TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type IV (4) Engine Tin installation Page: 1, 2  Next
barefootwestie Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:22 am

Does anyone know the sequence of order for the engine tins on a '73? Removed mine to paint and didnt take notes, ugh. I think the cylinder covers go back in first.

white74westy Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:35 am

barefootwestie wrote: Does anyone know the sequence of order for the engine tins on a '73? Removed mine to paint and didnt take notes, ugh. I think the cylinder covers go back in first.

When all else fails, go to Ratwell:
http://www.ratwell.com/dotmac/Sites/Type4/PhotoAlbum81.html

Start here about 2/3rds of the way down the page and go from there. Hope this helps! Let us know how it turns out!!! 8)

Wildthings Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:36 am

barefootwestie wrote: Does anyone know the sequence of order for the engine tins on a '73? Removed mine to paint and didnt take notes, ugh. I think the cylinder covers go back in first.

The left rear tin needs to go on before the fan shroud, IIRC and then the other fore and aft tins go on after the shroud but before the two large cylinder tins. The under cylinder tins need to go on prior to inserting the pushrods and tubes.

The rear support bar goes on before the heat exchangers.

barefootwestie Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks. I searched throughh the index but must have overlooked it.

Tcash Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:42 am

Type 4 engine tin search
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Good Luck
Tcash

Tcash Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:36 am

To link to this post
Code: [url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7758607#7758607]Type IV (4) engine tin installation[/url]

Please do not take the fan apart. You would need to realign and balance it.

Complete series playlist Part 1-6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB4soH8Wolk&list=PL5l9C9G7d1xnQvVwQeFtSE7DZuJfF_sOJ

1967250s Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:36 am

That video series needs to be a Sticky! Especially the one about the lower tin over the thermostat.

SGKent Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:36 am

Tcash wrote: awesome powdercoat type iv engine tin install part 1

OMG don't take the fan apart. I did that and it took Mark (BusDaddy) close to a year to get it balanced again. They get terrible run out in them unless they go on a lathe and are adjusted a tiny bit at a time. REALLY

captincanuck Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:45 pm

SGKent wrote: Tcash wrote: awesome powdercoat type iv engine tin install part 1

OMG don't take the fan apart. I did that and it took Mark (BusDaddy) close to a year to get it balanced again. They get terrible run out in them unless they go on a lathe and are adjusted a tiny bit at a time. REALLY

Really? Wow I was literally days away from taking mine apart to paint it. One of the last pieces left. Won't be doing that now. Thanks for the heads up

Tcash Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:09 pm

1967250s wrote: That video series needs to be a Sticky! Especially the one about the lower tin over the thermostat.

Youtube Videos

Tcash

busdaddy Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm

SGKent wrote: OMG don't take the fan apart.

a-marshal Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:04 am

Tcash wrote: 1967250s wrote: That video series needs to be a Sticky! Especially the one about the lower tin over the thermostat.

Youtube Videos

Tcash

Wow... that is an impressive list ... why didn't I see that before?
Not only should it be a sticky but it should be the first stidky..

jtauxe Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:06 am

SGKent wrote:
What if you marked exactly the position of the fan relative to the pulley, and each nut and bolt? Would it preserve its balance?

And, I wonder how much influence on throwing off the balance from paint or powdercoat?

I suppose it is not worth the risk. It's not like this demands fresh paint.

busdaddy Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:36 am

jtauxe wrote: SGKent wrote:
What if you marked exactly the position of the fan relative to the pulley, and each nut and bolt? Would it preserve its balance?

And, I wonder how much influence on throwing off the balance from paint or powdercoat?

It's less about the balance and more about the pulley running true, it's very challenging to get the ring positioned, just aligning the outer ring with the edge of the fan doesn't do it.

raygreenwood Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:40 am

jtauxe wrote: SGKent wrote:

NO.....On these fans....the balance as SGKent noted...is delicate. Not only do the main parts have to be put back together correctly....but each bolt and washer needs to go back in the same place it came from...and in the same exact position it was in.

There is a small amount of slack in the bolt holes and washers. It makes just enough of an alignment issue that even though the actual balance may not be off when you get it back together....it can run rough. They parts were assembled with schnoor type lock washers and balanced as a complete assembly.

If the fan is really crappy....you need to score around each washer, make some assembly scribe lines....and put the parts in a dedicated numbered holder so you can reassemble it. Its a lot of work.

A year or so ago...I bought a spare fan from someone in the classifieds....this person crammed it into a box that was not correctly sized and disassembled it to make it fit :roll: ....and didnt get it when I told him it was now useless without considerable work and some expense. Ray

Xevin Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:04 am

That's some crazy mechanical info you all know. I will keep saying this. The information I learn from you guys on what not to do has saved me more then once. I wasn't planing on doing that. But I now know, not to do it. So big thanks to all those above, Aeromech, Colin, and more.

BUSBOSS Tue May 10, 2016 10:35 pm

Any tips on painting the pulley while the fan is attached?

ivwshane Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm

First off, thanks for posting the awesome powder coat videos! They should help me immensely.

Sgkent, when you say, "don't take the fan apart" are you saying not to remove it at all? Or are you saying not to remove the fan pulley from the fan?

raygreenwood Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:29 pm

ivwshane wrote: First off, thanks for posting the awesome powder coat videos! They should help me immensely.

Sgkent, when you say, "don't take the fan apart" are you saying not to remove it at all? Or are you saying not to remove the fan pulley from the fan?

Do NOT remove the black steel alternator belt pulley from the cast aluminum section with the fins.

That being said....after recently going through my stack of spare fans....I have found at least three that....you would swear looking at them that they have "probably" never been apart...so they "should" be straight and true..........but after measuring I found that its painfully obvious that whoever the previous owner was....either took them apart or diddled with them.

Also...if they are dropped hard enough it can move the pulley ring. If they get corroded enough between the pulley and fin section...they can get loose.

This thread below may help to understand a little about what is entailed to get one straight. This is just one way to do it. While a lathe can help make it simpler...its not necessary at all...and it just does not take that long.....but it IS tedious.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8681745#8681745

You can use some of the information in that thread...to at least measure yours to see what condition its in....while its mounted to the crank. Ray

ivwshane Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Thanks but I'd rather be safe and not take my chances, my skill level is limited and even just removing all the tin ware is intimidating.