, where did you find that? I would like to make floor matts for the front with that.

KAmes Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:42 am

imtb wrote: I like that funky mat, where did you find that? I would like to make floor matts for the front with that.

I bought that in a Rural King store in the tool department. I think it was $27.00. I believe they have a website too if you don't have a store near you.

KAmes Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:34 pm

imtb wrote: I like that funky mat, where did you find that? I would like to make floor matts for the front with that.

I just got home and looked, go www.ruralking.com and put 54126 in the search. It's $19.99, the picture on the website is terrible but that's it. It's 3x5 so one mat would do both fronts. It's thick and rubbery, it would be excellent for your purpose, and it was easy to cut with a shop knife. Here's the packaging:

hobie16 Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:06 pm

GI Joe wrote: :lol:

In our case it was a cut side curtain and 8 tracks gone..... :cry:
I had an eight track in my car. I came out one morning and discovered someone had broken into the car and left me ten tapes.